ALPS OutdoorZ Traverse EPS Backpack

upchurch_k

I'm looking at this pack for an upcoming elk hunt, I know there are better packs out there but I don't have the budget to spend $400+ on a pack. If anyone has ever used the Traverse EPS I'd like to hear what you have to say about it. Is the expandable portion actually big enough to fit an elk quarter? Was it comfortable enough for all day wear when not loaded down to heavy? I have no intentions of going on a full on backcountry hunt in the near future so I'm looking to stay with a pack that is more of a day pack that could potentially haul meat if I get that lucky, and somewhere in that $150 price range.

I know it's a bit beyond the $150 price range but if you could swing a bit more the new Mystery Ranch Pop Up 18 is the epitome of day pack that can haul meat depending on how much bag storage you actually need. Every Alpz/Tenzig/Eberlestock/etc. pack I've ever laid hands on has felt like it might last for a couple trips at most before falling apart. The load cell of that AlpZ pack also looks like it doesn't expand very far with the webbing on the side which might make fitting elk quarters into it very difficult.

Pop Up 18:
http://www.mysteryranch.com/pop-up-18-pack

I have one and don't have any issues with it. I haven't used the expandable portion because I just throw the deboned meat in my pack. I think a rear quarter may be tough. If you deboned it you wouldn't have any issues. I think for the cost it is a very nice pack.

I found a good enough sale on this pack the year before last that I couldn't pass up. I took it on an elk hunt that year as a backup/secondary pack, but did not use it. This season I used it to help a young hunter pack out his first cow elk. As much as I tried I couldn't get the front quarter in the expandable portion of the pack. I ended up strapping the quarter to the outside of the pack. It wasn't ideal, but it worked for the 1.5 miles back to the vehicle. For deboned meat, scraps, or tenderloins and loins, it would be fine.

I remember looking at reviews on-line before I purchased it that asked the feasibility of the expandable area holding an elk quarter, some of the reviews stated it was doable--I'm not sure how they managed.

I have one, no issues so far. Definitely can be used as day pack. As far as the expandable portion, my one man tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad and rain jacket all fit in it with a little room left.

I have one and have used it the past several years.

Have packed a cow elk front quarter in the expandable portion and had no issues. I don't know that I could have fit a rear quarter in it, but to make it back to the truck to get my pack frame without wasting a trip it did really well, load felt very balanced and comfortable the whole way
I cannot afford one of the nice high dollar packs and I'll be the first to admit that Alps is probably no where near the quality of the other brands. It works for me and saved a bit of money in the mean time. They have an X version with tougher fabric that I think I'd probably go with if I had to do it again.

I have one and used it on my elk hunt last season. It comfortable and handled a load well. I don't think you'll fit an elk quarter in the expandable portion, I put mine in a gamebag in the main compartment. This pack weighs about 7lbs unloaded so keep in mind you'll be lugging some extra weight. I will be saving my pennies this year and upgrading to an Exo.

I believe you could save for a "good" hunting pack like MR, Exo, or SG if you saved your money and didn't buy beer for 6 months. It is totally worth it.

I know it’ll be worth it, and honestly if I wanted to spend that much I could make it happen. I try and look at it from a cost/use stand point. I live in Ft. Worth, TX so an elk hunt is a once a year trip at best, it would be hard for me to justify $450-$550 for a MR to use 1 week a year. I feel like the extra money I save by going with the Alps could be put to better use buying better layering clothing or other needed items. This will be my first elk hunt so just trying to get what I feel like the absolute necessities are, I’m definitely all ears from you more seasoned guys out there on what those “must haves” are though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back