Alaska Moose Trip Report - DM920

COEngineer

I will avoid the suspense and let you know that I never found out what a moose quarter on my back feels like. We were in the wrong unit at the wrong time - that's hunting. We had several people tell us that we should have come 2 weeks later, but just as many people said there are usually bulls all over the place this time of year, and one guy in particular (from Fairbanks) said he saw the biggest moose he has ever seen at this time last year (he was there with a tag hoping to see it again this year). A local retired guide said last winter was brutal and the summer extremely hot, so a lot of bulls might have died in the snow and/or were still way up in the mountains.

Highlights:
- Lynx. I saw the mom and a couple minutes later my buddy stumbled into her two kittens and then crapped his pants when she jumped out of a tree nearby.
- Moose. We got close to a cow and calf - their bark is similar to an elk, but more guttaral and louder. We spotted a different cow a mile away across the valley and practically up in sheep country. The last night of the hunt we heard a cow call (pretty sure) and then something responded to her (maybe a young bull??), but we never saw them.
- Wolf. Saw a glimpse of one running across the road near dark.
- Bears. We saw 9 different bears, most at great distance through binocs, but one right by the road. I think most were grizzly, but I'm certainly no expert.
- Northern Lights. Saw them several nights. Very cool, but none of the super bright/colorful ones.
- Snow-capped peaks. We drove over Atigun Pass and out to the tundra (but not all the way to Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay). The snow is indescribably white on the mountain tops. These mountains did not feel like the Rockies.
- Grayling. We fished the Jim River on the way back to Fairbanks and caught singles here and there on silver spinners. Then we found a hot spot and probably caught a dozen from 12-18". We gutted and fried them skin-on in butter with a little seasoning salt and they were delicious.
- Snowshoe hares. They were just starting to turn white, which made them really stand out against the dull brown leaf litter. We shot and ate two of them just for the heck of it. They are decent sized and taste like chicken (except for the stringy legs, which taste like rubber after you chew on them for a minute, same as any other small game).

A few generalities worth sharing:
- Uhaul trucks make decent car/base camps. They are water and bear resistant, you can stand up in the back, you can put whole tents in them so you don't have to take them down each morning. They are relatively cheap and you can drive them on the Dalton Hwy (haul road). They also have railings, so if you were thinking ahead you could bring some hooks to hang all your stuff on them.
- The Dalton Hwy sounds worse than it is. Most of the road is in decent shape - you have to watch out for the pot-holes, but more importantly, the hard-to-see frost heaves that can and do send under-loaded Uhauls airborne. We only saw one car (yes, someone drove a regular old car up there) broken down along the ~800 miles we drove.
- Some of the locals are very friendly if you demonstrate a willingness to do more than road hunt. Some of the locals don't appreciate their own hypocrisy in making a living off of the tourists/hunters who visit but also feel like you are trying to kill "their" moose, even though they apparently (I can't figure out the subsistence rules) can drive anywhere they want and hunt with a rifle while we were restricted to driving no more than 1/4 mile from the highway and can only use archery equipment. I guess the fact that it's all BLM land doesn't factor into it for them either.
- Hiking/walking in open areas that isn't an old or current road is extremely difficult. I live in CO and hike in the mountains all the time. This is completely different. It's not that's it's steep (which it is in some places), or high (the mountains near us were only 5-6,000') but that the ground is so uneven. The tussocks, as the local former guide called them, make hiking a nightmare.
- A lot of areas look just like the Rocky Mountains. Many times I thought, "If I took a picture from here, no one would know that I wasn't in CO." 20190907_162052.jpg
20190908_092112.jpg20190909_083716.jpg20190909_131525.jpg20190910_145405.jpg

what an experience...I'd gladly trade it for any of my trips where I filled a tag

Remarkable how great your trip sounds! The second picture with glacial silt waters and changing leaves, makes my heart ache... Alaska is the most amazing place in my experience. I'm glad you had a chance to see it!!!!

- Some of the locals are very friendly if you demonstrate a willingness to do more than road hunt. Some of the locals don't appreciate their own hypocrisy in making a living off of the tourists/hunters who visit but also feel like you are trying to kill "their" moose, even though they apparently (I can't figure out the subsistence rules) can drive anywhere they want and hunt with a rifle while we were restricted to driving no more than 1/4 mile from the highway and can only use archery equipment. I guess the fact that it's all BLM land doesn't factor into it for them either.

-Welcome to any tourism based economy lol... the amount of griping and snipping that goes on in any CO ski towns towards tourists, is also hilariously hypocritical. I experienced the same thing running around Ketchikan waiting for my bush flight, the similarities between Ketchikan and Vail were eerily... I'm sure Jamaica has got the same thing going.

Lots of good info in here, a pretty cool experience it seems.

Couple questions if you don't mind, how far up the road did you go? Did you consider tagging down on a bear, assuming you didn't see any caribou? How far off the road did you get, max?

Nice write up! There’s never a bad time to hunt moose. I wouldn’t recommend that unit to a non res who doesn’t have a lot of moose hunting experience. There’s a lot of moose in that unit, but they are not everywhere If that makes sense.

Thanks for sharing!

Couple questions if you don't mind, how far up the road did you go? Did you consider tagging down on a bear, assuming you didn't see any caribou? How far off the road did you get, max?

We hunted from Coldfoot to just before the road climbs up to the Chandalar Shelf. Our unit went all the way to Atigun Pass, and just for the heck of it we drove over the pass to the lakes you see in the last pic, which is just before the endless tundra.

You have to have a guide to hunt bear. We were DIY.

Several hunters said the caribou were another 80 miles or so up the highway and we didn't feel like driving that far. We were also turned off by the reports that it's a lot of driving up and down the highway looking for bou herds and then taking 80+ yard shots.

There are several valleys that have old and/or active mining access roads. We walked a few of those 2-3 miles from the highway. Other than that, we probably only got a half mile or so from the mining roads or the highway to get to good glassing spots or walk along the stream beds - we were keenly aware that carrying the quarters, ribs, head more than a half mile through the tussocks would possibly ruin our trip.

We hunted from Coldfoot to just before the road climbs up to the Chandalar Shelf. Our unit went all the way to Atigun Pass, and just for the heck of it we drove over the pass to the lakes you see in the last pic, which is just before the endless tundra.

You have to have a guide to hunt bear. We were DIY.

Several hunters said the caribou were another 80 miles or so up the highway and we didn't feel like driving that far. We were also turned off by the reports that it's a lot of driving up and down the highway looking for bou herds and then taking 80+ yard shots.

There are several valleys that have old and/or active mining access roads. We walked a few of those 2-3 miles from the highway. Other than that, we probably only got a half mile or so from the mining roads or the highway to get to good glassing spots or walk along the stream beds - we were keenly aware that carrying the quarters, ribs, head more than a half mile through the tussocks would possibly ruin our trip.

Gotcha, I was thinking black bear. Can totally see how the regs make this hunt very challenging. What about your bow hunters Ed? Did you do the course in CO?

Remarkable how great your trip sounds! The second picture with glacial silt waters and changing leaves, makes my heart ache... Alaska is the most amazing place in my experience. I'm glad you had a chance to see it!!!!
That was the only creek we saw with that blue colored silt. That pic is about 20 feet from where we had our tent set up - it was gorgeous. The ranger at the visitor center said it is from some calcium deposit that the creek runs through, not glaciers, but I think the effect is the same. We were glad we got to do it, and considering that we didn't have to pay to ship meat and antlers back, it only cost us about $2k each, which is pretty affordable compared to a lot of other ways to go hunting in AK.

Gotcha, I was thinking black bear. Can totally see how the regs make this hunt very challenging. What about your bow hunters Ed? Did you do the course in CO?
That's the thing, it sounds like in most years it is not super challenging - pretty much road hunting (on foot for non-res, by car for locals). We were just there at the wrong time (or maybe year). Yes, took the course in CO.

That campsite alone makes it all worth the trip! Can't wait to do something like that someday.

This made me chuckle as I have a cousin who moved to Alaska 3-4 years ago. I was on the phone with him the other day and he was saying how much he hates tourists and couldn't figure out why they can't just hunt and fish where they live. He had an anger in his voice that was a little uncomfortable for me since I have a moose hunt booked for 2020. He said in "tourist season" he sees nonstop RVs and vehicles everywhere and can't stand it. It's pretty ironic considering he just moved there a few years back and he doesn't exactly put a lot of time and effort into hunting or fishing. I'm sure he's pretty influenced from the locals he's become friends with...

The next time it comes up I will come up with a way to politely tell him that I think he's mad for all the wrong reasons and that public lands are such an amazing resource that everybody can enjoy. Don't get mad at somebody who is taking advantage of a resource that you're really not...

I dunno, I get it... but it definitely rubbed me the wrong way. Either way he's a good guy and I think someday he'll realize he's wrong.

...I think someday he'll realize he's wrong.

I was nodding my head right up until the last few words. LOL OK, some people do change, but I doubt being in AK longer will improve his outlook.

Either way, I want to reiterate that it was a only a few people that felt that way. The vast majority of Alaskans we met were just as friendly and welcoming as anywhere else you might go. And there was almost zero anti-hunting sentiment - seems everyone hunts or just accepts it as part of life.

Of course, there was the exception, a lady at the University of Alaska Museum of the North - we had a few hours to kill before our flights left. She was visiting from CA (of course, right?) and was really chatty until I mentioned that we saw a lynx while we were moose hunting. You could just see a switch went off in her head. She said the usual, "Well, as long as you eat it..." kind of stuff. I wish I was quicker on my feet - I would have said, "Yea, we donated $1000 each to the management of Alaskan wildlife, what have you contributed lately?"

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back