Caribou Gear

Annual Texas hog hunt

wytex

We're getting our hunting stuff ready for our annual hog hunt down in Texas. We've been going down almost every year now for quite a few years to hunt hogs on the spouse's family place, took the first hog off it about 30 years ago.
Many times we've taken friends with us, this year a good friend, and business owner in Laramie, and his father in law.
Hoping the pigs get a little more active out in the fields, but we're ready for hitting the hills and breaks.
We'll use a thermal for spotting and led lights for shooting at night.
Hitting the road next Saturday if weather permits. A day's drive for us and the friends are flying down.
Some views from the front porch. Hoping conditions are right for a little controlled burning while we are down.

The property is right on the Red River in North Texas.IMG_0799 (1200x800).jpg

IMG_0787 (1080x720).jpgIMG_0786 (1080x720).jpg

I thought you could only hunt red river hogs in Africa😉 Sounds like a great time and a pretty place to be.

I get to hunt on a bud's place occasionally on the Red north of Vernon near Doan's Crossing....natural springs, bluffs, bruschy terraces stepping down to the river, wheat fields up top...lots of smart feral pigs and a few dumb ones. Always a good time when I get to be in the mix with he and his boys.

It's been a rough year for their paying hunters, lots of acorns and pecans. We'll be hitting the breaks and hoping the rain forecast doesn't turn into a frog strangler. We have about 3,000 acres to find them in. Luckily the neighbors are pretty welcoming to us as well.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back