Caribou Gear Tarp

Alaska Moose Tag Questions

Kiwi

After such a great trip to Wyoming I'm looking at a moose trip to Alaska. I have started my research and will keep looking at the best areas, logistics etc but just wanted to validate a couple of points before I get too carried away.

1. Good moose tags are available as both draw and OTC for non-resident aliens (like me).
2. There isn't a lot of benefit to a draw tag compared to an OTC tag. An OTC would be my preference as it would allow more flexibility.
3. The booking of an air taxi is key to get into the good OTC areas during the rut.
4. Is it realistic to hunt moose and bear on the same trip?
5. No OTC tags require you to remove the top of the antlers.

As always if you want info on OYO public land hunting in New Zealand just ask.

Thanks.

Kiwi,
A few comments, it may be a bit cryptic...

1. Yes. Most draw tags outside metro areas are set to limit pressure from NR. Big moose are found pretty much everywhere, some have more big bulls than others on average, some have more bulls. Not really any "trophy" moose tags in the state, but there are areas that tend to produce a bit bigger bulls than others. The WR moose was shot within an hour flight of Anchorage.

2. No real benefit for the draw as a NR, other than less NR/guide pressure. Most resident drawings are limited to metro areas, for the most part, with exception of a few interior areas which are also OTC but require antler destruction. Lots of residents still hunt the areas and just cut the top of the antler off (its any bull). Locals are after meat, if its brown its down, the rack is usually left along the river.

3. Most of the better air taxies are booked a year or more out. You can usually find a ride into the hills into June/July, but you won't be in a good spot and doubtful that you'll be alone.

4. Yes, depends on type and location though.

5. I don't believe there are any NR OTC areas that require antler destruction.

After all this...keep in mind that a non-resident alien (non US citizen) must be accompanied by a licensed guide for all big game including moose...

Your points are correct. Unless you want to hunt a specific area that is open to a draw hunt only, there really is no advantage to hunting a draw unit over the many units open to a harvest ticket (i.e. OTC). Accessing many of those Koyokuk draw areas requires one really long boat ride as use of planes is prohibited. Yes, they shoot some big moose in the Koyokuk but access logistics make it difficult, especially for a non-resident.

Any part of the state with good moose hunting open to harvest tickets will have a good air taxi. Some of the well-known air taxis book full a year or two in advance. I've used five different air taxis in Alaska, four I'd recommend to anyone. Only one required me to book far in advance.

You can hunt moose and bear (assuming you mean unguided black bear?) on the same hunt. It's realistic, but I'd suggest focusing primarily on moose and considering bear a secondary option. As a non-resident alien you're looking at thousands of dollars for the total cost of such a trip, the few extra hundred for a black bear tag won't make or break the trip budget. Depending on which area you select for moose hunting, there may be lots of black bears around or none. Black bear are widespread in AK but they're not everywhere that you'll find moose.

I'm not aware of any harvest ticket hunts that require you to cut the antlers. I think that's only on a select few registration hunts where antler destruction is required.

Edit: Bambi beat me to the response.

Excellent info, thanks Bambistew and Kaitum. At this stage that all sounds positive. I'll keep researching and see where I end up.

When I have time,I'll give you a bunch of imfo on my moose hunt and who I used for flights.There were a lot of moose in my area 21B.Joe Shuster will fly you and pick you up at predetermined schedule.Its a draw tag with 100% success in drawing.I would recommend a float trip into his areas.I did a lake hunt and saw 7 bulls and a bunch of cows.Only 2 of the bulls were legal size and one of those is in my freezer.You could pick a lake in the zone and do as I did or do a float back into town of Galena.I could give you imfo on who to rent rafts from as well.Decent odds at seeing bear as well.40 mile is another good option and they do have one area of any bull as well.Judging amoose at 50" is a little scary as fines are BIG.Mine was almost 54" and I spent a lot of time studying moose before I went.It was an interesting hunt but nothing I feel I need to do again,I'll be back chasing elk again next year.Alaska is always a truly wild experience though and I highly recommend everyone trying a hunt there.A caribou hunt is a lot of fun too.When I go back next year, it will be for blacktails in August.To me, that's a super fun hunt in extreme places.Since your coming from so far,I recommend you do a blacktail in SE ak and then head north for moose hunt and enjoy all the state offers

Thanks mixedbag, great info. I'll check out the places you mentioned and also the blacktail option.

Last edited:
Non us citizen VS us nonresident alaskan

All non us residents require a guide to hunt any big game animal in AK.
A nonresident Of AK that is a USA resident ONLY has to have a guide for brown/grizzly bear, Dalls sheep, and mt goat or hunt with a relative within second degree of kindred.

That's all folks.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back