Caribou Gear

All NM & Tonto AZ NF's ceases all wood extraction permits.

You don't have to team with radical groups that are against all extraction. Choose your partners carefully.

I teamed up with radical groups on the right and the left when the politics and votes dictate it. It's about advancing the best policy, not personal vendettas.

I worked with Feinstein and Thomas on the Quincy Library Forestry plan. Unfortunately like other plans to help small towns it went no where in the end.
She told me once it was hard working across the isle and Bill Thomas concured. He said,"The only way to get real change done is working together,otherwise it is lip service".

On a positive note,lol, I just got off phone with BLM. I can get firewood collection permit for an area near me.$10 a cord. Road trip tomorrow for tags & maps.

These aren't issues to big city folks who use natural gas to heat their homes. For the rest of us surrounding the small villages, it a catastrophe of epic proportion. The Federal Government has forced us into a situation of life or death. I know of no higher form of oppression do you? People will do whatever it takes to survive, no matter what the consequences are. Transfer of public land? Hell, there won't be any forest land left to transfer!

BLM is issuing wood permits Gila. Go buy some and fire up your chain saw so you don't freeze to death this winter.

Well worth the drive to Socorro today. Nice drive thru the Plains of San Augustine & got permits for firewood . Dead&down. $10 a cord.
BLM lady said no one thought about the folks who depend on it for heat...................said USDA-FS is working out a deal for this now.Said to hang onto the FS ones I have,they will make good.
BLM treated 2 areas near Pie Town. Wood is downed,limbed & bucked. Mostly Pinion & Alligator Juniper.
Just drive in & load......took me an hour & a half to fill my truck. Taking the big saw & a ramp so I can winch some big Alligator rounds tomorrow.
Green wood,but I will have lots for next year. Should be able find a few more seasoned ones to finish this years supply.
Cool

The point I really wanted to make is this is what comes from unfunded mandates. Watch any number of Randy's talks & he mentions this.
Another good note is there is movement. Voices are being heard.
All NM legislators have signed a letter of concern regarding this injunction or what ever legal scheme one wishes to call it.
FS is working to open to firewood collection.Now even the sue 'ers are saying they never even thought about firewood.....

Absolutely solar is the solution in a solar state. Alb and Sante Fe new builds have solar as an option. The VA medical center in ALB is solar. Many apartment complexes are going solar as well. Up until this wood fiasco, I was content with a wood stove. I am going to install a heat pump and run it solar along with the well. I might just go completely solar for the entire ranch but I have yet to run the numbers. I had to run heaters to the tanks last winter.

I am going to the district office on Monday to see if they still have wood for sale. They weren't selling enough permits so they hauled it out to a wood pile prior to this owl debacle. EDIT: all they have is pine....not any good for a stove.

Last edited:
The plaintiffs are still out to lunch now only allowing personal permits on the forest. There are very few individuals who buy permits. Most of the wood is extracted by commercial woodcutters who then sell it to the processors that cut to stove length and split the wood. Wood cutting is the only source of income for the small villages and land grants surrounding the forests. I am confident that relief will come this week.

Typical anti hunting agenda

Last edited:
Yesterday a judge granted a waiver for firewood cutting until this mess is fixed. Hopefully they will let the local mill haul already downed logs off the mountain so they can run this winter.
There are happy folks here that do cut firewood for their own use. I have a bunch of tags to fill still. Going to stockpile some again.

Unfortunately that so called court "solution" is like putting a band-aid on a severed artery. Lujan and Heinrich admonished the forest service then put their heads back into the sand. Most people around here buy processed wood. Actually most people in the state that burn wood buy it. Some families are pooling their personals to get enough wood out. The hoarding frenzy is going crazy. The gougers are charging 400 a chord as of last Friday. It wiil go up after todays news I'm sure. I was expecting a phone call when the land granters can go in and pull from the wood piles. Doesn't look like I will get that phone call any time soon. At least they are keeping the gates open so I can get to my elk hunt.

Unfortunately that so called court "solution" is like putting a band-aid on a severed artery. Lujan and Heinrich admonished the forest service then put their heads back into the sand. Most people around here buy processed wood. Actually most people in the state that burn wood buy it. Some families are pooling their personals to get enough wood out. The hoarding frenzy is going crazy. The gougers are charging 400 a chord as of last Friday. It wiil go up after todays news I'm sure. I was expecting a phone call when the land granters can go in and pull from the wood piles. Doesn't look like I will get that phone call any time soon. At least they are keeping the gates open so I can get to my elk hunt.
Don't worry they are thinking of ways they can stop you from getting your elk. These type of scenarios are coming to other states soon.

Absolutely solar is the solution in a solar state. Alb and Sante Fe new builds have solar as an option. The VA medical center in ALB is solar. Many apartment complexes are going solar as well. Up until this wood fiasco, I was content with a wood stove. I am going to install a heat pump and run it solar along with the well. I might just go completely solar for the entire ranch but I have yet to run the numbers. I had to run heaters to the tanks last winter.

I am going to the district office on Monday to see if they still have wood for sale. They weren't selling enough permits so they hauled it out to a wood pile prior to this owl debacle. EDIT: all they have is pine....not any good for a stove.
When people talk about being ‘totally solar’ most mean that they produce solar during the day that they use some of, put the rest on the grid then from around 8 PM-9AM they pull from the grid equal or less than amounts of energy than they produced. Not actually independently solar, they’ve just offset their usage. They still need the grid and it’s energy. Very few people and especially commercial entities have the battery storage necessary to be effectively 100% solar.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back