Alcohol

I missed this the first time around. At 72 years of age, I've witnessed a lot of harm that alcohol does. My youngest brother nearly drank himself to death. He has been sober for ~10 years. He and i were elk hunting last week and were visiting about it.

For him, rehab for the 30 days gave him the length of time to realize how much better in every way he felt sober compared to being drunk or hungover all of the time.

My son has had alcohol problems for much of his adult life. Presently, he seems to have a handle on it, but time will tell.

I have never been a heavy drinker. When I am drinking at my heaviest, it is a drink a day for a few weeks. Then there might be several years where I don't have a drink, at all.

The ads for alcohol only show the giddy side of drinking, never the darkness. It has been years since tobacco could advertise on television, banning alcohol ads would seem to be a logical follow up.

It's a positive for many and a negative for many. Based on my family history, I'm predisposed to the negative, but really it just takes more conscious effort to moderate, to pause, to maintain control, than it may for others. I've debated the cold turkey approach, but I don't think I would be a better person or have a happier life. Though I readily acknowledge it's still a risk.

I’ve been thinking of it a fair amount, and cutting back.
I cut back and then quit when my wife as pregnant. Since she finished nursing we have gone to a brewery and had a glass of wine or two.

Honestly I notice the effect on my sleep way more now, and just kinda how shitty it makes me feel in general.

Where I'm at now is we don't keep any alcohol at home, but if we meet up with friends or something will have 1 drink.

Anyway I never considered drinking to be a problem for me but I'm also really glad I used the excuse to cut way back.

Below is concerning recreational use.

A bit of wine has been shown in medical studies to be a plus for non-alcoholics and those without compromised livers and kidneys. I recall red wine had a stronger positive correlation than white wine. Someone early in the thread mentioned they could not think of much positive about alcohol yet there can be for most of the population when consumed in moderation. Again, medical studies independently reviewed and repeated over several decades.

Tobacco, in comparison, has zero nutritional value and no reputable studies have shown any quantity of use is a plus for humans.

Marijuana has benefits for pain management and nausea reduction for cancer patients though smoking exposes lungs to irritation. Please, use edibles so I don't have to smell the skunk as walk around outside. I was in downtown Denver last weekend and am still craving pepperoni pizza just from the second-hand week fumes. Young males have been studied and there is long-term brain impairment that retards development of the lobe which evaluates consequences of actions. Many of my friends that were chronic users failed to adult very well.

Then, there are the drugs that almost always destroy relationships and decrease the ability to function in society when used recreationally since long-term addiction is the likely outcome. The drugs derived from opium plants and from coca leaves are bad for everyone. The super drugs are bad for everyone.

I have seen addictions to alcohol, drugs, gambling and chasing skirts prevent acquaintances from forming and maintaining healthy relationships with those that love them. Some have died. Some are just not able to function well in society. I have lived 6 decades and seen some stuff. Addictions and living paycheck to paycheck tend to separate those who will nurture their children to have a better life than they knew from those that merely create another generation of failed adults.

A bit of wine has been shown in medical studies to be a plus for non-alcoholics and those without compromised livers and kidneys. I recall red wine had a stronger positive correlation than white wine. Someone early in the thread mentioned they could not think of much positive about alcohol yet there can be for most of the population when consumed in moderation. Again, medical studies independently reviewed and repeated over several decades.
The red wine thing has largely been debunked. As has the 2 drinks a week is better than none theory. Best science today says zero is the best answer, but 2 or less per week is most likely not a problem.

Last edited:
I wrote this back in February. The fellow I referenced here, got out of the hospital a few weeks ago - lost most of his pancreas, still has internal infections, wounds that have to be cleaned, and is trying to learn to move again after 9 months of being bedridden. He’s been on painkillers for the better part of the year and will take another year to get off of them, and his life will never be the same. At one point shortly after the OP, a family member of his asked me to make a video basically asking my friend to fight to live- to stay alive - a weird and difficult video to make.

One of my best friends damn near lost everything in July, and left his family for over a month in rehab due to alcoholism. I had no idea things had gotten so bad. I spoke to him frequently and he hid it so effectively I have often wondered since if I really know the people I think I do. People can obscure darkness.

Maybe it is the approach of the latter half of my life, but I’ve been thinking of it a fair amount, and cutting back. I’d be lying if I didn’t think there was an upside and didn’t enjoy it at times, but there are also some really compelling facts out there about how it is terrible for your body and mind. Even in small amounts.

I'm not sure if you are Chris or Andrew in that video and why you posted or if you just liked that video but it was certainly worth my time to watch it and so thank you. Lots of good stuff talked about in that video, may have to watch a few more related to it.

Tobacco, in comparison, has zero nutritional value and no reputable studies have shown any quantity of use is a plus for humans.

Marijuana has benefits for pain management and nausea reduction for cancer patients though smoking exposes lungs to irritation. Please, use edibles so I don't have to smell the skunk as walk around outside. I was in downtown Denver last weekend and am still craving pepperoni pizza just from the second-hand week fumes. Young males have been studied and there is long-term brain impairment that retards development of the lobe which evaluates consequences of actions. Many of my friends that were chronic users failed to adult very well.

Then, there are the drugs that almost always destroy relationships and decrease the ability to function in society when used recreationally since long-term addiction is the likely outcome. The drugs derived from opium plants and from coca leaves are bad for everyone. The super drugs are bad for everyone.

I have seen addictions to alcohol, drugs, gambling and chasing skirts prevent acquaintances from forming and maintaining healthy relationships with those that love them. Some have died. Some are just not able to function well in society. I have lived 6 decades and seen some stuff. Addictions and living paycheck to paycheck tend to separate those who will nurture their children to have a better life than they knew from those that merely create another generation of failed adults.

VikingsGuy is right. The old glass of wine a night being good for you has been debunked thoroughly.

Andrew Huberman is a scientist at the Stanford school of medicine and has a good podcast on health and such. I thought about posting this initially, but it’s a two hour long podcast that I don’t expect anyone to listen to.

I’m not a zealot for anti-drinking by any means, it’s just interesting and potentially eye opening information.

I'm not sure if you are Chris or Andrew in that video and why you posted or if you just liked that video but it was certainly worth my time to watch it and so thank you. Lots of good stuff talked about in that video, may have to watch a few more related to it.

I am neither British nor a California Scientist. Just thought it was pertinent.

This debunking is news to me. Apparently I missed the memo. Along with the rest of the Internet and the national institute of health

In conclusion, wine differs from other alcoholic beverages and its moderate consumption not only does not increase the risk of chronic degenerative diseases but is also associated with health benefits.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back