Ancestry

Stocker

Since yesterday was St. Patrick’s day and all you Irish drunks got your brawling out of the way, where do all of you come from? Any of you do the genealogy tests? I’d do it but I think it’s a scam for the .gov to get my DNA. Not that I’m thinking of committing crimes but you never know. 😂

1/4 of me is pure German. My great grandmother got off the boat with her husband and almost to their dying days never spoke much English. The other 1/4 on that side is Scottish that spent a century or so in Appalachia. On the other side I know 1/4 of me is Scotts that actually spent time in Germany in the early 1800’s, immigrated to the US, fought in the Civil War on the Union side when they first settled in Illinois, then decided to move west to the Nebraskastani wasteland to farm. Why you would leave black dirt to farm clay and fight Indians I have no idea. My other 1/4 I don’t know much about.

The Scottish and German thing makes a lot of sense. Drinking, not being understood, and causing trouble come pretty natural to me.

Also it’s pretty funny how areas were settled by the sane nationality. SE Nebraska is predominantly German. SC Nebraska has some English. NW Iowa is almost all Dutch, NE Nebraska is a mix of English, Dutch, and Czech’s. Every town may vary though.

My paternal grandpa was 100% Irish both his parent's were born in Ireland. My paternal grandma was half Irish half Norwegian making my dad 75%Irish and 25% Norwegian. My mom's sides a little more complicated to track mostly Scottish with the Surname McCorkill and Clark. Came over in the late 1700 to Georgia eventually worked there way to Missouri. Left Missouri for Arkansas after the Civil War (at least one McCorkill was a Missouri bush whacker present at the Lawrence raid) for healthier climates. Some Dutch and German mixed in according to my genealogy test probably on my mom's side during their wondering.

My dad’s side is French Canadian, as in Great great grandfather snuck away to Minnesota after the Métis uprising went sideways. Grandmother on that side came from Odessa/German Jews that fled persecution from the Czar.

Mom’s side is much more clear cut, Grandma’s parent immigrated from Scotland in 1900 to join other family members in Campbell, MN. Grandpa grew up in a German enclave in north east South Dakota. He didn’t speak a word of English until high school, and I have his confirmation Bible, all in German.

My name is French, I know that much. My sister sent her DNA in to be tested awhile back and assuming I am of the same heritage as her. We are pretty much a hodge podge of western Europeans with a tiny bit of Arab blood mixed in somewhere along the line. So basically, I have no pedigree, I am just a plain white mut.

Side note: my family that fought in the civil war was a father, son duo. The latter coming to Nebraska. The former was wounded in combat in Arkansas and later died from it.

It came full circle. My wife’s grandfather was an avid collector of historical items, and after him and his wife’s passing I came across a badge in a box of stuff that was going to get thrown away that was 1st Nebraska Calvary Regiment. Which was in Arkansas about the same time my family member was wounded there. I don’t know if the badge was passed down on my wife’s side or just something he came across. But I have to conclude that somehow my family interacted with the Nebraska Calvary and maybe that’s how they ended up here, possibly guided by my wife’s family.

I don't remember all the details but I have had family members make books of all my ancestors. I have a book for both my mothers side and my fathers. My great grandmother on my mother's side also wrote a book on her life about getting married in Minnesota and moving to Nebraska where they bought a sheep ranch then onto southDakota where they had a cattle ranch which stayed in the family until just a few years ago. Very interesting having both sides of my family history documented.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back