Another BIG Bear

danr55

The only info I have on this bear is part of a story. Seemingly the bear was hunted, then hunter, then dinner guest then dead.

As I am told they started tracking the bear in the early afternoon, and the bear doubled back and crossed their track. He then started following the hunters. By the time they figured out what was going on, the bear caught up to them and was about to enjoy a meal. The hunters were just a little faster and better armed. The look on this guys face kind on makes me believe that story. If it's not true, it would still read good in Eastmans Journal.......:cool:

View

View

That bear was not 12'6" and 1600lbs. it was around 10ft approximately 1200lbs and had a skull of 29". Thats my sheep hunting partner. he e-mailed me when they got home. This whole story is worse than a soap opera. The bear gets bigger every time I hear it. The bear wasnt tracking them. they shot the bear before it even seen them. The first shot was the killing shot. it went in just above and to the right of the snout and the bullet lodged in the brain. Then it got pissed but before they could fire again it just dropped dead. They still shot it a few more times to make sure. The gun used was a 338winny. I'm not sure what bullet but I can find out if anybody is interested. It was shot at about 10yards.

Yes his name was Ted, the other guy with him was Jim. Jim was using a 300winny. The reason it was shot in the head was because the bear was casually walking towards them. Ted was waiting for a good shoulder shot but it didnt present itself so he aimed for the eyeball and shot.
I guess that when the bear was hit it stood up and opened his mouth as if to growl but didnt make any noise. I guess when you get shot in the mouth with a 338 you cant make to much noise ;)
The he said that it was like someone pulled his legs out from under him and the bear just dropped dead.
The pucker factor was definitly up because they knew that if it was a bad shot they would be screwed.
I got an e-mail out to Jim to see what his exact measurments were and what bullet was used.

Thanks for the true story .... Kinda funny how thses things can turn into urbann legens.. just as bad as that big elk topic. that one goes around every years and someone always has a differnt story....

Delw

Hmm, ain't this special. Funny how things get started and just kind a grow from there. Maybe from now on, just pictures and no text would be a good idea.

Thanks for setting the record straight. :cool:

Was the guy that told you this 15 foot man eating bear story the same one that told you about the 500 net typical AZ elk? :rolleyes: :D
Just giving you a hard time ;)

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-12-2001 16:53: Message edited by: Weekend Warrior ]</font>

Hey Guys,

Even though that paticular story was not true. I sat down and read thru the B&C book a couple of years ago after I got my Dad-in-law's Grizz entered and MOST of the Stories
(the top ten entries have the stories included) in the Grizzly section began with a hunter hunting and ended crossing their on tracks as the bear came around behind the hunter.......and MOST shots were VERY close
(as in TOO CLOSE)

It was some good reading though, It also helped explain the close shots!
:D

Also on Sunday (the 16th) in our newspaper will be the story. www.adn.com

They interviewed Ted and got Jims pics for the article. Jim said they are also gonna tell where it was shot exactly.

10sq is still monster in any book. If the bear is close it would look huger than dead. Then to have it comming in at close range. To take a face shot. I hunt almost soley with a bow. I think a treestand is in order here. The bear might not have been stalking. But thin again it might have and just had no fear of what its quarry was... :eek: :eek:

Just bringing this back to the topside.Some people that I met at the Sportsman show were looking for this picture and wanted to know the true story on this Bear.Here you go Washington State Big Game Council.If the pic doesnt show up click on the link thats 3 posts up,I know that one works.
:D

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-28-2002 11:48: Message edited by: Kraven ]</font>

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back