Ammo

Are the Accubond about equal to Core Lokt in type of construction?

Thank you all in advance,

10Dogs

No, the accubonds have thicker walls. There's a reason for the price disparity.

300_win_mag_ballistics_F.jpg

im a partition fan for the simply reason that its designed to shred 30% of its weight and leave the base to penetrate
the shredded lead acts like shrapnel cutting blood vessels and arteries for max impact

Doc, I don't know what unit you are hunting, but if you decide to take a long shot (350yds+) you will be better served by the 180 or the 200 then you will by the 165....and I know a lot of places in Arizona where 400 yards shots are not uncommon.

I'll be in 22 North right around Thanksgiving. I won't shoot anything past 350 yds tops. I was also thinking about Berger VLD's

I'll be in 22 North right around Thanksgiving. I won't shoot anything past 350 yds tops. I was also thinking about Berger VLD's

I know a lot of people like the Berger bullets for some reason, but acording to their website they are designed to penetrate 3-4 inches and then fragment.
I would think you would want complete penetration for something as large and tough as a bull elk.
Isn't that the reason the bonded bullets were designed to hold together and retain as much weight as possible?

Bergers are great range bullets,very accurate...........but useless hunting. IMHO

I would suspect if you went to the long range hunting site and asked about berger bullets on elk you might get a different response. I'm picking up a 300 win mag this fall and the 215 VLD is the first bullet that I am going to try. If I find the sweet spot with them I will be using them this fall.

I know a lot of people like the Berger bullets for some reason, but acording to their website they are designed to penetrate 3-4 inches and then fragment.
I would think you would want complete penetration for something as large and tough as a bull elk.
Isn't that the reason the bonded bullets were designed to hold together and retain as much weight as possible?

Yea I don't know if that's accurate on their part. I've seen them go right through several bulls almost intact. I've also seen a good size cow absolutely DROPPED where it stood at 1100 yds from a .308.

Interesting side note, my 06 A bolt sighted in at 200 yds with 180 corelocs is dead on at 400 yards with 165 nosler trophys and 150 corelocs no holdover

Interesting side note, my 06 A bolt sighted in at 200 yds with 180 corelocs is dead on at 400 yards with 165 nosler trophys and 150 corelocs no holdover

Funny every 30.06 I've owned (4 of them) absolutely LOVE core-lokts. It's like theyre built for an .06

Rare to see beyond a hundred here in New England,so never shot distance. Headed to New Zealand next week, so figured I brush up at range. I put three 180 core locs in 6" bull at 200. Then shot 400 with some 165 hornady trophies at a 5 gal pail. Discovered no holdover, aim dead on. This has since been repeated several times. This kind blew my mind with what to do, but after talking with people more knowledgable then me decided to leave scope as is and just switch load if longer shot needed. I also shot 150 corelocs at same distance with similar results, and two foot holdover at 600 yards was awful close. Cheaper 4x9 scope used.

That's interesting. No matter how I run the numbers, it doesn't work. mtmuley

^ This

According to Remington's own stats, the core lokt 180's at a 200 yard zero, drop 6 ft by 500 yards..I am guessing another foot and a half by 600

Guys
I'm sighted in with 180's at 200. 150 and 165 bullets are on at 400. This tells me the point of impact is quite different. Shooting the lighter round at 200 yards I'm about two feet lower. Still seems odd, but I've repeated this over ten times and burnt about 150 rounds Make sense?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back