Alberta Moose Hunting

bigsky2

I am trying how to find out how I can go moose hunting in Alberta (I'm from the US). I plan on hunting with my friend who is a resident of Alberta and having him be my hunter host (meaning I would not need a guide). From what I can see in the regs, I can not apply for special moose permits, but I think I can buy an over the counter tag and hunt in general units. Can anyone confirm if this is the case, and if not, explain to me how a non-resident alien can hunt moose in Alberta?

I'll get the correct info for you tomorrow right from the horses mouth. In layman's terms.
Also looks like moose is on a draw through out most of the Province so applying has to be done with the hunter host as well.

OUTFITTING AND GUIDING REQUIREMENTS
FOR NON-RESIDENTS (CANADIAN) AND NON-RESIDENT ALIENS
(Click here to view Definitions)

There is no requirement for non-resident (Canadian) and non-resident alien game bird hunters to contract their game bird hunts through a Bird Game Outfitter-guide. They may hunt game birds without an Outfitter-guide, a guide or Hunter Host. However, those who do choose to hire an outfitter-guide for such a hunt must do so through the holder of a valid Bird Game Outfitter-guide Permit.

In this section, the term "accompany" or "accompanied" means that the persons involved are close enough to each other to easily facilitate verbal communications without the need for electronic devices. It is acceptable, however, for the hunter to be placed in a stand location by the guide or hunter host, if they remain at that same location to be picked up later the same day.

Non-resident (Canadian) and Non-resident Alien hunters of big game, wolf and coyote must be accompanied by a licensed guide or a Hunter Host. Each of these hunters has two options:
1.he or she may contract the holder of a valid Big Game Outfitter-guide Permit, be guided by a Big Game Designated Guide, and hunt under the authority of a licence allocated to an outfitter-guide (for information on outfitter-guides, contact the Alberta Professional Outfitters Society at apos.ab.ca), OR
2.he or she may be hosted by a Hunter Host (see below) - usually a relative or friend - and hunt according to the following restrictions and conditions: •Non-resident Aliens may hunt with a Hunter Host only if they have not done so in the previous two (2) fiscal years (April 1 - March 31).
•Non-residents (Canadian) and Non-resident Aliens are limited to certain licences as indicated in the Licence Availability section (click here for details).
•Non-resident Aliens hosted by Hunter Hosts may hunt big game only during seasons that do not require one of the special licences, obtained through a draw, indicated by a in the Big Games Seasons (WMUs) section or listed under Additional Special Licence Draw Hunts.
•A Non-resident Alien and his or her intended Hunter Host must apply at a Fish and Wildlife Division office for their licences and make a statutory declaration that he or she understands the terms and conditions of the licences (Scroll down to view Hunter Host Licence).
•A Non-resident Alien must not hunt bighorn sheep, cougar or trophy antelope while accompanied by a Hunter Host.
•Further Restrictions for Non-resident Aliens Who are Not Relatives of the Hunter Host or the Hunter Host's Spouse ◦Relatives are defined as father, brother, son, uncle, nephew, grandfather, grandson, son-in-law, brother-in-law (and female equivalents) of the Hunter Host or spouse of the Hunter Host.
◦The Non-resident Alien and intended Hunter Host, if not related, must initiate an application at a Fish and Wildlife office for their licences, described above, by August 31 of the licence year, or by the following February 28 for the spring black bear hunt.
◦The Non-resident Alien may apply to hunt only two (2) species of big game and wolf/coyote.

A Hunter Host
•Must be an adult resident, and be eligible to hold recreational hunting licences.
•Must be the holder of a valid WIN and Hunter Host Licence (below).
•may not provide services for gain or reward, or accept remuneration, directly or indirectly, for such services.
•may host a maximum of two (2) hunters/year, either Non-residents (Canadian), Non-resident Aliens or a combination thereof. If hosting 2 Non-resident Aliens, at least 1 must be a relative.
•may host Non-resident Aliens only if the host has not hosted a Non-resident Alien in the previous two (2) fiscal years (April 1 to March 31).
•must report to the Fish and Wildlife office by December 31 in the year of harvest all hunting activities by the Non-resident Aliens he or she hosted. A report must be submitted even if the hunter doesn’t harvest an animal.
•must accompany the hunter(s) named on his or her Hunter Host Licence while they are hunting big game under the authority of the Hunter Host Licence.

Hunter Host Licence
A resident who wishes to be a Hunter Host may purchase a Hunter Host Licence online at albertarelm.com or at any licence issuer. You must have the WIN(s) of the non-resident(s) at the time of purchase. You must ensure that the hunters you host are named on your Hunter Host Licence. If you purchase your Hunter Host licence naming one hunter and you decide to add a second hunter to your licence at a later date, you can do so at no additional charge. Return to albertarelm.com or to a licence issuer with your licence and have it amended. Once you have purchased your Hunter Host Licence, the hunters may purchase their licences.

A Hunter Host who plans to take a non-resident alien hunting must do the following:
1.Go to a Fish and Wildlife office in person and initiate an application (including statutory declaration). Sign it and have your signature sworn. If your Non-resident Alien is not a relative, you must start this process by August 31 or February 28 as described above.
2.Have the Non-resident Alien sign the application and have his or her signature sworn. If the Non-resident Alien does not have a WIN, have him or her fill out a WIN application at the same time.
3.Take the completed application to a Fish and Wildlife office. The application will be reviewed for final approval and keyed into the automated licensing system.
4.When you are notified that your application is approved, go online at albertarelm.com or to any licence issuer and purchase your Hunter Host Licence (see above) and the appropriate Wildlife Certificate and licences.

NON-RESIDENT ALIEN LICENCE AVAILABILITY

All Non-resident Alien hunters of big game, wolf or coyote require either a Big Game Designated Guide or a Hunter Host. See Outfitting and Guiding Requirements.

Non-resident Aliens who hunt with a Hunter Host may obtain Antlered White-tailed Deer, Antlered Mule Deer, Antlered Moose, Antlered Elk, Black Bear Special Licences and Wolf/Coyote Licences (see table below) online at albertarelm.com or at any licence issuers. See Outfitting and Guiding Requirements for a summary of the circumstances under which these licences may be used and the limitations that apply.

Non-resident Aliens contracting a hunt with a Big Game Outfitter-guide must obtain Special Licences by using an allocation, available from their outfitter-guide. Wolf/Coyote licences can be purchased without an allocation. Non-resident Aliens using the services of an outfitter-guide must be guided by a Big Game Designated Guide. These licences are only available at licence issuers.

NON-RESIDENT ALIEN LICENCE COSTS AND COMBINATIONS

NOTE: The 5% federal Goods and Services Tax (GST) is not included in the costs listed below.

Prior to purchasing any licence, each hunter must possess a valid WIN (scroll up for more information regarding the WIN - Wildlife Identification Number) and a Non-Resident Alien Wildlife Certificate, which costs $68.22. Hunters wishing to hunt with a bow and arrow must also purchase a Bowhunting Permit (not required for hunting with a cross-bow).

Licence Price
($) Restrictions Applying
to the Species Maximum Licences
Allowed Per Hunter

Antlered White-tailed Deer Special Licence

203.84 1

None

A Non-resident Alien may obtain 1 of each licence from this list of 9.

Antlered Mule Deer Special Licence

203.84 1

Antlered Elk Special Licence

291.43 1

Antlered Moose Special Licence

310.30 1

Black Bear Special Licence 2

105.02 1

Trophy Sheep Special Licence 3

366.45 1

A Non-resident Alien who killed a sheep in 2014 may not purchase a Trophy Sheep Special Licence in 2015.

Cougar Special Licence 3

254.97 1

None

Wolf/Coyote Licence

12.40 1

Click here for Other Species and more information.

Trophy Antelope Special Licence 3

253.02 1

None

Bowhunting Permit (not required for cross-bows)

Not Applicable

Not Applicable

WIN Renewal

Licence Reprint 4

Tag Replacement 5 0.00
1.If purchased through an outfitter-guide, or the Alberta Professional Outfitter Society, an additional service fee is charged.

2.This licence is valid for 2 black bears where the Resident and Non-resident (Canadian) Supplemental Black Bear Licences are valid (2-bear areas).

3.Trophy Sheep, Cougar and Trophy Antelope Special Licences are available to Non-resident Aliens only through an outfitter-guide.

4.Licences purchased at a licence issuer can be reprinted at any licence issuer for a $2.00 fee. Licences purchased online can be reprinted online at no charge.
5.A replacement tag(s) for a licence purchased online or at a licence issuer can be replaced at no charge. You are required to bring your licence to a district office. In both cases you must complete a statutory declaration to authorize the replacement at a Fish and Wildlife office.

Sorry, to be clear you can do such under a hunter host but can only bow hunt during the applicable bow season as there are no longer any general rifle zones for moose.

Last edited:
bonedogg your correct that all zones are draw province wide with exceptions during archery season. That's what I had to clarify this morning. So the op has to apply for a moose draw with the hunter host and they go off the priority points of the lowest applicant. Sad to say depending on the wildlife management unit ( WMU ) it could be from 1 year to 18 - 20 years or more. Accessing a guide can be pricy but get you a moose every year.

Non resident aliens ( non Canadians)cannot apply for draws here, but you are correct they can get an outfitter year after year

bonedogg your correct that all zones are draw province wide with exceptions during archery season. That's what I had to clarify this morning. So the op has to apply for a moose draw with the hunter host and they go off the priority points of the lowest applicant. Sad to say depending on the wildlife management unit ( WMU ) it could be from 1 year to 18 - 20 years or more. Accessing a guide can be pricy but get you a moose every year.

Powder burn, the above only applies to non-resident Canadians as per the draw, meaning they must reside in another province or territory to draw and co-ordinate that draw with their hunter host

Last edited:
So correct me if I'm wrong, from what you guys are saying it sounds like my only option as a non-resident alien is to archery hunt in a general unit. Or can I apply for a draw WITH my hunter host?

So correct me if I'm wrong, from what you guys are saying it sounds like my only option as a non-resident alien is to archery hunt in a general unit. Or can I apply for a draw WITH my hunter host?

Yes, archery only in zones where over the counter tags are available . no draws available to you as a non resident alien

Let me know if you have any further questions as I can provide some insight into certain zones and what to expect , some great zones are available for archery but understanding the amount of private land vs crown land ( public land similar to your blm lands) may determine what kind of hunt you are looking for. Good luck with your quest .

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back