Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

All MT non-res elk combos are sold out!

Epfd217

Well, After missing out on all the draws and leftover draws we applied in, my buddy and I had decided this years OTC adventure would be in Montana. It was also not meant to be.

The FWP website shows 61 tags left, but the license purchase portal did not have the Combo tag as an option. A quick call to the FWP office confirmed the suspicions. All 17,000 elk combo tags are sold out.

Back to the drawing board......again.

So, Colorado or Idaho? I've never hunted either, but I WILL HUNT in September.

Colorado is a bit easier drive, yes? Probably could have a nice adventure in CO or ID. NM has tags through landowners/outfitters as does NV and UT and OR and even CO but are expensive in some cases. I like CO a lot for the scenery and have never had blowback for having out-of-state license on my vehicle while hunting.

Colorado would be my choice as well.Might as well archery hunt in the state with the most elk

I've done NM before and likely will again this January. A group of guys from work do a cow hunt on a ranch down there and we did draw a WY cow tag so it is likely I will have meat in the freezer, but the rut hunt in September is where its at.

I've never done CO, but the most elk also draws the most hunters and the last thing I want to see is hunters while I'm hunting. We have no issue spiking out a few miles, but I hear too many bad stories about other hunters and hikers. I get it that everyone is enjoying the outdoors, but for me, part of my elk hunt in September is the isolation.

I get that CO is the easiest option for many reasons. Is this the main reason Idaho doesn't get as much love? Too far, too thick etc?

I feel your pain. To make matters worse for me, I can only go the last week of September. So CO is out. Guess I'll be exploring ID for the first time. Oh well, I'll still be hunting! Best of luck to you!

-Ben

Buy a couple cheap montana deer b tags in region 7 or a region 4 cow tag . Lots of options still

Is this the slippery slope to left over non-res big game combo tags selling out each year? MT is my plan for an elk and mule deer bowhunt in the not very distant future, so looks like I'll need to be quick sharp and apply online soon as non-res big game combo tags go on sale

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back