Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Another Grinding Question

emrah1028

Didn't want to thread-jack the other question regarding grinding your own meat. My question is in regards to making ground venison for burgers specifically. Last time I ground it up and introduced pork fat into the mix. Can't remember what percentage. It turned out pretty good but...

I'm confused about grinding pork shoulder into the equation. If I grind up pork shoulder, do I still need to add fat? Does the shoulder have enough fat content to make burgers that will stick together? For burgers, I'm ok with just the flavor of ground venison. I would only add pork shoulder for the fat content. Figure it's easier grinding pork shoulder than fat (gets gummy when it warms up!)

Emrah

Contrary to most, I never add any suet, pork or beef, to my burger. When preparing for burgers, meat loaf, or other burger dish I add an egg and/or bread crumbs or cracker crumbs, along with the herbs, spices, and other ingredients to make a tasty burger. The burgers hold together just great and I have had nothing but compliments.

i have made it with both pork shoulder or fatty brisket. either way two parts venison to one part of the other. you dont need to add any fat. seems to come out like 92% lean in appearance. i always grind it course first the remix and grind it smaller. has worked well for me in the past. if using pork i tend to add seasoning. with brisket i just grind it straight. give it a try.

why even worry about pork shoulder? Dude....BACON.....or at the least BACON ends.

Every man wants his burger to be a bacon burger so why not make that happen?

Eggs is the answer. I also mix eggs into my burger if I'm making patties. They make lean burger hold together well.

I third the bacon suggestion.

What about elk tacos? Do you put eggs in your elk taco mix? Thats not american. If you grind all your burger with bacon you are ready for EVERYTHING. Taco's, spagetti, lasagna etc

Don't go cheap on the bacon either. Buy the good stuff.

Clearly there are options.I have never had problems with pure ground elk meat holding together, that just doesn't ring true.The pork butt is a good choice for additive since it generally consists of 50% fat/50% lean.As a variety I will add 5-7% pork butt to my ground elk for flavor, and approx. 10% for bulk sausage.This year my local supplier was out of pork butt and only had pure pork fat,Big mistake to use this ,even if frozen, pure pork fat is really difficult to work with.Its said frozen pork additive spoils rather quickly in your ground meat,never had problems here,but generally we eat ours up within the year.I also think poor packaging could contribute to this.So for a quick break-down...1).get your game meat trimmed 2),semi-freeze pork butt and game meat, 3) grind game once 4) grind pork butt, 5) mix the two together in a bucket 6) run it through the grinder /stuffing tube into packaging bags.I don't care to spend more time than necessary so i cut corners as best i can.The meat is patiently trimmed but after that I hasten the process.I leave the ground course .So ...one guys method!

Contrary to most, I never add any suet, pork or beef, to my burger. When preparing for burgers, meat loaf, or other burger dish I add an egg and/or bread crumbs or cracker crumbs, along with the herbs, spices, and other ingredients to make a tasty burger. The burgers hold together just great and I have had nothing but compliments.

I agree. As I stated in the other thread, the only reason to add fat is to hold the meat together and make it less likely to stick to a grill.

The pork has plenty of fat in it. We often use that when making summer sausage, as it needs a bit of grease also for the same reason.

Don't get hung up on percentages. Just add a little a go for it. If it is not enough, then add a bit of beef burger or ground pork when you get ready to cook it. It is not really a big deal.

Straight wild meat makes really great dishes where the meat does not have to stick together. Spaghetti, taco pie, meatloaf, chile etc. are great with the plain meat. The fat is not necessary for taste, and quite frankly, I don't like any more grease in my meat than I absolutely need. The good thing about wild meat is that it is very healthy to eat. If you want greasy crap, then go buy beef or pork to start with.

"Do you put eggs in your elk taco mix?" Heck no! You are not forming taco patties to put on the grille.
As Hooper said, the meat makes excellent dishes where the meat does not have to stick together. To reap the full benefits of the wild healthy lean meat, don't add the other greasy stuff.

But to each his own according to individual tastes. Last batch of elk burgers on Friday included bread crumbs and chopped bacon, but no eggs due to my grandson's allergy. He said the burgers were the best ever and he wants me to be his personal chef.

Either or to answer your question. 10-40%. We use pork shoulder. Never tried cheap bacon, but 'bacon tastes good'.

And. Set aside 30 - 40 lbs and make some sausage / brats. Add spices and get creative! We make a lot of italian, but the german is not bad either.
>>>I use egg and seasoned bread crumbs when making 'thatchersmashburgers'!

Bacon by itself does not add enough grease unless you put in a lot. We use bacon for flavor and then add some lean beef or a little pork for the grease factor. Nothing better than bacon burgers with pickled jalepenos and even some high-temp cheese ground in.

We grind in 15% fatty brisket to ours and then we make a smaller percentage where we grind in 10% bacon ends/pieces

Thanks for the replies. For the record, last time I ground venison for burgers, I did add egg and breadcrumbs. Jalepenos too. In fact, I do that with ANY burger patty I make. I think I'll try the pork shoulder route this year.

Emrah

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back