Antelope hunt johncushman could appreciate

Falcon75

I will start in middle. It is day two of WY Antelope rifle season for us. We are exhausted but finally ready to hunt. What really put us over the top from all the beginning stories was the decision to go try a place that is no secret anymore because of the likes of John Cushman and others the Pizza Barn in Newcastle. Only 2 hrs and 140 miles extra one way to go try prime rib night. Well for some of us (Dad and Son) it did not disappoint. My Dad even asked if WY beef so owner came over and talked with us. Got to do a little evangelizing about WY looking at changes to non resident splits etcetera and encouraged to speak up that want hunters maybe not as crazy as us but like how they come and pump money into economy. Well for the ones that didn't drive a mile on 45 min of sleep they loved it. I couldn't get past the fake mashed potatoes. Especially after the two epic meals in Denver with Jalapeño Gravy. Pics and recipe to follow later. Get the wedge fries
20210926_075549.jpg20210926_075511.jpg

One reason we didn't hunt opening day was when ready to leave Aunt's House locked keys in car running to cool down. Well 1st place said 30 hrs that was around corner to come for lock out. Next said 5 hours. State Farm got me set up for a 3 hour wait. He never came in that time so finally we decided to watch YouTube and learned how to break into back window.
we made the wire "tool" and my son was successful in his first break in! 20210926_075624.jpg
So here we go finally! Been waiting 7 years for this. Burned my points because of the threat of WY legislator. Stay tuned there will be stories I know and bootlegging for sure. Off to the hot tub for a quick soak and hopefully get my back right again.

Last edited:
Well had good soak at baymont in casper. Great temp my guess is 104.5. A skill I picked up from my investment days. Scared away the woman that was in hot tub. At least she took our picture. Now for a waffle yougert and bowl of cereal. Breakfast was OK, wish had some sausage with waffles oh well.
Maybe have one down in 2 hrs with 4 doe tags among us. But with my buck tag and opening weekend I am content to just go around and look today.20210926_081337.jpg20210926_084716.jpg

Last edited:
What changes to NR hunt quotas are you talking about that WY is looking to make? If there is a thread about that somewhere I can be pointed to I’d like to read it.

I’m looking forward to seeing how this goes, following along!

I will start in middle. It is day two of WY Antelope rifle season for us. We are exhausted but finally ready to hunt. What really put us over the top from all the beginning stories was the decision to go try a place that is no secret anymore because of the likes of John Cushman and others the Pizza Barn in Newcastle. Only 2 hrs and 140 miles extra one way to go try prime rib night. Well for some of us (Dad and Son) it did not disappoint. My Dad even asked if WY beef so owner came over and talked with us. Got to do a little evangelizing about WY looking at changes to non resident splits etcetera and encouraged to speak up that want hunters maybe not as crazy as us but like how they come and pump money into economy. Well for the ones that didn't drive a mile on 45 min of sleep they loved it. I couldn't get past the fake mashed potatoes. Especially after the two epic meals in Denver with Jalapeño Gravy. Pics and recipe to follow later. Get the wedge fries
View attachment 195604View attachment 195605

One reason we didn't hunt opening day was when ready to leave Aunt's House locked keys in car running to cool down. Well 1st place said 30 hrs that was around corner to come for lock out. Next said 5 hours. State Farm got me set up for a 3 hour wait. He never came in that time so finally we decided to watch YouTube and learned how to break into back window.
we made the wire "tool" and my son was successful in his first break in! View attachment 195607
So here we go finally! Been waiting 7 years for this. Burned my points because of the threat of WY legislator. Stay tuned there will be stories I know and bootlegging for sure. Off to the hot tub for a quick soak and hopefully get my back right again.
Plastic chainsaw wedge and something to reach/press/hook the unlock button. I can be in a car in less then 1 minute.

That prime rib has me salivating!

Ok... good middle ground for a thread. Where's the horns and does? I like the slabs of prime, the hotel complimentary breakfast (w/o sausage? Google downgrade review! :) ), and the R&R. Would have been better with pole dancing midgets for an in-titled, Cushman thread though younger gent involved, I can empathize for the valued R&R fathers and sons share for this lope thread.

Looking forward to this one unfolding.

What changes to NR hunt quotas are you talking about that WY is looking to make? If there is a thread about that somewhere I can be pointed to I’d like to read it.

I’m looking forward to seeing how this goes, following along!
Thread 'And the Hits just keep on coming....WY now.' https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/and-the-hits-just-keep-on-coming-wy-now.305621/

Ok... good middle ground for a thread. Where's the horns and does? I like the slabs of prime, the hotel complimentary breakfast (w/o sausage? Google downgrade review! :) ), and the R&R. Would have been better with pole dancing midgets for an in-titled, Cushman thread though younger gent involved, I can empathize for the valued R&R fathers and sons share for this lope thread.

Looking forward to this one unfolding.
Be patient

In area that we were barely legal .95 of 1 mile from irrigation we only saw 1 buck with 2 does with fawns in area too close to house. Last year we had to bust through tons and shot at .95 and .90 away from irrigation. Oh well cross that spot off for now. My son clicked on them few times to get jitters out.20210926_125432.jpg

So both my son and dad shot today. 2 shots each 148 yards and then 272 for my son. 40-50 yards for my dad. All misses. We went to blm land and each shot 120 yards and 240. Guns were still on.
We left dad at a old tank and just as leaving look back at him cause really slow and see some coming in. So we get back to him Son says I can make that so give him green. Missed and went off slow but never went down. We sent dad to place where we kept seeing them run through. We make big loop and send some his way. He never gets down just stays still. Eventually we hear shot. I almost shot one that sneaked in out where we were glossing. Son was aging me on but got a good lead from a fellow hunt talker and couldn't tell if really good but was best one yet. We saw more as day wore on and we walked around. Finished by checking out spot I read years ago that someone always does well in. Was the most vertical I have hunted Antelope in. Only saw a few compared to where flat.
Got to home renting in Casper. Nice to cook a meal. So easy brown 1lb sausage dump coleslaw in little piece ginger minced and after few min add couple packets of soy sauce and garlic powder and S & P. 20210926_135016.jpg20210926_215909.jpg20210926_215556.jpg20210926_221730.jpg

Just got back and ate green chili with chunk of prime rib and beer. Thanks to a pin a received from fellow hunt talker we got 3 Antelope down. One was a cluster story to follow. Broke everything wanted to do look over good and shoot on non running. antelope. Plug for Randy's knife really sharp. Touched my finger and bled everywhere. Nice having a knife that is sharp for 3 Antelope. 20210928_025509.jpg20210928_024006.jpg20210928_024940.jpg20210928_025032.jpg20210928_025151.jpg

Last edited:
Well rolled out of bed 1030 from going to sleep 3am. Put meat out to crust and clean few things up. Ate lunch finally. We have been to busy to bother. Going to see if get dad an Antelope and try for some trout. Here is pic from hunt talker that gave us good tip on where to go. Wish saw pic before I got mine. Man does the man bun 6.5 do damage on a front shoulder. 20210928_142643.jpg20210928_142717.jpgScreenshot_20210928-123644_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210928-123639_Chrome.jpg

Got going 4 pm today. Saw some does by road went down past and parked. Worked back to them and houses on other side so flanked them. They moved up hill away from anything. 336 range. Dad said he was going to wait. Put rifle up on sticks for him. Moved and got a little farther. Boom. Doe drops taking off running down hill. Has little tiny horns but biggest we have had to date. All our mature does have had them this year and last and fawn last year. Wonder if genetics or alfalfa fields giving nutrition. Any thoughts? Now for some tenderloin and moose drool.20210928_205114.jpg

Last edited:
Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back