An important tool for your computer

• Thread starter RogueWarrior1957
  • Start date
R

RogueWarrior1957

Hello all,

After reformatting my computer a couple of weeks ago and being thrilled with it's performance with the addition of 1.024GB memory, it was starting to bog again. One of the programs that I had lost in the reformatting was Spybot Search and Destroy. This program removes all the spyware and adware that different websites put in your files when you visit certain websites like Kazaa, Morpheus (music downloads), and many others like Hotbar (claims to soup-up Outlook Express). Get enough of these "beacons" in your system, and it acts like someone poured molasses in the processor. One word of warning...many of the programs like Kazaa, Morpheus, Bonsi Buddy, and others will no longer function when you run this program and remove their garbage files. It doesn't attack any of your important Windows stuff. After I ran the program again with all the updates, this computer is flying through cyberspace again at warp speed. Best thing of all...it is free! It was created by a German computer guru who just wanted to clean up the Internet to facilitate communication...all restitution he asks is that you send a small donation to him IF you think the program is worthwhile. Fair enough I say.

I encountered this program through my subscription to PC World Magazine, which I've found to be a trustworthy source, or I wouldn't even recommend it. The link to download this program is on page: http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/browse/0,cat,1443,sortIdx,1,00.asp

After you download the program and open it for the first time, you will receive a window which lets you select language. Select the one marked English. Read the instruction booklet, then run the scan. You'll be amazed at all the web-debris that has accumulated in your PC in a short period of time.

Sincerely,

-Bill J. Everett-

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

Exactly right, Chambo. Some of them refuse to work if you remove the junk.

Another good one available from the same link listed above is AdAware. I found one which struck my fancy for bouncing spam back to the sender called Bounce Spam Mail 1.2. Sends a phony email back to the sender making it appear as if your email address is defunct. Has a very small footprint on your hard-drive as well.

That's because Gozilla is SPYWARE! Find something else to use and get over it. Hello!?!

That's like killing the enemy with a bomb, then saying to beware of bombs cause they're deadly!

[ 02-08-2004, 17:18: Message edited by: Chambo ]
I get the point. But don't shoot the messenger if the news wasn't to your liking. I only convey the facts and you can't delete 'my' memory. Try AdAware and most likely the results will be the same.

There's plenty of browsers out there other than malicious (or phone-home) ones... I copped an attitude in defense of a product I trust and meant no harm to you. Sorry. I was out of line.

This is the real Gozilla, and he can wreck anything. ;)

g54train.gif

Elkhunter... I agree, We shouldn't let that guy next to Our Computer.. HELL, Just look what he's doing to that CITY !!!!
elkgrin.gif
elkgrin.gif

I've had that for awhile now Rogue! You should have an ADWARE program too! Nice not seeing banners and other ads keep popping up!

I took your advice Bill, and used the spybot program! My puter now runs like it was new again! Thanks!
Too bad they don't have programs for humans like this one....well, I guess they do!!

I found this on the description of the program:
Spybot also removes your usage tracks (last visited Web sites, opened files, started programs, and cookies), so even spybots that are unknown can't transmit this private information.
Does that mean that these usage tracks are no longer stored on your computer? I access many of these often, and like the fact that I can see what topics on the forum have new posts when I return.

Oak

Colorado,

I think you have to select that function Before it will remove the cookies or last visited web-sites. I've never selected that function, because like you, I sometimes use those, and I hate having to type in the passwords and etc. over and over again. Once a week, I usually go through my Temporary Internet folder and delete the garbage from sites that I was directed to through email. I remember that the ones I keep are the ones dealing with my Internet Security, and the ones from the B/B's and IM services. Most everything else gets 86'ed.

The program also has a restore feature in case you accidentally remove something that you find out you need later.

I run Search and Destroy once a week and also Adaware once a week. I have never had a problem with having to sign back on or seeing what is new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back