Ammo

Recon_Doc

I will be hunting bulls during our late season rifle hunt here in AZ. I recently bought a new Model 70, extreme weather stainless steel. Absolutely love the rifle and the way it feels when I shoulder it. These new M70's are just as good if not better than the pre 64 ones.
The rifle is chambered in 30.06, and I'm thinking I'm going to use Nosler 165 gr Accubonds. I typically shoot Barnes TSX, but want to try the Nosler's for this hunt. Anyone have and experience in using these in a 30.06?
Thanks
Recon Doc

I could not find a load that gave me good accuracy with the AQ bonds in my 30 ought 6. shoot great in my 270 WSM. also shoot great in my 308.

I have not used to '06 on anything, but the 165 AB will not fail to fill your freezer. It should shoot real well, too. I use a 7 mag for everything and shoot 160 Partitions, so I am partial to Nosler premiums in any caliber.

I have not used to '06 on anything, but the 165 AB will not fail to fill your freezer. It should shoot real well, too. I use a 7 mag for everything and shoot 160 Partitions, so I am partial to Nosler premiums in any caliber.

That's what I'm thinking. I don't think a 180gr is necessary. 165 should be adequate

The 165 will do just fine. My kids killed a few cow elk with a .308 with 165 Hornady Interlocks and they did just fine. The AB at a bit better velocity than the .308 will be a great load for elk. Another 15 grains of weight would not make much difference in the big picture.

That's what I'm thinking. I don't think a 180gr is necessary. 165 should be adequate

As soft as the Accubond is, I would actually tend to lean more towards the higher grain for caliber. I'd try both and use whichever shot better, but probably lean towards the 180 if they shot the same. They're both more than adequate for elk though so you're fine either way.

Just answer yourself 2 questions? Does it shoot well in that rifle? Do you shoot that rifle well? No to either one is a NO. Yes, and then go get 'em !!

The 165 will do just fine. My kids killed a few cow elk with a .308 with 165 Hornady Interlocks and they did just fine. The AB at a bit better velocity than the .308 will be a great load for elk. Another 15 grains of weight would not make much difference in the big picture.

I normally shoot a .308 with 165 Barnes TSX

I had been shooting those Fed. 165's w/Barnes,but no more.Not available.
Have been shooting the Nosler Trophy w/165 AB the last 2 yrs.
The 165's have just shot better in my 700 -06,same with the Barnes.

Very accurate and deadly round,IMHO
More than adequit on the elk.
Quality ammo.

I'll be trying the Barnes ammo too if I can find it ever.............I'm always buying any -06 ammo these days on sale...................even corelocks are deadly in my 700.

Wish I had taken up reloading when it was doable.

I load 165 Partitions in the several 30-06 rifle we have. We have killed lots of elk with this bullet/cartridge combo. I would not hesitate to use it for anything. Good luck on your hunt.

All the 165 Barnes bullets in ammo I've shot has blown a 3/4" hole thru anything...... besides a giant boar.
Factory loads.
Goes in 30 cal,comes out 3/4-1". Dead animal. Minimal meat damage! No framenting.

Sounds like maybe you could be underloading them , as oppossed to overloading.

The Accubonds work almost as well.....IMHO

Might also take a look at the 165 trophy bonded tipped in federal's premium line. Great elk bullet. (of course depending on how it shoots in your rife).

Doc, I don't know what unit you are hunting, but if you decide to take a long shot (350yds+) you will be better served by the 180 or the 200 then you will by the 165....and I know a lot of places in Arizona where 400 yards shots are not uncommon.

Not an accubond or 165, but I have shot the Federal Premium 180 Trophy Copper (Nosler E-Tip) in both of my 30-06s (M70 FWTs) with great results. Out of the 22" barrel they are between 2,700-2,715fps, which will be at 1,900fps @ 500 yards.

If you find them, I'd give them a whirl.

My first bullet for elk in my 30-06 would be a Nosler Partition ,my second choice would be a Hornady Inter Lok ,both in 180 grain.
That's if I was shooting a 30-06 for elk but I don't.

As soft as the Accubond is, I would actually tend to lean more towards the higher grain for caliber. I'd try both and use whichever shot better, but probably lean towards the 180 if they shot the same. They're both more than adequate for elk though so you're fine either way.

So if the heavier for caliber Accubond is advised for Elk?
It sounds like it may be a great bullet for Whitetails in 150 / 165 grains?
2015 will be 1st hunt with my 06' A-Bolt Stalker and 1st ever hunt with a center fire.
Hunt will be East Texas in November and I would suspect < 180 lb deer.
Are the Accubond about equal to Core Lokt in type of construction?

Thank you all in advance,

10Dogs

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back