MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Ammo shortage causing hunting problem?

Redman

Went turkey hunting this morning but unlike previous years I usually check the pattern of my gun and practice a bit before season rolls around. I also use my bow if I know the area has a good population of birds where I would have multiple encounters. Well I could not find turkey loads any where and this area was slim pickings on birds. I had two birds working this morning but they would not commit. I decided to go to them. I got as close as I could and gave a couple soft yelps and brought one in at about 45 yds. Try as a may he wouldn't come closer and he was getting edgey. 45 yds has not been an issue before but I always made sure the gun was in check. Well let him have it he rolled and stood up. I automatically pump in another round but it failed to eject and my gun jammed. I take off running after the bird to keep an eye on where he was heading. With the jammed gun and me pulling off the face mask to see better I lost sight of the bird. Didn't hear him fly no clue as to where he ran. Anyway things happen but had fresh ammo and practice time in I would have taken it a bit better. That feeling of doubt sinks in because I was unable to do my normal routine.

oRmoe8J.jpg

A lot of people hoarding and preparing for the upcoming season. Walked into my local shop and there were people buying their limits of ammo. I wasn't there to buy ammo, but saw two boxes of barnes vor-tx on the shelf and bought them. I don't want to be SOL looking for lead free ammo in a few months.

If people are waiting till right before season they are going to be in trouble. I started my search during hunting season last year. Check the local sporting goods stores regularly and have notifications set on websites that allow and backordered a bunch of ammo at old costs last November (still waiting on that order...) I have found enough of the hunting ammo I use and a little extra of a second type to get me through range time this summer and hunting this fall.

Hoping that some Nosler bullets come into market in the relatively near future. It is getting tougher, the closer we get to hunting season. I was hoping for a glut, but that has not presented itself yet.

Since I load my own everything, I am OK for deer and elk, and all of the practice pistol, rifle, and shotgun shooting (like 150 rounds of pistol, rifle, and shotgun shooting per week) for several years.

However, I'm booked for an Alaskan Brown bear and moose hunt in September and I want to use my .375 RUM with 270 grain Barnes TSX bullets. I only have 40 lo these rounds loaded, which is the number that I would like to take to Alaska, but I just put a new scope on that rifle, and have not sighted it in and verified the different range impacts for that load. I would like at least one box of 50 of those bullets to practice with, but cannot find them anywhere.

For Plan B, I do have enough 300 grain TSX bullets if I needed to use them.

And for Plan C, I have 100 Sierra 250 grain bullets coming that would be great for practice, and that I could use in a pinch.

I'm hoping that in the 4 months before my hunt, I'll be able to find the bullets that I need.

Since I load my own everything, I am OK for deer and elk, and all of the practice pistol, rifle, and shotgun shooting (like 150 rounds of pistol, rifle, and shotgun shooting per week) for several years.

However, I'm booked for an Alaskan Brown bear and moose hunt in September and I want to use my .375 RUM with 270 grain Barnes TSX bullets. I only have 40 lo these rounds loaded, which is the number that I would like to take to Alaska, but I just put a new scope on that rifle, and have not sighted it in and verified the different range impacts for that load. I would like at least one box of 50 of those bullets to practice with, but cannot find them anywhere.

For Plan B, I do have enough 300 grain TSX bullets if I needed to use them.

And for Plan C, I have 100 Sierra 250 grain bullets coming that would be great for practice, and that I could use in a pinch.

I'm hoping that in the 4 months before my hunt, I'll be able to find the bullets that I need.
Could try some hammer bullets too. They ship out fast

Went turkey hunting this morning but unlike previous years I usually check the pattern of my gun and practice a bit before season rolls around. I also use my bow if I know the area has a good population of birds where I would have multiple encounters. Well I could not find turkey loads any where and this area was slim pickings on birds. I had two birds working this morning but they would not commit. I decided to go to them. I got as close as I could and gave a couple soft yelps and brought one in at about 45 yds. Try as a may he wouldn't come closer and he was getting edgey. 45 yds has not been an issue before but I always made sure the gun was in check. Well let him have it he rolled and stood up. I automatically pump in another round but it failed to eject and my gun jammed. I take off running after the bird to keep an eye on where he was heading. With the jammed gun and me pulling off the face mask to see better I lost sight of the bird. Didn't hear him fly no clue as to where he ran. Anyway things happen but had fresh ammo and practice time in I would have taken it a bit better. That feeling of doubt sinks in because I was unable to do my normal routine.

I get it. Though the ammo shortage didn't cause the failure to eject. Disappointing for sure though.

Guilty

Me ...Walmart... today
View attachment 182151
Did they have a “reasonable” price on the 22LR? My local gunshop finally got on a pallet of Federal 22LR 800 round boxes and they were selling for $100 a box. I couldn’t believe it! It’s the only store that kept powder at normal prices until they ran completely out late last summer. My local Walmart shelf stockers must be making a killing on GB. Haven’t seen any ammo at a Walmart in months.

Did they have a “reasonable” price on the 22LR? My local gunshop finally got on a pallet of Federal 22LR 800 round boxes and they were selling for $100 a box. I couldn’t believe it! It’s the only store that kept powder at normal prices until they ran completely out late last summer. My local Walmart shelf stockers must be making a killing on GB. Haven’t seen any ammo at a Walmart in months.
$29.99 for the thunderbolt 22lr
$7.87 for the Winchester AA
$22.50 for the 100 packs of 12ga and 20ga

My wife happened to be shopping Saturday morning when they rolled out a cart full of ammo. Right place and time

I get it. Though the ammo shortage didn't cause the failure to eject. Disappointing for sure though.
Using 2 year old shells and not practicing like I always do when I have a fresh supply of ammo could easily been the issue with the jam but like I said things happen. I would have been able to chalk it up to "things happen" vs having the feeling that I didn't make sure my gun was shooting good. Practicing doesn't just make sure that I am proficient at shooting but also makes sure my equipment is in good working condition.

I have a couple of boxes of my copper hunting rounds, but I can't go shooting to practice. No idea when I'll see the particular Federal box back in the store so I don't want to burn bullets at the range.

I have trouble understanding who is hoarding the $40+ a box premium hunting rounds? I know I shoot 308, but I can't imagine the AR crowd is willing to shoot those kind of rounds? I suppose if there is nothing on the shelf and you want to shoot, you'll grab anything you can if you're desperate enough?

I suppose if there is nothing on the shelf and you want to shoot, you'll grab anything you can if you're desperate enough?
Definitely some of this going on. My local firearm forum has a strong barter economy going! Snag whatever is available and post a want-to-trade for X

Not necessarily a bad thing, but definitely doesn't help the shortage with people buying whatever they can.

Definitely some of this going on. My local firearm forum has a strong barter economy going! Snag whatever is available and post a want-to-trade for X

Not necessarily a bad thing, but definitely doesn't help the shortage with people buying whatever they can.
I probably need to get on something like that. Only down side is I like shooting one very particular box that is not very common to find. And apparently now its a meat eater branded box haha:

1620419132176.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jscrocca
Back