Ancestry

If you don't mind my butting in, I have to correct a spelling.

I grew up in the area of Southeastern NC where the majority of the Lumbee indians are found. That is the correct spelling of their name which was given to them by Congress in 1957. Prior to that they were commonly called Croatan and the jury is still out on the Lost Colony connection but my research hints at some validity. A number of them are claiming to be Tuscarora but that is a stretch, because the only Tuscarora history in NC took place in the far eastern counties near New Bern.
Yeah I wasn't sure how to spell it so I guessed. As for the lost colony thing that's just what the TV told me

The Madison County (MT) historical society did a great job of documenting history where I grew up. There was a couple books put out (Trails and Trials 3-7-77 vol1 and vol 2) that pretty much documented homesteading to "current" times 1860-1980s when the books where published. Many families provide short stories of their histories best they could remember. This was a time of initial settlement of MT, and Madison Co was one of the first places settled in MT due to its location (15 miles away) to Virginia City and the gold mines there. Probably not fascinating for most, but knowing my history and snipits of history as people remember them is pretty awesome. Knowing many of the old families is pretty neat as well. Most are all long gone now, ranches are no more, but many of the places still remain. We have also done a fair amount of genealogy over the years tracing ancestry back. Most of my roots are either Scottish/Irish/English or Austrian/Pol. We had soldiers fight on both sides of the Civil War and the Great War. My parents still have part of a northern army uniform, the army issue pistol/holster was stolen by painters in the 60s. Another civil war vet was murdered by mercenaries in Missouri about 2 years after the war ended, and was "fed to the hogs"... The mercs were found and hung from tree next to the road and left to hang for a week.

My family (both maternal and paternal) moved to the Montana Territory in the late 1870-1880s. Settling in the Madison Valley, Red Lodge/Columbus, Bozeman and Norris areas of MT. My material GG grandfather ran the first boarding house in Bozeman (Air BnB before it was cool). They all eventually ended up in the Ennis area, owning homesteads/ranches from one of the Madison valley to the other. Many lost them in the depression, but we still have 3 in our immediate family. Approximately 1/3 of the land under Ennis Lake was part of the ranch my parents currently own. Lots of other neat history as well. I think the most fascinating is that my parents and aunt/uncle live in original or near original homestead houses, both were built around 1900 after they outgrew the log cabins. There are tools, and farming equipment lying around that were used by those pioneers. My parents house if filled with antique furniture (an entire house full) that still has the shipping labels on them to the Norris train station.

I have all of the UK/Irish lineage a person can claim with the exception of Welsh. And that man jumped ship in NY under quarantine for smallpox. Made his way to kin already in the States, sent correspondence back to Scotland to his wife. She was illiterate so someone had to read that to her and she came with the younger kids. Illegal immigrants today sure have it different. This was beginning of Reconstruction.

Other half gives me all the other being NW European/Irish. They were stumpjumpers in Western PA when Civil War came up so that was a change of scenery. 57th PA Infantry and my ancestor went 1861-discharged during Petersburg.

23&Me says 67% Irish Sea diaspora with a touch of Northern England. 30% NW Europe. A tad Greater Europe and 1% Ashkenazi Jewish!

Last edited:
Dad's Irish Moms Italian. Which is where my great grandparents came from respectively. But the DNA shows the ancestors were getting busy, all the way back to the Levant. I gotta say I was a bit disappointed to find out I was 2 percent French.
Screenshot_20230628_141541_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230628_141533_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230628_141528_Chrome.jpg

Since yesterday was St. Patrick’s day and all you Irish drunks got your brawling out of the way, where do all of you come from? Any of you do the genealogy tests? I’d do it but I think it’s a scam for the .gov to get my DNA. Not that I’m thinking of committing crimes but you never know. 😂

1/4 of me is pure German. My great grandmother got off the boat with her husband and almost to their dying days never spoke much English. The other 1/4 on that side is Scottish that spent a century or so in Appalachia. On the other side I know 1/4 of me is Scotts that actually spent time in Germany in the early 1800’s, immigrated to the US, fought in the Civil War on the Union side when they first settled in Illinois, then decided to move west to the Nebraskastani wasteland to farm. Why you would leave black dirt to farm clay and fight Indians I have no idea. My other 1/4 I don’t know much about.

The Scottish and German thing makes a lot of sense. Drinking, not being understood, and causing trouble come pretty natural to me.
I'm half Scottish and half Irish no I don't have red hair and I drank like a fish till I got out of college and had children. I've stopped drinking I work out 4 days a week and I'm 40, american born and obviously public enemy #1 in today's society. I'm straight married to a woman and I love guns, and my country.

Anyone else ever been selected for the full blown Helix DNA analysis that includes ancestry, health/cancer/cardio pre-dispositions, geographic adaptions, traits related to foods, alcohol, caffeine, hair/eye/skin traits, and a bunch of other genetic predispositions?

I was randomly selected as a patient at the Mayo Clinic to enroll in a study. They paid for everything. It's pages and pages of results. Now Mrs. Fin wants to pay to enroll. Lore of my parents and grandparents were confirmed in that study.

Good news was that I had no genetic health/cancer/cardio predispositions.

I am mostly Finn with most the rest being northwestern European (Swede/Norwegian). I didn't know that all caucasians are at least 7% southern European due to the direction of human migration from Africa. I also didn't know that every person shares at least .2% Indigenous American DNA due to migration from Europe, across the Bering land bridge. (I know, here come the Elizabeth Warren jokes). The DNA of my Indigenous line is most closely aligned with Indigenous South Americans.

I am "arctic adaptive." Seems reasonable being I come from northern latitudes. I'm likely screwed with this global warming gig.

I'm not adaptive to high altitude/low oxygen nor am I adaptive to the Inuit diet. Given my response to my first and only meals of Nuktuk and seal oil, I agree.

I am likely not lactose intolerant (correct) and not malarial adaptive (proven by the huge welts from being allergic to skeeter saliva).

Eye color. "Studies have found that people who have brown eyes tend to have inherited an “A” in their DNA sequence at a specific location (known to scientists as rs12913832). You haven’t inherited an “A” from either of your biological parents. This means that you’re likely to have less melanin, resulting in blue or greenish eyes." Yup, nailed that one.

Curly hair (if you saw the pic the crew posted on IG and FB last week, you know this was confirmed) - "Many studies have found that people who have straight hair tend to have inherited the letter “A” in a specific part of their DNA sequence (scientists know it as rs17646946). You’ve inherited a “G” from both of your biological parents, meaning your DNA may serve as a natural curling iron for you."

I likely have low metabolism to caffeine and do not need much (correct). Too much gives me the heeby-geebies. "To determine your result, we checked to see which version of the CYP1A2 gene you’ve inherited. Changes in the DNA sequence of this gene can affect how you process caffeine.Your DNA indicates that you are likely to metabolize caffeine at an average rate, meaning caffeine and its effects are likely to last longer in you than in some others."

I am likely to be a sound sleeper without snoring. Correct. I can sleep on command. "The specific genetic factor we analyze for this trait is called rs184039278 and it is very rare. People who have the TG or GG result may find it incredibly difficult to go to bed at a typical bedtime due to a shifted circadian rhythm. You may go to bed late for reasons other than genetics, but you don’t have the genetic factor that results in delayed sleep."

Not sure what this means - "To determine the balance of fiber types in your muscles we look at a specific genetic factor, or variant, called rs1815739 in the ACTN3 gene. With a mix of C and T, your muscles are more likely to be a mix of fast and slow twitch resulting in a potential for both endurance and power performance." I'll take their word for it.

There is one result on which I call BS; sweet tooth. "Studies have found that people who inherit an “A” in their DNA sequence at a specific location (known to scientists as rs5400) tend to eat slightly more sugar compared to others. You haven’t inherited an “A” from either of your biological parents. This means that you’re likely to eat slightly less sugar compared to others." I eat more candy and ice cream than my entire neighborhood. I think they mixed up my results for this test with someone else.

Lots more of these things were tested. The only one I disagree with was the sweet tooth findings. The many others seem to fit my profile.

Not sure if the other ancestry tests are this comprehensive. They've asked if they can use my results for their study, to which I agreed.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back