Antelope European Mounts in Boise

I am currently trying to get a taxi in Caldwell to do mine. Will let you know what prices he comes up with and if his work looks nice when I see it.

DO NOT I repeat DO NOT TAKE it to Bare Bones in Boise he will not take the horns off and the bugs eat the horns all the way up to the prongs. I was pissed when I got mine back after 2 YEARS of him telling me they would be done in the next month. FYI

DO NOT I repeat DO NOT TAKE it to Bare Bones in Boise he will not take the horns off and the bugs eat the horns all the way up to the prongs. I was pissed when I got mine back after 2 YEARS of him telling me they would be done in the next month. FYI

This was posted a couple of years ago. Don't know if anyone here ever had this guy do work for them.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=237103

WOW... those are 2 mixed reviews.................

Ha, I didn't realize it was the same place...need to pay attention.

Yep the same place. Unfortunately I learned to not take antelope to the guy either. He does good work on anything that doesn't require the horn to be pulled off first. You live and learn I guess.

Thanks for the responses guys. I might have this covered now. Bugler where is your Idaho loper? Still hunting him?

boiling my kids lope skull as I type this. I am going to try something else this year, i was tld that after a few hours of boiling to take a pressure washer to it and it works great to get the tough stuff on the back of the head and the brains out.

I am working on one now too. For the tough stuff on the back of the head I use a small stiff wire brush.

Your correct ID Bugler my deer turned out GREAT AFTER 1.5 years of B.S. I was going to have to take him to court this month but he finally got around to finishing my goat after 2.3 YEARS !! Again it looked like CRAP

Also IDB just a FYI last Sunday a guy took a legitimate 85 inch goat out of your lope unit( Russ Meyers scored it) but its not the tall one we have seen the last 2 years. A buddy missed one he said was over 17.5 tall I'm guessing that was the buck we have been watching, so go put the smack down on him I would love to see some pic's up close of him.

Muley Crazy.... Russ lives in my Subdivision. Does he know where the twin to the 85"er is ? I'm sure Bugler would be appreciative :D :D

I took a couple of heads to Bare Bones a couple of seasons back and the guy lied to me and strung me along for months...pure BS. I began to think I'd never see my heads again. I made a surprise visit and found out his colony was dead and all his work was just sitting around collecting dust. I fricken blew up on him and hounded him until he was sick of the sight of me...I finally got my heads about 6 months late. Beware!

Your correct ID Bugler my deer turned out GREAT AFTER 1.5 years of B.S. I was going to have to take him to court this month but he finally got around to finishing my goat after 2.3 YEARS !! Again it looked like CRAP

Also IDB just a FYI last Sunday a guy took a legitimate 85 inch goat out of your lope unit( Russ Meyers scored it) but its not the tall one we have seen the last 2 years. A buddy missed one he said was over 17.5 tall I'm guessing that was the buck we have been watching, so go put the smack down on him I would love to see some pic's up close of him.
Wow you are killing me. I've spent some time on the unit and have seen a handful of mid to high 70 bucks. I just can't find that buck I think breaks that 80" mark. I'm gone this weekend but will be hitting it hard the following week to try and find a good one. Any pics of the 85" or the 17.5" buck? I'll post some pics when I get home of some of the bucks I have found.

Hope to have some pic's tomorrow. The 17.5 inch tall buck is still alive and well I have a pic of him form about 3 years ago (IF it is the same buck) You should have the whole unit to yourself by now. Take your time and good luck !!

Here's what I do -
First off- antelope are very greasy. Take off as much meat as you can, and by all means - take the brains out before boiling. The brains will cook grease into the bones that you will never get out. I use a long screw driver, and mix the brains up, and pull them out the back of the skull. This will take a about five minutes. I then soak the skull in water up to the base of the hons for a few days minimum - it will stink. The horns should pull in a day or two. In fact, when the weather is really warm, I'll just let the skull keep soaking, and the meat will rot off within a week.
If I do decide to simmer the skull (never let the water reach a boil), I simmer it in Sal Soda (Washing Soda). Simmer it for 15-20 minutes, take it out and go to work with pliars and a knife. If not clean yet, simmer for a nother 15-20 minutes.
Once the skull is clean, I put back in warm water with Dawn dish detergent. This will degrease the skull. Change the water daily. Give a week or two. Be sure to check the bottom of the bucket for teeth that might have fallen out. Just glue them in when you are done.
After degreasing, I mix up 40 volume peroxide with bleaching powder (you can find both a beauty supply stores) and rub it all over the skull, and pour some down the nasal cavity. Wrap in seran wrap and either place outside in the sun, or near a heater. The peroxide is activated by heat. If it's cool outside, I prefer the floor heater. All you need is a couple of hours, then wash off peroxide. Once the skull is dry, I bondo or expoxy the horns back on. I seal the skull with a matte poly-urethane. Hope this helps.

Hope to have some pic's tomorrow. The 17.5 inch tall buck is still alive and well I have a pic of him form about 3 years ago (IF it is the same buck) You should have the whole unit to yourself by now. Take your time and good luck!!
Thanks buddy. I was out there a couple of days ago and saw a few guys still out there. One guy was shooting at one of the bucks in the pic but he was unsuccessful. Not sure how as he stood there while I took a picture of him at 200 yards. I hope your right there will be less people around chasing them. I'll give them a break this weekend but will hit it hard again the next.

Here are a few pics.

This is the buck the guy shot at but missed.
ICAM0163.jpg

Crappy picture but this buck is pretty good. Has some nice mass.
ICAM0140.jpg

Nice long buck but has no prongs. A lot of the bucks out here have week prongs.
ICAM0120.jpg

Do you guys remember captian hook?
IMGA0087.jpg

IMGA0093.jpg

Here is his twin but about 100 miles away and a few years later. I think this buck is very cool and might be in trouble if I don't find a bigger buck.
ICAM0091.jpg

ICAM0021.jpg

ICAM0032.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back