PEAX Equipment

Am I the only weirdo here who enjoys tuning?

Mossy-Back

I’m working on a new arrow setup for next year. Using Black Eagle Rampage shafts I messed around with point weight on 340, 300, and 250 spines. I’m aiming for about 500-550 grains total, high FOC.
Bow is a Bear Legion (single cam) set at 68# and 28.5” draw.
The 340s were too weak for my purposes, and the 250s ran heavier than I’d like.

After some rest adjustments I was able to get the 300s with 230-245 grains of point weight shooting bullet holes through paper at 4 yards, and bareshafts flying like darts out to 30 yards. Total arrow weight will be 515-530 grains and about 18% FOC using Ethics insert/outserts and 125 grain broadheads.

5A21620D-B170-4C0B-86BF-F0433FFA8B46.jpeg

I like it. Hell I built my own bow press and arrow saw just so I could fine tune everything.
You are pretty close to my set up, 300 spine victory RIPs with 230gr up front. 510gr total. I went 4 fletch Bohning heat vanes because they're so much quieter than the blazers. I love those ethics insert/outserts.

Last edited:
I like it. Hell I built my own bow press and arrow saw just so I could fine tune everything.
You are pretty close to my set up, 300 spine victory RIPs with 230gr up front. 510gr total. I went 4 fletch Bohning heat vanes because they're so much quieter than the blazers. I love those ethics insert/outserts.

I’m planning on running 4 fletch Q2i fusion 2” vanes. Short and low profile. I’ve been shooting the Black Eagle Zombie Slayers with Blazers and they are definitely loud.

Funny thing is I’ve only been back into archery for about 10 months. I used to shoot and bowfish when I was a kid and teen but then didn’t touch a bow until this year, 15 years later. This is the first year I ever bow hunted. I started shooting a 40 pound recurve last March and learned how to tune arrows for that and hunted early deer season with it. Passed up on some 15 and 20 yard shots at does. Got my Bear compound in early October and started tweaking and tuning and got the 250 grain VPA two blades I had for my recurve shooting well out of it. Couldn’t get close enough to a deer in late season, but still have a few weeks of turkey season left here.
Building the Rampage arrows for elk and deer next year. I wanted to set them up for 125 grain broadheads so I could have more selection to choose from in case I want to use a mechanical for turkeys, or blunts for grouse, etc.

Yup you sure are lol
no Im the same way taking a bow setting it up, dial it in, and shoot over the summer its all part of what makes archery so much fun

Awesome stuff! I have the same addiction as you.

I used to paper tune like you do but now I simply bareshaft tune and found that’s all that‘s needed.

IMO the stiffer spine of the arrow the better.

I do it all myself and for far to many other people. I enjoy tinkering for myself but it can get old doing it for others that always come last minute.

I am just in the learning phase of it as I've only recently aquired a press and tools. I like the tinkering aspect. My plan is to set both my bows up and tune them to the same arrow this year with 100gr solid iron wills, 3" q2i vanes. Hope its not too diffucult. I think the big thing about tuning is biting the bullet and buying the tools required to get into it, somewhat like reloading.

I’m just tuning using my rest and arrow point weight. Found what weight/FOC flies well bareshaft, then adjust rest as needed.

FYI, what in found on the Q2i vanes is weight is quite a bit different between 2” and 3”. I was originally going to do a 3” vane in 3 fletch with the low profile Fusions but found that 4 2.1” fusions weigh less than 3 3” fusions so I decided on a four fletch with 2.1” vanes.
7BE9063E-AE2B-47C7-B8BD-5F17BFD4CAF4.jpeg01A9B525-3AA8-4554-900E-CE2AB76B8E8C.jpeg

I’m just tuning using my rest and arrow point weight. Found what weight/FOC flies well bareshaft, then adjust rest as needed.

FYI, what in found on the Q2i vanes is weight is quite a bit different between 2” and 3”. I was originally going to do a 3” vane in 3 fletch with the low profile Fusions but found that 4 2.1” fusions weigh less than 3 3” fusions so I decided on a four fletch with 2.1” vanes.
View attachment 124526View attachment 124527

What outserts or collars are those? What was the original reason you wanted to go with the 3" q2i vanes?

What outserts or collars are those? What was the original reason you wanted to go with the 3" q2i vanes?

Those are the Ethics insert/collar system. I went with the adjustable 60 grain aluminum insert and 60 grain stainless collar.

I wanted to do a 3” vane so I could go lower profile (cable interference) and still have good stabilization. The 2.1” Fusions are still low profile but I can run four fletch and they are only 5.5 grains each vs over 9 grains each for the 3” Fusions.

I shot bows for a number of years and although I cannot say that I really enjoyed tuning, I considered it part of the deal, when shooting bows. I had all the tools to do it right. All history now.

Looking back at my paper tune I noticed my 350 grain point weight hole was very close to my 250 hole, and since I have a few 250 grain VPA two blades I threw one on an arrow and a 250 FP on another. That brings them to 355 grains point weight, 23% FOC, 650 grains total.
At 35 yards, which is the broadhead? (Backstop is 1/2” thick rubber stall mat)

61FC9A1D-5B03-4910-BDAC-5DF050C7C6A6.jpeg
FD71177D-62CF-431C-9F65-09F8B1B4F12C.jpeg
CA7D5BFD-6402-4014-BB43-4560D4EC7E5B.jpeg

Looking back at my paper tune I noticed my 350 grain point weight hole was very close to my 250 hole, and since I have a few 250 grain VPA two blades I threw one on an arrow and a 250 FP on another. That brings them to 355 grains point weight, 23% FOC, 650 grains total.
At 35 yards, which is the broadhead? (Backstop is 1/2” thick rubber stall mat)

View attachment 125918
View attachment 125920
View attachment 125919
Can't argue with the results! How quiet are those veins and did they glue up easy?
I used bohning heat veins last year in a 4 fletch. They are super quiet but I had some issues with the bases not wanting to sit right, could have easily been user error.
Love the Ethics Archery insert/collars too!

Can't argue with the results! How quiet are those veins and did they glue up easy?
I used bohning heat veins last year in a 4 fletch. They are super quiet but I had some issues with the bases not wanting to sit right, could have easily been user error.
Love the Ethics Archery insert/collars too!

The Q2i fusions glued up really well. I used a friend’s Bitz jig and the G5 Blu Glue and let each vane set up for a minute or two before removing the clamp. So far they are staying on very solidly despite some hits from field points and almost burying in the target.

They are definitely quieter than blazers. Never tried the heat vanes.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back