Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

An Elk Story

ida homer

Long winded, if you have some time to kill.

In 2016, me and my main hunting buddy drew a late September rifle tag in WY for bulls. It’s actually somewhat easy to draw. There’s nothing like chasing bulls with a rifle during the rut. After the rut I’m about convinced that bulls 4 years and older simply vanish off the face of the planet. It takes someone more skilled and seasoned than me to find the bachelor groups post rut, that’s for sure. So we were definitely excited for the draw results.

My buddy was still stationed in Texas at the time so scouting was my duty. I was able to make 2 trips to the unit to glass in July and August. Another buddy previously had the tag so that short cut us the lay of the land and which roads were accessible, etc. I knew that if I could find the areas with good numbers of cows, that should attract multiple bulls come September.

There was a neat basin up around 10,500’ that I had been eyeing on Google Earth for months, so that would be my first trip in July. It would be a real mf’er to get up to it and likely much more effort than necessary, but it seemed like the kind of place that you might find a big bull and not lot eyes on a single other boot track. Distance and topography barriers. My brother was able to join. Unfortunately it was during one of the hotter weeks of the summer, when it’s 104F in town and 88 up on the mountain kind of hot. I hate scouting when it’s that hot, as you should consider yourself lucky to spot a single animal during daylight. Plus it’s a long damn wait from sunrise to sunset, that’s for sure. Often times in those conditions the wait is all for nothing since they don’t even come out to feed until it's too dark to glass. At least that's what I've found.

We started the hike at 5am. It was a 3100’ gradual long climb from the truck in the heat. We carried a lot of water up the hill since we didn't know the water situation up there yet. We should have started hiking at 3am, as by lunch time it was in the high 80's at 9500'. I don’t remember making it to where we wanted to glass from until around 3pm. We setup our pup tents and glassed until dark. No critters spotted that evening.

Capture.PNG

The next morning I only spotted one cow and a calf. We found some really old sign and a couple good reliable water sources. I knew that it would have to be very promising to consider packing an elk out of this area, since warm weather is still a good possibility in September. We didn't find any old rubs or any bull tracks.

Capture1.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture2.PNG

It’s too bad because it was truly trophy country, and it looked even better in person than it did on GE. Grassy meadows, a couple peaks above over 11k, good flowing water, distance, topography, no wolf sign, etc. But so it goes, there’s a lot more country where they ain’t, than where they is, as Randy likes to say. Not tough enough to sit out another 8 hour day in the heat up high. So we bailed for lower country. Down low I glassed up a couple groups of about 15 cows a piece which was good, but the access almost seemed too easy since they were easily visible from an old skid road. That wrapped up the first scouting trip.

Unfortunately it might be a couple days between posts, absolutely buried at work (super thankful and counting my blessings that I even have work to go to when so many don’t). You guys are making me feel guilty stringing you along on a Sunday afternoon, so here’s a little more.

I was able to get lots of shooting done that summer with my 7mm, the worlds most powerful cartridge. 160 grain accubonds were shooting good, about 1.5” high at 100 is usually what I’m shooting for. Later that summer I would start having major issues with the rifle and this gun would go completely off the rails, lending to a complete lack of confidence and forcing me to use my buddies gun for the hunt. This Savage 114 shot lights out for 6 years, tagging 15-20 animals between me and my brother, most of them clean one shot kills. Since I’ve had nothing but issues with it for the last 2 years and I'm still trying to figure out what the problem is (I since added a CA Ridgeline last season that I’ve been happy with so far).

Capture.PNG

On to scouting trip #2 in August. I made it over there by Friday afternoon. This was a solo trip. I slept in the back of my truck, covered country and glassed a lot. This is an interesting unit with some very rugged country mixed with some more gentle rolling country down lower. It has a lot of terrain diversity which was awesome. Rolling sage, high rocky alpine, mahoganies, aspens, meadows, river bottoms, the works. So far I’ve been having much better luck finding critters within short day hikes of the roads and trails in the gentler country. I’m certainly not gonna complain about that since we don't have horses. Which is obviously a testament to the historic limited number of tags. Elk are rarely glass-able from a road in the OTC units around Southern Idaho in my experience, so this was a nice change of pace. Thanks Wyoming.

Capture1.PNG

If you've never hunted elk yet out west, you'll be intrigued by alpine meadows like this. You'll day dream about 350 bulls standing in the middle of these meadows. While they are as scenic as all get out, I very rarely find elk in them in over the counter units. I don't know if it's a post wolf thing or what, but the old time artists were full of s***! I typically find them on the edges or in the thick timber next to meadows like this. But once in a while in draw units they can't resist that flowing water and all that green grass.

The weather was much better this go around, with lows around 40 and highs in the high 60’s, can’t ask for much better in August. I glassed 4-5 different good sized herds of cows in 2 days, all without having to break my back. Only 1 bachelor group of 5 point bulls spotted, but I wasn’t too concerned knowing I had found strong numbers of cows. The bulls would show up. Sorry for the grainy pics, no phone skope and only had a cheap $400 spotter at the time.

Capture2.PNG

Elk bedded in a meadow, a rarity.

Capture3.PNG

This trip felt more promising and I learned a lot. I drove back to Idaho Sunday. That wrapped up scouting trip #2. The next time I'd get to set foot in the unit would be 2 days before the season opener to attempt to tie one to a tree. Might be a couple days for the next post.

I got there the afternoon 2 days before the opener. I would have 2 evenings and 1 morning to scout.

I setup a big car camping tent to claim a camp spot before hustling to try and beat dark so I could glass that evening.
The first hillside I threw my binos on there were about 20 cows and 3 bulls in the bunch. 2 younger bulls and a 6 point.
As you would hope during this time frame, the rut seemed to be going strong with multiple bulls bugling.
Which is always fun to watch. Even better is that this pack out would be a cakewalk, if we could get him to read
the script and stay there for 2 more days.

Sorry in advance for the awful photos, I was throttle jockeying the iphone without a phoneskope through a cheap spotter.

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Hopefully he stays put.

I kept glassing with the 15's. I looked way across the valley and found a different group of about 20 cows feeding on the edge of some timber.
This guy comes walking over the ridge about 100 yards behind, fired up. This bull was a no brainer and would exceed expectations by a mile,
as we weren't being picky to begin with.

Capture4.PNG

Capture5.PNG

I found some other small groups of cows way off in the distance but that wrapped up scouting evening #1. Clearly the bulls
had dropped out of the high country and come down to tend these cow groups, at about the same mid-elevation where I had found
good numbers in the summer.

Tomorrow would be the day before the opener, so I expected to see some more camps roll in.

Attachments

• Capture5.PNG
    Capture5.PNG
    350.7 KB · Views: 3
Man, I love good hunting stories. Keep it going!

The next morning I glassed from the same knob and the small 6 point with the 20 cows was still there.

I immediately hiked over to the other knob to see if I could get eyes on that big bull again that was across the valley, but no sign of him
or his herd. Bummer, but at least the other bull had not moved. I hiked the half mile back to the pickup and drove around to the
other side of the unit to glass some new areas.

Right away I spotted this bull with a good size group of 30-40 cows. There were 5 or 6 more
bulls mixed in with the group, but all 5x5's or smaller. I liked this wide 6 point, he was kinda boxy like a muley buck.

Capture1.PNG

Capture.PNG

That evening I went to check for the big bull again, but still no sign of him. The number of camps that rolled in was substantially
more than I expected. Some guys had packed in and setup 2 backpack tents within 50 yards of where the big bull had walked
over that hill in my photo of him. There's no way they would have done so had they known he was there. We would make a play
on the wide bull the next morning, which would be opening day.

My buddy was flying in from Texas, renting a car and making the 5 hour drive to meet me at camp after dark. He had never set foot in the unit,
so hopefully my coordinates and directions would suffice. When I got back to camp at 9pm he was there, an hour early. Hunting buddies are
just downright reliable. You try to get a beer with a non hunting buddy, they flake twice and if they do show they're 20 minutes late, in town
with phone service.

I told him we needed to get up at 2am to start the climb at 3am. It would be 1500' which is typical for this country, but due to the open
terrain we had to come from directly below the elk in the pitch dark. I knew we needed to be in position by very first light because the
thermals would start warming sometime around sunrise. We wouldn't be able to move around much on this wide open hillside without
getting busted.

It was a brutally early alarm, but we made it happen and the plan worked almost perfectly. The elk were feeding out in the open
500 yards above as it was barely light enough to see. I had the wide 6x6 in my scope at 400 yards but he was walking straight away and crested
the hill up and over into the timber on the other side. We both looked to the right and there was this 6x6 harassing 20 cows. My buddy made
the short stalk across the hillside, with some dips in-between us and the elk.

Capture2.PNG

It was 410 yards from my buddy to those elk just behind him. Of course from my angle it looked like 50 yards, but he said they
had no clue. He made a good stalk and made quick work of the bedded 6x6, just outside the right side of the frame.

I wish I could show some wide angles of the beautiful country, but these days yah just can't, out of respect to the residents
that can get a tag more routinely.

Capture3.PNG

Me with his 9am opening day bull.

Capture4.PNG

Capture5.PNG

Wet snow and sleet started to come down pretty heavily as we took the first load out. We had the head and horns, 1 front shoulder and 1 hind quarter
back to camp by early afternoon. We were absolutely beat so we took the evening off and hung around camp. We would still have 4 more days to
try and fill my tag.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back