MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Another 'Access' Project in Need of Sportsmen's Support

BigHornRam

Looks like the NC may have overplayed their hand on this one. Time for Sportsmen's Groups to step up and help fund this 'access".

Conservation groups saw ‘one shot' for deal with Plum Creek
By MICHAEL JAMISON of the Missoulian

Last summer, when conservationists pitched a plan to buy 310,000 acres of Montana timberland for $500 million, the public offered some advice - “Don't get snookered.”

It was, after all, taxpayer money that would fund at least half of the deal.

“So we were very careful,” said Jamie Williams. “This didn't happen overnight.”

For decades, Williams and his colleagues at The Nature Conservancy had been slowly buying up industrial timberland, parcel by parcel, filling in the forested checkerboard of public-private ownership.

Much of the land was owned by Plum Creek Timber Co., which was increasingly selling off acres for real estate development.

That alarmed TNC, which conserves land for critters, and it also caught the attention of the Trust for Public Lands, which conserves access for people.

“We were both going after the checkerboard,” said TPL's Eric Love, “but we were moving too slowly.”

“We'd been working in these communities, some of them for 30 years,” Williams said, “and what we were hearing loud and clear is that while the collaborative work was great, there were big concerns about large blocks of timberlands that could come onto the market all at once.”

Plum Creek owned more than a million acres in Montana - Love called it a “ticking time bomb” - and if a sizable chunk went to real estate, “it could undermine much of what had been done.”

Real estate prices were skyrocketing, and Forest Service estimates suggested some 44 million acres of working forest could be out of work by 2030, growing trophy homes instead of timber.

“This,” Love said, “was our last chance.”

But they needed to buy wholesale, in a “super-size” project.

By fall 2007, Love and Williams had hit the books. They had decades of community input from across western Montana, and so knew which high-priority acres to target. They also had a land-purchase wish list crafted by the Forest Service, and critical habitat maps drawn by state wildlife officials, and conservation goals drafted by Montana land managers.

“This wasn't a new idea,” Love said. “It was part of a larger conversation that had been going on for years.”

The purchase map was no surprise. The Swan. Fish Creek. Lolo. Potomac.

Trouble was, those acres weren't for sale.

“They said they'd think about it,” Love said. “They didn't really know if we were for real.”

And to be honest, Love and Williams didn't know if they were for real, either.

A deal this size, they knew, would require not just TNC and TPL, but also the local communities, the state, the feds. They had run the numbers, knew the value, and figured they could raise maybe 20 percent from private sources.

As to the other

80 percent, “honestly,” Love said, “at the time, we didn't know.”

What Love needed was something “magical,” something big enough to create its own gravity, drawing money into its orbit.

That something emerged in spring 2008, when Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., crafted legislation that would make federal money available for just this sort of conservation project.

The senator, the company and the conservationists went public in June with the Montana Legacy Project, the largest conservation land deal in U.S. history.

Half the money -

$250 million - would come from the Baucus bill, and the lands bought with that public investment would go straight into Forest Service ownership.

TNC and TPL were on the hook for the other half, although they hoped - and still hope - for some investment by the state.

A round of 60 or so public meetings helped to settle which lands to buy with which pot, and the first phase - 111,000 acres purchased with $150 million in private funds - closed in December 2008. The money was loaned against TNC and TPL assets, and the groups now hope to re-sell the acres, possibly to the state, among others.

“We don't want to be the end-holder of those lands,” Love said.

Phase II, which involved the federal money, closed last month - $250 million for 111,000 prime acres in the Lolo and Blackfoot valleys, but mostly in the Seeley-Swan. That leaves 90,000 acres in Phase III, to be purchased next year with private funds.

Critics, however, remain skeptical, and even worried.

Worried that TNC and TPL might be forced to become real estate brokers if the money pinches too tightly. Worried this deal, should it fail, risks too much and might torpedo future conservation purchases. Worried a taxpayer bailout could be needed if the groups can't re-sell the parcels.

“We took a risk in Montana,” Love admitted, “but this was the one shot. This was the right time, with the right ingredients. We had to try.”

As to that fear of snookering, appraisal documents show the $250 million in taxpayer money bought generally premium land at about $2,250 per acre, well below the market value of local real estate.

Of course, it's still far more than the acres were worth from a timber perspective, but as Williams says, “this wasn't timberland anymore.”

“This was never a timber investment,” Love said, “It's a conservation investment.” It connects wildlife corridors, he said, and insulates taxpayers from development costs and maintains access and provides timber jobs, too.

“It's a complicated deal,” Love said, “but I'm a true believer. This was our last chance, so we took it.”

Reporter Michael Jamison can be reached at 1-800-366-7186 or at [email protected].

BHR,

Is that you don't like the public owning land or don't like public access? What problems do you have with outfits like TNC or TPl?

Show me where the welfare is in this proposal?

SD you understand what is actually being purchased and why the appraisal and sell price may differ?

If you had $250 million and could gain control of the acreage discussed would you throw that money into a pool with another investor willing to pony up $250 million? Would that be a good deal for you?

Nemont

BHR,

Is that you don't like the public owning land or don't like public access? What problems do you have with outfits like TNC or TPl?

So you understand what is actually being purchased and why the appraisal and sell price may differ?

If you had $250 million and could gain control of the acreage discussed would you throw that money into a pool with another investor willing to pony up $250 million? Would that be a good deal for you?

Nemont

Nemont,

See my comments in other thread.

I don't think HB 14 made the transmittal date did it? It appears the last action was taken on 1/26/09 and it doesn't show that it has been transmitted to the Senate. It has not passed out of committee therefore hasn't even been through a first reading on the house floor.

So I don't think of it.

Can you answer my questions?

Nemont

BHR,

SD you understand what is actually being purchased and why the appraisal and sell price may differ?

Nemont

1a: No problem with the public owning land
1b: I allow public access through land I own(other than ATV's, snowmobiles from 12/1 to 3/31 ok) It's not posted, anyone can hunt, hike or horseback ride there.....does that answer your question?
1c: Trust but verify is my POV when it comes to TNC.

2: It was part of the farm bill.........was there welfare in the farm bill.......guess that all depends on your POV.

3: Yes. It appears that the land that the state is looking at purchasing through HB 14 is valued at a much lower dollar/acre amount. Something like 21 million for 26,000 acres. I'm familiar with those acres and that is a reasonable price to pay for that land IMO.

4: Most likely not. If I had 250 million, and a similar partner, I believe there are a number of better investments to be had than this right now.

Nemont,

I answered your questions. Certainly you can make a few general comments on HB 14.

From the article, it sure seems like the NC is getting a little nervous that they are not going to find enough buyers (public and private) for the lands they bought. Does anyone lurking agree that this would be a great opportunity for Sportsmen's Groups to step up and get involved?

BHR,

I think if you looked you would find that HB 14 is dead in committee. I don't want to spend much time considering legislation that has not hope of passing. If it ever did get out of committee it needs a 2/3 vote to pass, ain't gonna happen.

It appears to me that the TNC is far from panicking. They hold something like $4.5 Billion in assets, have annual income approaching $700 million and they don't own just any old assets that are being reduced in value by the current market. If any organization has not only the cash flow but the financial sophistication to complete these deal it would be TNC. While they may hope for investment from the state I am not certain they are counting on such investments.

Even in this tough economy the list of available donors just from TNC list is staggering. I am quite certain they have enough wealthy benefactors to either seek money from the credit market or go on an ambitious fund raising drive to complete this sale.

I don't think there is a single sportsman group with the money and power to get this sale completed.

Nemont

Nemont

I'm taking your sidestepping comment on HB14 as a no vote.....correct me if I'm wrong. Guess you don't want YOUR state dollars spent to purchase these particular land. Why? It's in Western Montana?

From the article......

"The money was loaned against TNC and TPL assets, and the groups now hope to re-sell the acres, possibly to the state, among others.

Phase II, which involved the federal money, closed last month - $250 million for 111,000 prime acres in the Lolo and Blackfoot valleys, but mostly in the Seeley-Swan. That leaves 90,000 acres in Phase III, to be purchased next year with private funds."

Pretty clear Nemont, that TNC was banking on the state buying the land in HB14. Now that it is all but dead, they are having some concerns. Who is going to step in and help bail TNC out? A group of Sportsmen's Clubs could do a lot of good here. Why are you so opposed to this logical solution?

Nemont

I'm taking your sidestepping comment on HB14 as a no vote.....correct me if I'm wrong. Guess you don't want YOUR state dollars spent to purchase these particular land. Why? It's in Western Montana?

From the article......

"The money was loaned against TNC and TPL assets, and the groups now hope to re-sell the acres, possibly to the state, among others.

Phase II, which involved the federal money, closed last month - $250 million for 111,000 prime acres in the Lolo and Blackfoot valleys, but mostly in the Seeley-Swan. That leaves 90,000 acres in Phase III, to be purchased next year with private funds."

Pretty clear Nemont, that TNC was banking on the state buying the land in HB14. Now that it is all but dead, they are having some concerns. Who is going to step in and help bail TNC out? A group of Sportsmen's Clubs could do a lot of good here. Why are you so opposed to this logical solution?

BHR,

I don't think I am side stepping anything by saying HB 14 is a dead bill that wasn't passed out of comittee. I can't help it if you want to discuss dead solutions to funding access, I don't care to discuss such things because they are out in never, never land.

Do you spend alot of time considering bills that have no hope of passing as being solutions to funding access?

I have no problem with the state funding access, and unlike you I don't care if it is in Eastern or Western Montana.

TNC stated early on that they did not want to be the title holder to this property, they wanted that state of Montana to step up and put some skin in the game. If Montana doesn't do this do you think that TNC and TPL are not going to still be able to come up with the remaining money?

Read the article, they hope to resell these properties, "Possibly" to the state.

What "sportsmans club" has a spare $100 million laying around to complete phase III funded by private money?

I will take a bet with you, in fact a couple of bets. 1. TNC and TPL have the money to complete phase III, 2. The state of Montana misses out on a one time chance to guarantee public access to thousands of acres of lands.
3. HB 14 does not see the light of day and therefore is a nonsolution to any of this.

Why are you worried about anyone having to "bailout" TNC?

Nemont

I'm talking about the 21 million for 26,000 acres that the state is passing on Nemont. That's $807 per acre. I also said Sportsmen's Groups.......not Group. And who knows, TNC might be willing to negotiate on that price, in order to find a buyer. Why are you so negative to that solution?

BHR,
Where did you get where I am negative on anything?

HB 14 is sitting on the desk of the House Committee and it did not make transmittal. It is too late for this bill to do anything unless they can magically bring it back to life in the last weeks of this session.

What sportsmans groups are going to step up?

Nemont

"What sportsmans groups are going to step up?"

Several.....get involved and find out.

Did you go to Helena and testify in support of HB 14? I am involved in alot of stuff over here.

Saturday is our local DU banquet, which I am treasurer for, why not come over and put some money in our coffers. We have LOTS of projects proposed for wetlands over here in Valley and Phillips County.

Name the several that are going to step up so I can "get invovled".

Nemont

Already commited to a fund raiser this coming weekend Nemont. One of the groups that is involved. It's good sheep, elk, and deer habitat. Orgs. that promote those species are involved for starters.

Where's Buzz on this one? He was saying this block of 26,000 acres was worth every penny at $1,800/acre. Certainly it's a bargain for the public to pick up at $800/acre.

BHR,

Do you ever read what I post? $800/acre is fine if that is a bargain, the elected representatives of this state didn't see it as a good enough bargain to pass HB 14, the state doesn't have any skin in the game. If groups like FNAWS or RMEF have the bucks and are willing to spend them then I say go for it. All I am telling you is that to bet that the TNC can't fund the project is a suckers bet. They will find the funds and then may the sportsman's groups buy the land from them or how ever it will work.

Do you consider the $250 Million of government money Baucus got to be welfare? Was it money well spent?

Nemont

"Do you consider the $250 of government money Baucus got to be welfare? Was it money well spent?"

Already answered that Nemont, not going to repeat myself.

TNC already bought the lands in question. They are looking for a buyer. I'm sure they would prefer the state (which now looks unlikely) or at least a group of Sportsmen's orgs (that will donate it to the state) be the buyer (of at least some of it). If no one steps up it will go into private hands. What easements will be placed on it and who will buy those properties is unknown. Is that too hard to comprehend?

Did you go support HB 14 when they had the hearing on it in January?

TNC and TPL were on the hook for the other half, although they hoped - and still hope - for some investment by the state.

A round of 60 or so public meetings helped to settle which lands to buy with which pot, and the first phase - 111,000 acres purchased with $150 million in private funds - closed in December 2008. The money was loaned against TNC and TPL assets, and the groups now hope to re-sell the acres, possibly to the state, among others.

Phase II, which involved the federal money, closed last month - $250 million for 111,000 prime acres in the Lolo and Blackfoot valleys, but mostly in the Seeley-Swan. That leaves 90,000 acres in Phase III, to be purchased next year with private funds.

Critics, however, remain skeptical, and even worried.

Worried that TNC and TPL might be forced to become real estate brokers if the money pinches too tightly. Worried this deal, should it fail, risks too much and might torpedo future conservation purchases. Worried a taxpayer bailout could be needed if the groups can't re-sell the parcels.

“We took a risk in Montana,” Love admitted, “but this was the one shot. This was the right time, with the right ingredients. We had to try.”

As to that fear of snookering, appraisal documents show the $250 million in taxpayer money bought generally premium land at about $2,250 per acre, well below the market value of local real estate.

They are still in the buying mode with phase III to be completed next year. TNC and TPL helped put together a deal where they helped leverage the Federal dollars to purchase large chunks of land at below market costs. Now you are worried they can't find a buyer or need more tax money? Why are you worried? TNC has alone has more the enough cash flow and assets to borrow far more money or to pay their share. The problem isn't TNC and TPL the problem is that the State of Montana doesn't want to pony up any money. To blame the organizations who put this together is stupid. But stupid is as stupid does.

Nemont

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back