Antelope Calls/Tactics?

Colberjs

A buddy and I will be chasing antelope for the first time in a couple weeks. I didn't think there was any such thing as an antelope call. Then I found this at Bass Pro. Does it work?

He has a Montana cow decoy and I will take a pop-up blind for water holes. I had a local tell me to try a white flag on a pole. Said their curiosity sometimes will draw them in. A game warden advised using a cutout silouhette of a yucca cactus as a "decoy".

Any other advice? Thinking about ordering a Be The Decoy.

Are you archery hunting or rifle hunting? Don't buy that call.

They will try to sell a call for anything, now, won't they? Don't buy that call!! Don't get your truck stuck in the mud either, like some Hunt Talkers did :D

Archery hunting. I had just had a discussion with the guy I'm going with that I had never heard of an antelope call and didn't think they made one. I searched antelope on BPS site looking for a decoy and saw it. I kind of assumed it was useless.

I don't think mud will be a problem. Lol.

Will other people be rifle hunting? Will you be on public? I would be very careful in how you use a decoy if there are going to be rifle hunters around.

Also, where are you going to be hunting? Sitting a waterhole this late in the season might not be that productive, unless it is still really dry/hot.

While predator hunting with a distress call, I have had antelope come in on a dead run. I have never tried it while actually hunting antelope.

Will other people be rifle hunting? Will you be on public? I would be very careful in how you use a decoy if there are going to be rifle hunters around.

Also, where are you going to be hunting? Sitting a waterhole this late in the season might not be that productive, unless it is still really dry/hot.

There may be rifle hunters around. I think they may be in private land while we're on public. We will be in the Oklahoma panhandle close to New Mexico.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back