Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Another Montana Law Breaker

Finalshot

Townsend outfitter sentenced for illegal hunting

GREAT FALLS (AP) — A Townsend man accused of illegally taking clients big-game hunting in the Lewis and Clark National Forest was sentenced to probation and fined $10,000 Thursday.

Lamonte J. Schnur pleaded guilty in federal court in November to five counts of conducting service or work activity which was not authorized by federal law.

Court documents say Schnur provided outfitting and guiding services to 20 clients, and received at least $56,590 for his services.

He was expressly denied permission by the Forest Service to provide such services, court documents said.

I'm not sorry that Monte got nailed. That dude is a real piece of work.

My best friend ran into him while hunting sheep in one of the unlimited areas. Monte told my friend to "move your tent, its spooking my horses." My buddy told him to go to hell and proceeded to kill a very large unlimited ram a couple days later (and he didnt move his tent either). Monte was pretty upset that his client didnt get the sheep.

A couple years later I ran into Monte hunting in the same sheep area. I told him about my buddy killing the ram in the basin I was glassing. He said, "tell your buddy he's lucky I didnt turn him in for shooting before legal light." Then he and his client took off for their camp, obviously mad I was hunting "his" basin.

My buddy is the most ethical and honest person I know and I asked him about it. He said, "what?, it was 10 minutes before sunrise and 20 minutes into legal shooting light."

I guess I'll have that last laugh now.

he may be guilty as hell but,..........
whenever there are federal undercover agents involved in a sting operation im always a little suspicious of their findings........

That dude is a real piece of work.
did you tell him he was a dumb-ass?

Monte was pretty upset that his client didnt get the sheep.
how would you know that?

obviously mad I was hunting "his" basin
did he say that?.....or did he make you feel like you were hunting in "his" basin?

Hey JB,

Do you ever hunt?

I didnt think so.

But to answer your idiotic questions.

Yes I did argue with him when he told me my buddy shot early. I didnt really know, other than I know my best friend well enough to know he'd never do anything to compromise his hunting privileges.

How did I know he was upset my friend killed that ram? How about the loss of a $5k trophy fee that he charges for the harvest of a ram? Would you be upset that a "punk kid" (to quote Monte the grouch) shot a ram that your client was almost in rifle-range of?

As to if he was mad about me hunting "his" basin, yeah he was pissed. He told me, "hey, I usually hunt this basin every day." I said, "well, I'm hunting it today, maybe you should have got up earlier."

His entire sheep hunting strategy was to walk 500 yards, well after daylight, to "his basin", sit there for an hour and then walk back to camp. Speaking of his camp...he plops his camp down right in the middle of one of the best sheep spots in the entire unit. I saw several mature rams on scouting trips within feet of where he chooses to camp.

I judge character pretty well, and this latest news came as no shock to me. The guy has a bad attitude which likely got him busted. I'm sure he thought the gubmint couldnt tell him where he could and couldnt guide hunters. Guess what...he thought wrong and is paying the piper.

If you'd ever get off the porch, you wouldnt have to ask such dumb questions.

JB,

Heres the ram and country in question. Enjoy the pics because its about as close as you'll ever get to having the stones to even attempt a hunt like that.

Dougsunlimram.JPG

gard1.JPG

Here'a another strange spin, according to Montana Governors office, Mary Ellen Schnur of Townsend, representing Monte's Guiding & Mountain Outfitting, was appointed to the Montana State Tourism Advisory Council. I'm not sure if the guide service still is on the Council, or if Mary is realated to Monte, but if there is a connection, I'm sure the Governors office will pay them a visit over this deal. I cant imagine the State of Montana encourages tourists to use a guide service whos owner has been convicted of illeagal hunting. . .

Here's a link the list of who's on the tourims council, Monte's guide service is listed at the bottom of the page.
http://governor.mt.gov/news/pr.asp?ID=236

The thing thats going to really be interesting to see is how the guides and outfitters association acts on this issue.

I bet they dont revoke his outfitting license.

A 10k slap on the hand for 59K in profits. Unbelievable.

I hope the word gets out and people just refuse to book with this clown.

How did I know he was upset my friend killed that ram? How about the loss of a $5k trophy fee that he charges for the harvest of a ram
asspimple, you dont know if his client got a ram or not.......as not collecting 5k, it's not really a big deal, its part of doing business......besides, what you make in a year, he makes in four weeks....you cant relate to how he feels to loose a trophy fee. you fall under a different class buzz.

I judge character pretty well, and this latest news came as no shock to me. The guy has a bad attitude which likely got him busted.

i judge character pretty well myself, and i say you are full of shit, your account of your run in with Monte is exaggerated. your a rude little smuck who needs bitch slapped. all bark and no bite.

As to if he was mad about me hunting "his" basin, yeah he was pissed. He told me, "hey, I usually hunt this basin every day." I said, "well, I'm hunting it today, maybe you should have got up earlier."

so he never said it was "his" basin you made that part up.

besides, what you make in a year, he makes in four weeks
I highly doubt that. I've heard about this guy quite a bit over the years. They should have yanked his license. He shouldn't be allowed to outfit/guide.

JB, is he married to your half-sister or something? I want to see the cage fight between you and Buzz. My money isn't on you.

Lamonte Professional Affiliations:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
North American Hunting Club (approved outfitter)
Foundation for North American Wild Sheep (outfitter advisory board member)
Safari Club International (certified scorer)
Montana Outfitters & Guides Association (founding member)
FNAWS Montana Chapter (founding member & first president)
SCI Southwest Montana Chapter

Wonder if any of these will change? :(

:rolleyes:
JB, is he married to your half-sister or something? I want to see the cage fight between you and Buzz. My money isn't on you.

assholio chimes in.......go play shitstain!

Hey BJ,

Yes, I do know his client didnt get a ram that year, the one my buddy killed was one of two sheep killed by local resident hunters that year (both unguided). You can look up the harvest reports for sheep in any unlimited area, but since you really arent a hunter I wouldnt expect you to know that. Monte's fat client went home with an expensive camping trip...as do a vast majority of his clients. The year I ran into Schnur, there were NO sheep harvested at all...

I suggest you book a hunt with Schnur...you two would likely make a great pair and could perhaps take a film crew and record Brokeback Mountain II, entitled: "JB gives it to the full-Monte".

I'm sad to hear Monte would do this. Mary Ellen is his wife. Fine is way light. He should lose his outfitting licence. Don't think he will be one of the spotters in this years sheep fundraiser in Missoula.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back