Caribou Gear Tarp

Alberta mule deer 2016

bonedogg

Our group had intended to draw 6 tags in a unit they four of us had history with, when the draws came out the two that had never drawn a special draw tag were successful and the rest were not drawn. They drove down on Tuesday to scout and obtain permission while they gave us constant updates. Their first two days were filled with many buck sightings but nothing that tickled their fancy. It was determined that two of us would come down on Friday and lend a hand in finding some bucks. We met them in the am and headed to the happy hunting grounds. We parked the truck and hiked in a mile or two to a designated spot and immmediately had bucks in the spotter! After a couple of stalks and some good luck we were hunkered down 320 yds from about 12 does and 5 bucks milling around a small Pocket of willows. The best buck was a clean 4x4 and he was a good deer for the zone and it was determined that he would do for the first guy up. The first shot was a clean miss but the follow up anchored him immediately. High fives and some excitement followed. His first mule deer was pretty much what we thought he was and we had a happy hunter.

Last edited:
We made our way over to where he went down and a quick search didn't find the buck. We did another loop and found him jammed in this spot that we had walked by at a mere two yards and did not see him. From this perspective we were bummed out as ground shrinkage seemed to be evident, but when we pulled him out he alleviated our concerns and turned out to be what we thought he was to begin with, a great first mule deer!

Attachments

• IMG_0563.jpg
    IMG_0563.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 629
The rock star pic for some fun and off to find another one..... wait til you see the next one! If you like mass , you will want to see this one.

Attachments

• IMG_0634.jpg
    IMG_0634.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 627
I discovered a new trick on the computer. At work, someone flipped the screen, and the screens were upside down. Of course, my working companion did it to me and said goodbye. Luckily, my tech stopped me from cold starting the computer Control alt and use the arrows. Up, right, down, and left.

I tried it at home today. Sideways, pictures are suddenly viewable. It works.

Unfortunately, all of the arrows work. Right, left, down. Unfortunately, my up key was dead. I killed my computer. Woke my wife up. Pleaded.

Even the computer savvy did not know those keys did that. She thought for a second and went into settings on the computer and changed portrait to landscape, or vice versa.

The computer screen is now upright and on this old computer, I am not touching those keys again.

It was funny, but you cannot use an upside down computer screen. The mouse is freaking outside the correct orientation.

I use a computer daily, but not computer tech savvy. I have my wife for that!

I posted on this post because this is when I screwed up looking at the OP pictures. I thought it would be helpful to fellow members.

Last edited:
As soon as we cleaned up and were back in cell service we received a call from a person that the group had befriended the day before and he had a group of mule deer in a valley that he though we should take a look at. We snuck to within 450 yards and peeked over the ravine to see a bunch of mules bedded all over the draw. Getting any closer was going to be tough, they were oriented in every direction and if we got another 50 yards that would be ideal. The first buck we put the spotter on was in my mind a shooter, a tall, heavy clean 4x4. There were 12 deer, 7 bucks, two possible shooters, and a couple of does in estrous. The shooter and one spotter in the best came belly crawled into the draw, spotter first as the "rock", followed close afterwards by the shooter. As they scooted the 50 yards needed, it was evident by their motions back to us that a big deer was close by that we could not see and the decision was going to be tough. the closer buck was wider but didn't have the mass the further buck had. When the buck with mass stood up to tend the doe, it became evident the shooter had made his decision and was about to shoot. At 395 yards he took aim with his 7mm-08 and let go. the buck was hit high and spined and dropped immediately. Again, high fives and dome hoots and hollering was in order. It was a blast walking up on the buck altogether and this time no shrinkage was in order what so ever! his mass and beauty unbleached light coloured cape is pretty sweet and the scar in his nose adds a bunch of character. Record breaking high temps of 24 degrees celsius capped off one incredible day on the prairies of Alberta!

Attachments

• IMG_0608.jpg
    IMG_0608.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_0605.jpg
    IMG_0605.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_0603.jpg
    IMG_0603.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_0615.jpg
    IMG_0615.jpg