MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Another one bites the dust.

engman99

As I have mentioned in earlier posts,I got my turkey,called one in for my cousin the same day,then Tuesday I called another one in for a friend but he never got a shot.Well my friend(Mike Wolf)wanted me to take him again Thursday.Here is the story.

Mike showed up at the house Thursday morning about 30 mins before daylight.I jumped in his truck and we took off down the road.I grunted out the appropriat rights and lefts and we were soon at one of my honey holes.
We quietly climbed a ridge in the gray light of predawn all the while anticipating the first gobble of the morning.30 minutes and several crow calls later we were still listening to silence.
"Well" I said,"I want to drive around and check another spot before we start walking the ridges." Mike was all for that because he knew that once I hit the ridges that I would not come out until I had covered about 5 or 6 miles.
We heard 2 birds at my next spot,but they were henned up.I tried to circle them,but they had shut up by the time I got around them.I made my usual loop through the hills and hollers with not a gobble to show for my effort.
It was now 9:30 and time to get some coffee and snacks on the way to a different spot.We pulled into my next spot with renewed energy do to a healthy dose of caffeine and sugar.I stuck my box call out the window of the truck and let rip with a few yelps after we had sat there a few minutes to let the area calm down.Nothing.We sat 10 more minutes and I tried again.Still nothing.I told Mike to turn around and drive to the top of the hill.We waited 5 minutes at the top of the hill and I tried the box call again.This time we hit paydirt.2 different birds answered and one of them was close.I told Mike that we would wait a few minutes and see if he would answer a crow call.After about a 10 minute wait I hit the crow call and he gobbled immediatly.
We hustled over the hill and got set up.We called a few times and got no response.I tried again and this time he gobbled but had moved farther away.
I told Mike to grab his stuff and head back to the road, I wanted to circle the bird and set up on the other side of it. After a quick walk I hit the crow call and he gobbled, and a hen cut back at him. I knew then I had my work cut out for me. We hurried over the hill and to the top of the next knoll, where I let out a soft series of yelps. Instantly the hen cut back at me and the tom gobbled. We hit the ground in the prone position and I cut back at the hen as loud as I could. From that point on me and the hen were cutting back and forth at the top of our lungs, and the tom was gobbling his head off. The hen soon came in and I let her walk past. I then scared her off by waving my arms and throwing stuff at her. I cut loudly to cover her alarm putts, the gobbler was still very worked up but was hung up on the other side of a ditch. I then got out another call and cut furiously on it and my mouth call. Then I grabbed my gobble tube and gobbled. The gobbler could take no more. He came running. He weighed 21 lbs, 9 inch beard, and had 3/4 inch spurs.

engeman, great story and great hunt! I got pumped just reading about it. Congrats!SR

Back