Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Alberta farm land Muleys?

wswat

I know you have to be guided in Canada but just wondering if anyones has gone up to Alberta and tried and farmland hunt . Thanks for the help.

I believe there are a lot of places in Canada where you can hunt without a guide, but it varies by the Province and animal.

If you want to see some hog muleys that's the place to go. Been a few years since I have been up there, but SE Alberta is a draw area and only a class A guide can take a alien NR into a draw area. You can hunt the same area for whiteys with a class C guide(free) or hunt the mtn zone for muleys with a C guide.
It used to take 4 points to get a muley tag in the SE zone.
Its a crying shame that you get 10 miles out of MT and there is muleys running that will scare you and don't get me started on the bucks in SK.(damn general rifle rut season)

Whats wrong with the rifle rut hunt?Seems to me you can be alot more picky during that time.I think the bigger size may have alot to do with their food sources up there,and hunter numbers.I really enjoyed the rifle rut hunt in Mt. this year.Allowed me to look over a few bucks till I found one worth shooting in my limited amount of time to hunt

Can't shoot a 190 when they get killed at 160!!! A Muley needs to live until at least 6.5 years old, 7.5 is better for their best antlers. Very few bucks can get that age class in MT with the 5 week rifle season. JMO
You can just about go to anyplace that borders MT and get a few miles in and start seeing bigger bucks.

I live in Alberta and there is no such thing anymore about class a or c guides.
There are 2 ways to do a mule deer hunt.

1. pay an outfitter to hunt and be guided

2. Make a real nice friend who will hunter host you to hunt in Alberta who lives here. This has to be a real good friend as it is illegal to take any money or trade to be guided by a resident who will be hunter hosting you. The resident who will be taking you is only allowed to take one non resident Alien or U.S person such as yourself once every 3 years. You will also have to apply for the draw which could take you 3-6 years on average.

Southern Alberta and North in the Peace country have been good in the past. Right now after the winters we have had the trophy deer and upper age clas are wiped out and not worth spending a lot of money on hunting for a couple of years.

If you have any more questions just PM me and I will try to help

Thanks nube!! Looks like it's back to the Hat for me.
Jon Boy, when you go a little more farther in all you get is to the other side. LOL
When the feds are cutting off the last two weeks season for the Muleys(CMR) that should tell you something.
Also check the record books both B +C and P + Y, they to will show you whats going on.

This is what you find when you go 5 miles into the beartooths/absaroka wilderness 161.JPG
If I was a better hunter his bigger friend that didnt want to pose for a pic woulda been dead. 190-200 inchers are out there . This one would score close to 180 and his buddy woulda been pushin 190-200

Nice buck, there is a center pivot that borders city limits by the Hat that you can see bucks like that.
Not taking away from the buck in the picture, because by MT standards that is a monster.

I know what you mean, Alberta is always gunna be better know for older and larger bucks, but thats all due to limited amount of hunting. In MT we get to hunt the rut every year with a general tag and always have a chance at a monster, just not as great as alberta. Id personally rather get to hunt every year.

I know what you mean, Alberta is always gunna be better know for older and larger bucks, but thats all due to limited amount of hunting. In MT we get to hunt the rut every year with a general tag and always have a chance at a monster, just not as great as alberta. Id personally rather get to hunt every year.

I can hunt Alberta every year on a general as well but the areas to do this you won't see as many deer and are hard to hunt in some places. Thing is you can shoot a monster doing it still. One of the areas I have hunted is where I sheep hunt. It takes 12 miles of hiking to just get to base camp and in November it can be COLD!

The best areas have a draw in place but you can still get the draw most areas after 3-5 years for the most part.

Here are a few I have shot in years past. I don't get too involved in hunting mule deer for some reason but I still pull the odd tag to keep my interest. Havent bothered to shoot one in about 6 years and I am waiting to dedicate a good hunt to kill a big one so maybe next year.
IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Here is a buddy I guided for one year from Michigan.
Picture003.jpg

Another friend I spotted this one for the day before and he ended up finding him.
IMG_0013.jpg

Nice bucks nube! In the easy to draw areas of alberta it sounds like you need to go just as far in as in a general hunt in MT and in the hard to draw areas you need an outfitter.

Nice bucks nube! In the easy to draw areas of alberta it sounds like you need to go just as far in as in a general hunt in MT and in the hard to draw areas you need an outfitter.

Not sure if i understand?

Access is usually easy in either gemeral or not. Most areas you can drive or quad around easily. The area that I have hunted mule deer on general tag is where I sheep hunt and why I posted that is it hard for me to walk into. I don't put any effort into locating mule deer as i am sheep hunting but have a tag just in case I see a big one which I have seen some great deer in the past. Usually when I didn't buy a tag of course!

Also hunting is not controlled by the outfitters. The residents don't use an outfitter at all for guiding or accessing land.
Most land hunted is private land. All you have to do is ask to hunt it. There is no paid hunting in Alberta. It is illegal as it should be anywhere. Paid hunting wrecks it for the sport as well as landowner tags that can be sold to anyone with money.
No disrespect but we are trying to stay as far away from the way things are done in the U.S as we can be. It seems liek in the States if you have money you will have a decent hunt or if you wait forever to draw a once in a lifetime tag. I think I am lucky to live where I do. Our system is not perfect. There are good an bad but for the most part I am glad it is done the way it is.

Not sure if i understand?

Access is usually easy in either gemeral or not. Most areas you can drive or quad around easily. The area that I have hunted mule deer on general tag is where I sheep hunt and why I posted that is it hard for me to walk into. I don't put any effort into locating mule deer as i am sheep hunting but have a tag just in case I see a big one which I have seen some great deer in the past. Usually when I didn't buy a tag of course!

Also hunting is not controlled by the outfitters. The residents don't use an outfitter at all for guiding or accessing land.
Most land hunted is private land. All you have to do is ask to hunt it. There is no paid hunting in Alberta. It is illegal as it should be anywhere. Paid hunting wrecks it for the sport as well as landowner tags that can be sold to anyone with money.
No disrespect but we are trying to stay as far away from the way things are done in the U.S as we can be. It seems liek in the States if you have money you will have a decent hunt or if you wait forever to draw a once in a lifetime tag. I think I am lucky to live where I do. Our system is not perfect. There are good an bad but for the most part I am glad it is done the way it is.

From my perspective the only bad part is how hard it is for me to hunt there. It is impossible without an outfitter. Any one know anything about Dual Residency??? :D

From my perspective the only bad part is how hard it is for me to hunt there. It is impossible without an outfitter. Any one know anything about Dual Residency??? :D

I have a cousin(from the US) that married a guy from Canada and I think she got dual residency cause of it. I am starting to think I gotta find myself a nice Canadian girl :)

Not imposible at all! Like I said, make soem friends. I know there are a lot of guys that come up every year throught the hunter host system.

Your worried about an outfitter and paying for it but that is exactly what the most part of hunting in the U.S is isn't it? Pay for access, pay for landowner tags. I have a buddy in Utah who spent $20K hunting his elk 2 years in a row! He said even if he drew a tag he would still have to pay thousand of dollars just to access the land he wanted to hunt.

I didnt read your very post on the subject. Now I realize that as a non-resident (like the original poster and myself) you either have to have a REALLY good friend or a GUIDE. Im not friends with any canadians and have no desire to go with a guide. I like the way MT does it, it provides the most opportunity for the greatest number of people and is a quality experience.

Your worried about an outfitter and paying for it but that is exactly what the most part of hunting in the U.S is isn't it? Pay for access, pay for landowner tags. I have a buddy in Utah who spent $20K hunting his elk 2 years in a row! He said even if he drew a tag he would still have to pay thousand of dollars just to access the land he wanted to hunt.

I dont know where you got that idea? Have you ever watched On Your Own Adventures? Thats what hunting is like here

Back