Another Spotting Scope Thread

Outdooraddict

Hey Guys,

I'm in the market for a new spotting scope. I figure I have around $500-$600 to spend- closer to $500 would be great! Right now I have an Alpen 745, and while their warranty is AWESOME (sent a scope in twice and was replaced) it's just not doing the trick. It works fairly well during the day, but is sub-par in low light conditions. When its getting dark, I throw on a pair of Vortex Viper HD binos (10x42) on the tripod that perform great in low light (they are awesome).

I guess that I am looking for a spotting scope that will work the same (or better) in low light conditions and have the same optical resolution (or better- of course) as my Vortex binos, with the magnification of a spotting scope. I keep hearing of the Theron Saker, but just can't believe it would accomplish this at that price. Experience with ANY spotting scopes that would "fit the bill" would be appreciated.

THANKS!

The reality is that the higher the magnification the darker the image will be. There is a calculation of exit pupil size that optics are tied to. I would love to sell you a new spotter but I think you are asking for something that is not going to happen. Going to an 80mm or larger objective is the only real option because it raises the exit pupil size.

Well, learn me something schmaltz! I appreciate your knowledge. I'm not expecting to use the spotter at 60x magnification at dusk, I would just like to see further than my binos. Right now, my current scope is useless at 20X. I did a little researching and found that exit pupil/light transmission is the ratio of a glass' objective lens to its magnification. So (correct me if I'm wrong), my Vortex would have an exit pupil of 4.2. Now, I have other binos that have the same magnification and objective, but my Vipers have much better light transmission.

Am I understanding you that I should find something with an 80mm objective so I can get closer to the 4.2 exit pupil? Also, I kind of figured that improving the glass would also improve light transmission? Let me me know.

Going to 80mm is going to get far more results than paying more for a higher end 60mm spotter. Even the Euro top dogs can only add minimal advantages over moderate and low priced glass. But again, it's all about exit pupil size as you have researched correctly I may add. So yes I would look at 80 or bigger for what you want.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back