Caribou Gear Tarp

Annual AK trip

@BuzzH no coho yet? Seems like they should have been showing up by now.

Another great looking trip. Heck just the change in weather looks worth it. I could use to need a sweatshirt...

From your photos it looks like the ocean cooperated every day. Flat oceans and full fish boxes, does it get any better! Congrats!

Showed the wife the pictures. I think she’s even more excited to go next year than I am

I live up here and don't get that much good fishing in - I am in the interior though. Great trip, need to go down and get some Halibut and Rock Fish. Love Rockfish.

@BuzzH, where do you fish out of? Looks like it might be in the Juneau area? Doesn't quite look like Seward or Valdez?

Either way, looks wicked fun. Never had that great of luck deep sea fishing, so now I just stick to the rivers.

Really cool !
If you don't mind sharing, how did you get all that fish back home and approx. what was the cost of such?
The boxes in the back of the suv are cardboard with a Styrofoam insert inside and are sold for $15 in a lot of stores near the coast. Pack them with frozen fish and bring them on the plane, cost to bring them back is whatever the airline charges for a checked bag. Shipping a box to your house was $250 when I was there a few weeks ago

Last edited:
Heading north on the 21st for my own AK fishing trip, DIY in a rental skiff in Yakutat. Silver salmon have already showed up.
I agree that frozen fish should be checked baggage. I have brought it back from nearly three dozen trips each to Alaska and Mexico, without dry ice, and it arrives totally frozen or nearly so. The waxed cardboard boxes without the styrofoam liners do not keep the fish frozen as well, but the fish is still frozen or just starting to thaw even after overnight in a hotel or airport on the way back. From where I fish in Mexico it is a straight shot, we use 48 quart coolers, and the fish is still frozen when we get home.
I can fish for 6 days in Mexico, with 3 guys in a super panga, for less than $2000 each, including room and board, the plane ticket and tips, and our 2 guy, DIY trip to Yakutat fishing out of a skiff but doing our own cooking for 7 days will cost less than $3000 each including excess baggage fees, processing of fish, and the plane ticket(with an AK Air Visa card and companion fare). Less days fishing lowers the cost. You can also fish salmon on your own and charter for bottom fish. All you've got to do is get online and check prices.

All you guys saying you need to do this someday, just go do it. Find a cheap ticket, stay 4 days, fish 1 day. Can be had for around $1500 bucks if you're frugal. If you love to fish, it's something you really need to do
You can do it for even less with an AK Airlines Credit card when you use your sign up bonus. We did a very similar trip as Buzz and the days we didn't charter a boat we fished from the beach ourselves and caught salmon until our arms were ready to fall off. My round trip airfare was under $200 including the 100 or so pounds of fish I brought back that was my share.

Buzz, if you ever have an opening on a fishing trip I sure do like stocking the freezer with the good stuff! ;)

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back