Yeti GOBOX Collection

Another Adult Onset Hunter from Denver

mcmc

Hi everyone,

My name is McCain. I'm new to HuntTalk and I've read several people advising new members to post a bit about themselves here. So here goes...

I grew up on the east coast in a family that fished a lot and started getting serious about fly fishing about ten years ago. I moved to CO in 2013 and have since become obsessed with fishing the backcountry, especially alpine lakes. I did some fun trips to fish New Zealand and British Columbia in recent years, as well as spending a week or two each summer fishing the Winds. I

In 2018, a good friend invited me to tag along on his elk hunt here in CO. We didn't see much in the way of game, but by the end of the first day, I was having so much fun that I knew I was in trouble... I was going to have to buy a rifle, some binos, tags, and all the other fun stuff that I don't have enough money for!

In 2019 my hunting friend had serious medical issues that prevented him from being able to hunt with me that year (I knew so little I didn't go by myself). Then in 2020 I wasn't able to draw the same tags as him (he had more pts than me in CO). I joined him for his first rifle elk hunt this past year and had a blast even though we were unable to shoot a bull. I bought a cow elk tag and hunted as hard as I could but couldn't find any cows in 5 days.

So I'm looking at where to apply this year in CO and maybe elsewhere. Mostly on HT just trying to absorb information from more experienced hunters and contributing what I can to the forum.

Cheers,
Mc

as well as spending a week or two each summer fishing the Winds.
I haven’t spent a full week in there for 20 years and it bothers me every time I poke around the upper green.

welcome aboard from south of Denver!

I haven’t spent a full week in there for 20 years and it bothers me every time I poke around the upper green.

welcome aboard from south of Denver!
There are so many amazing lakes to explore back in there, @cedahm. If you ever get the itch to go, feel free to reach out and I'll try to point you in a good direction.

Welcome! new to HT as well and also in Denver. Last year was my first year, did one hunt 2nd rifle in gmu 43. tough hunt but we did 12-18miles a day , so fun but no elk by the end. then did a NM hunt in late December and got myself a cow, freezer is full and fam is happy! 1st year elk hunting and got mine after a 3 hour stalk, 400 yard army crawl through a snow field to get into range. would a tiny tree and waited. eventually got a 250 yard shot. dropped it! best feeling ever.Solo hunt and clean. Thanks to all the research and hours on YouTube videos I got it all clean doing the gutless method. doing loads of research to see what units im going to hunt this year. Ill be hunting archery and 2nd rifle. God I love the fall

Attachments

• 72A746AB-01C2-4F0E-A871-933CB18D311E.jpeg
    72A746AB-01C2-4F0E-A871-933CB18D311E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
Welcome. Be sure to get preference points for EVERY species. MAybe you already are but dont be that guy that 5 years down the line says, gee maybe I do want to hunt sheep/goat/skunk or whatever you could have ben building point for. Only exception is of course drawing a 1st choice limited tag instead of adding a pref point. Good luck!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back