PEAX Equipment

All Part of the Adventure (Montana)

Best quote of the article!

Regardless of the scars that will now likely remain for life, Rico said he will never give up on hunting.

“It will never stop me,” he said. “They can chew all my arms off and everything, and I’m still going to find a way to pull the trigger whether it’s on a bow or a rifle.”

I'm kind of amused by this one.

"Although they’re a popular sight in the lower farmlands, the timber and sagebrush area he was hunting in appeared to be bear-free."

Gotta start watching my step in those lower farmlands.

Honestly, the guy got off easy considering his reaction to the charge.

I'm kind of amused by this one.

"Although they’re a popular sight in the lower farmlands, the timber and sagebrush area he was hunting in appeared to be bear-free."

Gotta start watching my step in those lower farmlands.

Pretty sure this is the same attack from a couple of weeks ago in Tom Minor Basin. Just becoming news now that he giving interviews.
The quote above is probably referring to all the bears down in the irrigated fields on the B Bar Ranch. There was up to 15 of them visible at one time from the road last year. I haven't been down there this year yet, but there has been 7-10 bears out in the fields at a given time this fall as well. It's become a pretty popular viewing area. They are digging for roots and wild onions....I could see how you could call it "lower farmlands" compared to the rest of the upper basin.

At this rate tags will be an easy draw for residents next year.

"I, Hatchet Jack, being of sound mind and broke legs, do leaveth my rifle to the next thing who finds it, Lord hope he be a white man. It is a good rifle, and kilt the bear that kilt me. Anyway, I am dead." Sincerely, Hatchet Jack.

Watch your top knot out there fellas.

It's hard to believe the human population of Montana is growing. Over a million I hear. I figured they'd all be dead by now.

If people persist in trespassing upon the grizzlies' territory, we must accept the fact that the grizzlies, from time to time, will harvest a few trespassers.
Edward Abbey

Quick internet search and I found 28 fatal griz attacks in MT/WY/ID since 1830. Seems like in North America there have been just as many fatal black bear attacks as griz, but not a single one in MT/WY/ID!
I'm really liking my odds here!

it would be interesting if anybody could find stats on non-fatal attacks.

Also...there were at least 3 idiots killed by polar bears after climbing into their cages at zoos during the same period :confused:

A quick search tells me that there were 73 deaths from 1960-2005 at Red River Gorge from people trying to climbs cliffs or go places they shouldn't. I guess I need to watch out while I'm fly fishing down through some of the canyons there. I'd hate to have a rock climber fall on my head:rolleyes: In all seriousness though, I haven't hunted griz country yet. I have fished it several times in the backcountry and I didn't let it spoil my trip. You just got to be careful.

A quick search tells me that there were 73 deaths from 1960-2005 at Red River Gorge from people trying to climbs cliffs or go places they shouldn't. I guess I need to watch out while I'm fly fishing down through some of the canyons there. I'd hate to have a rock climber fall on my head:rolleyes: In all seriousness though, I haven't hunted griz country yet. I have fished it several times in the backcountry and I didn't let it spoil my trip. You just got to be careful.

That's ridiculous! We should definitely dynamite those cliffs into a pile of rubble!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wisco94
Back