Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Am i the only out of state hunter that thinks this is wrong?

BigHornRam said:
Nut,

Your negative attitude is what gets you what you get. Utah non resident tags are some of the most reasonable priced tags in the west. If you applied 10 years ago, you would have had a fraction of the opportunity you have today. True demand keeps going up as well, but that's because there are a lot of people like you who want to hunt out west. Try a cow elk hunt in Colorado or such for an affordable introduction to Western hunting. These hunts go under subscribed and are a good management hunt, and can supply you with a lot of good tasting meat.

BHR, I would be happy with a cow elk in Colorado. :D I am pragmatic about draws also. I will never enter any of the "Big Timer" draws because I also use common sense for me. However I do have 3 sons who really what to experince them. I have advised them to move out west and become a resident. Montana needs 3 more flatlanders :p :D

Schmalts,

The RMEF gets their tags from those who will donate to them. They arent the ones "taking" them as you are saying. The people give those tags to them for a purpose. To support the organizantion and give them the largest drawing money maker they can. So lets see, you donate a much appreciated $20 sleeping bag from Walmart, nothing wrong with that and it is needed, Commiioner so and so donates one of his tags. You did what you could, he did what he could. Both are appreciated and both go to the cause.

You seem to have something against the rich. whats wrong with getting off your as$ and making a ton of money and spending it? The way the rich look at it is, if you dont like it, do something about it. go get an education, or put in extra hours at work and move up the chain. I think it is wrong to hold it against them. face the facts, if it wasnt for the rich there would not be jobs for the rest of us period. I am not rich by any means but I look up to those that are and use it for fuel to make me try harder. My dream is to one day buy a tag if I have to, for my Dad so he can finally get a chance to hunt a true trophy bull in area where thats possible. I accept the fact that in order to do so, I will have to dig into my wallet to do it. You can try and get everything for free and live life begging all you want. I will work hard and try my best to make sure you have benifits when you come to work. Its all in what you want to do, not in what they do.

I don't understand why they need the 'Conservation Tags' for this big convention anyways. It won't bring anymore people to the convention and if you did buy in for $5.00 that would be very expensive with that many tags it is like $940.00 and what if you didn't get any tags out of it?? man I don't think I will go....

Does anybody know;
#1 When and where will this "convention" be held and
#2 What will it cost to attend, to get in the door ?

I agree that Utah, and a lot of other states are trying to balance the managment budget on the backs of non-residents.

Sako7STW said:
Schmalts,

The RMEF gets their tags from those who will donate to them. They arent the ones "taking" them as you are saying.

You seem to have something against the rich. whats wrong with getting off your as$ and making a ton of money and spending it? The way the rich look at it is, if you dont like it, do something about it. go get an education, or put in extra hours at work and move up the chain. I think it is wrong to hold it against them. .
Sako, for one, these are the Publics tags. The fact is the SFW and RMEF are looking to get a huge chunk of the tags. This is plain wrong.
As far as the rich goes, I dont have nothing against them, Just the fact that they are getting better odds to hunt because they are rich. The tags and the F&G are a public owned and operated group in a lot of ways. When you make it so a certain group of persons gets a better chance to draw tags based on his income that is wrong and i cannot believe you think its OK. You talk in circles in my opinion. You say you someday want to be rich enough to beat the system and buy your way into getting a tag , but if you were really thinking you should be thinking that EVERYONE should be shelling out an extra 20$ to help out, keep the donated tags in the drawing and make the odds better for you now with the money you have. Do you not see what i am saying? I say these things because i am worried about the way the sport is going to the rich only. Besides, you dont know me, and I could probably afford to keep hunting when probably a lot of the other here couldnt but I dont think its still right. My son may not have a good job when he is my age and i still want him to afford to have the same chance to hunt as the rich guys do when that time comes.

I totaly do understand what you are saying BUT the tags I am talking about are not public tags. Nor would they ever be. I am of course talking Wyoming here. These tags upon getting one, the hunter has to specify which are he wishes to hunt in unless it is the Governer's Tag. So the animal that is taken by these tags are not accounted for for a specific area but they are off the state totals. So there for they will never be a tag given to the public, if the tags did not exist there would not be any more tags than there are now.

If organizations like the RMEF dont get some of the big money makers like these tags their effectiveness would go way down. Your son will be paying more, not less if it wasnt for these organizations doing what they can to preserve as much as possible. There are 2 sides to every coin. Ya they would get more tags if these tags werent given away(in Ut case) but the tags go to raising money for yours and mine childrens sake. Thats what I think your not seeing. Give some now and benifit later. The RMEF may not be perfect but I have seen 1000 times over the good they do do and therefor will always have my support.

Heres some follow up on Sako's comments and the Governor Tags for sheep and FNAWS involvement with them.

The figures are close guesstimates because I don't have the exact information handy.

In Montana there were about 100 resident sheep tags given out at $75. Thats a revenue of $7500. About 10 non-res tags at I'm guessing $800. Thats $8000 revenue. Double this for the unlimited tags that get sold. So were talking about $30,000 revenue for all of Montana sheep management per year. Last year the Governor tag went for about $180,000. FNAWS got 10% for auctioning it off and Montana FWP got the rest for specifically sheep management. These funds were going to be used for a land purchase in the Missouri Breaks to allow sportsman access to this land and land locked public land behind it. FWP diddle around and the biggest land owner in the package got a better offer from a private individual so it fell through. A smaller purchase may still take place. So is this a bad deal, auctioning off governor tags to the rich? How do we make it fairer for everyone and still raise the need dollars to improve future hunting opportunity?

The sheep tags are a whole different issue. I believe the auction tags are needed because sheep are so weak in numbers but the Elk can stand on thier own. Truth is that after the taking of the nonres tags there is and will be less nonres tags in the regular drawing for nonres for years to come. SFW took a wopping 25%!!! that is ridiculas. that is too many tags to give to just the rich hunters, sorry but I feel that is way out of line. Do you realize they are taking tags from units and giving them away at thier functions? I am looking over the regs now and there are tags that they took that have NO or only ONE elk tag left for the public draw!!!! this is bullshit!! so a way to look at it is in some top trophy units they took 100-50% of the tags!! see what i am saying now!

Just to let you know this passed the board. Many states will follow and we will all be stuck hunting our own states in the future.

WTF??????? Guys, if you are aware of some obscene giveaway like this and you don't scream like a stuck pig, you deserve to get f*cked by your own state officials!!!! Don Peay can go have a sexual interlude with himself here in Arizona, if I still have breath left in me!!!!!!! Thanks for the warning on Peay...We'll be watching

Peay is not good, IMO. The tag grab in UT was a done deal before the public even new about it. SFW pretty much get what they want in UT.

Hey guys, I emailed everyone of the UT RAC mambers and board members to tell them i think this is a very poor plan and discrimination against nonres and average income hunters. I got 2 relpies back and one guy thinks like I do, and said this plan was forced to vote without knowing the details. He/she said he will do everything to kill it in the next vote because it will get another vote. You all need to do the same thing and get on the link that was provided in an earlier post on this topic. I got another response from another RAC or Board memeber spouting quotes from Don Peay about numbers Blah blah Blah.... so we need to let these guys know that we are seeing through the bullshLt here and do not like it. We can kill this!!!! go to the UT F&G website and look up this http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/public_meetings/ then click on both the RAC mambers link and the Board memebers link and email the guys. You can copy and paste a message to make thing easy. DO IT OR LOSE IT!!

i just wont to hunt i don't wont to have to take out a loan to do it if a deer tag gets to 50 bucks i'll have to stop hunting them like i did antalope. elk i would go higher on but i'll never hunt out of state just due to the cost. i'm not poor but i cant see a res tag getting that high g&f here trys to raise both res and non res every year antalope dose not have 30 bucks worth of meat and a deer doesn't have much more.
Don't get me wrong i love big antlers but i hunt for the experiance and the worst thing i can do is shoot something because then i can't go tomarrow.
if i'm not hunting deer i'm after elk after that its coyotes and antlers or arrowheads there is more hunting at home than i'd ever have enough time to do

:D
cmiddleton said:
i just wont to hunt i don't wont to have to take out a loan to do it if a deer tag gets to 50 bucks i'll have to stop hunting them like i did antalope.
Damn, i think you better put that last beer back in the fridge :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back