Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

ammo for 7 MM Rem Mag (1/8 twist)

icepirate

Hello,

I recently ordered a Seekins 7 mm mag. With the 1 in 8 barrel twist, does anyone have any recommendations for style/grain of bullet to try? It will be used for deer, antelope, and hopefully another elk or two at some point. Thank you.

I have had great results with bullets from 150 grains to 162 grains. Mines a rem 700, I'm not 100% sure what my twist rate is. I personally like the 160-162 grains bullets. It seems like the weight the cartridge was made for and I think offers a good balance of muzzle velocity and ballistic coefficients.

My current load is a 162 ELD-X (bc of .631) leaving around 3150 and stays above 1800 fps out to around 900 yards. In my mind that just means at the real ranges I'll be hunting I know I'll have the least amount of wind drift and elevation to adjust for as possible while still having a boatload of energy when it gets there

I had shot 160 grain accubonds as my first bullet. But I shot a ram (curly horned kind) at maybe 100 yards and on an animal no bigger than a whitetail the bullet failed, it didn't get a pass through. The whole reason I had picked them was a decent b.c. while being tough and could hold together. So I said why keep shooting these? If I'm going to have any bullet dump all it's energy and not hold together, hornady will give me that with a much higher b.c.

I get some folks may say not punching through a sheep is not a failure, to me it was. If it can't get through a sheep I wouldn't trust it to get deep enough into a bear.

And i've witnessed 162gr Hornady Interlock not make it through a white tailed deer, while a 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tip goes through no problem.

Sometimes screwy chit happens when hunting.

And i've witnessed 162gr Hornady Interlock not make it through a white tailed deer, while a 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tip goes through no problem.

Sometimes screwy chit happens when hunting.
^^This^^

I had a deer stop a 150 gr Nosler Partition out of a 7mm RM at close range. I had assumed it would go right through.

With that twist, I would start with about 168 and go up from there. It kind of depends on if you're going to be hand loading or using factory ammo? What ranges are you wanting to shoot.

The 140s, 150s will be sufficient for deer, antelope, and even elk but the faster twist of that rifle is made for the longer higher BC bullets. It will shoot the lighter bullets just fine.

I like Nosler, Barnes, Hornady, Sierra, and Berger bullets but that's me. If you're into the coppers bullets a lot of guys are liking Hammer bullets but I haven't tried them yet.

Thank you for the responses. Chevyman181, I'll be using factory ammo. Hoping to practice up to 500 yards, but will probably limit hunting shots to 400 yards. Does anyone have experience with the 168 grain Berger Hybrid Hunter?

great gun and great caliber> If you absolutely need a pass thru you better just aim for the lungs and no low or high shoulder hits. As far as bullets I have lots of experience with nosler and berger> I would shoot the 168 berger period... as it fits my style of hunting most often. If I was woods/timber hunting and specifically bear> I would shoot the 175 partitions.

I had shot 160 grain accubonds as my first bullet. But I shot a ram (curly horned kind) at maybe 100 yards and on an animal no bigger than a whitetail the bullet failed, it didn't get a pass through. The whole reason I had picked them was a decent b.c. while being tough and could hold together. So I said why keep shooting these? If I'm going to have any bullet dump all it's energy and not hold together, hornady will give me that with a much higher b.c.

I get some folks may say not punching through a sheep is not a failure, to me it was. If it can't get through a sheep I wouldn't trust it to get deep enough into a bear.
No way I'd shoot the ELD-X over an Accubond. Energy "dump" is a myth. Good luck with them. mtmuley

No way I'd shoot the ELD-X over an Accubond. Energy "dump" is a myth. Good luck with them. mtmuley
I like accubonds, All bullets kill> some guys change aim points depending on which bullet they are shooting and the field conditions. So my girlfriend just killed an oryx with a 6.5prc with the eldm. One shot behind the shoulder dropped it at 200YRDS tail spun for like 5 seconds dead right there. Well before she shot it I was telling all my buddies how much I hated those ELDX & ELDM bullets. I still am a berger & nosler guy. Many elk way to many to explain> just dropped one the spot with the 180 berger vld out of my 7mm Dakota and the shots were shoulder and lung. Something is is dropping & killing them super fast even when the spine is not hit. DRT

Thank you for the responses. Chevyman181, I'll be using factory ammo. Hoping to practice up to 500 yards, but will probably limit hunting shots to 400 yards. Does anyone have experience with the 168 grain Berger Hybrid Hunter?
We use them in 280ai, 7mag, and the 06. We've had great results for deer and elk. I'd go with them or the 168 Nosler LRAB, I'd also consider the 160 AB or the 154&162 sst for deer. We've kill deer, elk, and moose with the sst but I liked it better on deer than elk and moose.

The Hybrid Hunter, no.
The 168gr Berger VLD, yes.

I don't look for an exit hole with the Berger VLDs.
Nor do i shoot for the shoulder.
Put in the ribs, they do tremendous internal damage!!

That from all caliber & weights i've tried. From 25 yards to 400 yards.

I have a fierce with 1/8 twist. I shoots 180 vld great. Tried also 168 vids and 175 blue box federal and 150 norma sp. All shot good. Never tried lighter than that. Loaded up some 175 eldx. Hoping they shot good also. I would start with 160 grn bullets and work up

Not a ton of great factory options for that config but the federal 168 Berger hybrid and hornady 162 precision hunter are probably where I’d start.

Barnes 139 lrx is another option that won’t make as drastic of a wound channel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back