alaska,moose black bear hunt

Alaska has a lot less roads than down here, so those rigs make it possible to get into some places. Its harder than flying in and flying out, I"m thinking. If you want to walk in from the lower 48, it will probably take more than a month.

People's criticisms are sometimes (often for some in this thread) very narrow minded and quite unthinking. That's my 2 cents.

Good luck on the hunt halftrack and whoever else goes!

No, Miller, I'm referring to the gas/oil/minerals that are the property of the citizens of the State of Alaska.

OK.

Not sure how many acres of minerals are owned by the citizens of AK, but since BLM manages oil and gas activities on 225,000,000 on-shore acres in Alaska I would surmise the majority of the O&G (acres) belongs to the Federal Government.

Let me know if I am not understanding the ownership of minerals in AK.

As mtmiller said, of AK's 365 million acres, the mineral rights of 237 million acres are federal, meaning they belong to ALL U.S. citizens, not just Alaskans. You can do what you want with the portion of the othe 128 million acres that the state owns. But I have as say in how the majority of the mineral rights in your state are managed.

I don't know, Jose, why does anyone in any state want to develop its resources? ....................... Its a resource that we have up here. It is developed for the good of the nation, and, yes, the people of Alaska.

So, if "anyone" wants to develop the resources it should happen? What if "anyone" does not want to develop the resources, but instead, wants to have productive and healthy ecosystems that provide value for other than the extraction industries and the Bud Light distriubtors?

Where in the "Welcome To Alaska" manual is each resident guaranteed a job from Oil Companies?

Alaska has a deal, at least in the coastal plain, where Alaska will receive 90% of the federal oil royalties. So I was incorrect in saying that we "own" that oil/gas. As to how much of the oil/gas development is Alaska's. I can tell you that the oil fields in and around Prudhoe Bay are state and Native owned, not federal.

I hope I am not hijacking this thread, but the thing that irks people up here the most is that the coastal plain was set aside for oil and gas development by the federal government. The other 92% of ANWR has/is been off limits to any kind of development. That 8% was set aside for this very thing. IMO, they probably shouldn't have designated that 8% as part of ANWR; it would have saved a lot of confusion.

Jose, I never said that Alaskans are guaranteed a job in the oil fields. We have many, many industries/resources up here. All of which are important. You are singling out one industry. Should we all just live off the land and sit around the fire singing Kumbaya? You can't possibly think that states shouldn't encourage/develop industries/resources in their states, do you? By your logic, the farmers in the midwest are not allowed to have an opinion on farming issues because their judgement is clouded by their job. I never denied that Alaskans have a stake in oil/gas development. Of course there is some bias. That doesn't mean that we can't be reasonable and have a valid opinion. My opinion is no less valid because it is the opposite of yours.

As mtmiller said, of AK's 365 million acres, the mineral rights of 237 million acres are federal, meaning they belong to ALL U.S. citizens, not just Alaskans. You can do what you want with the portion of the othe 128 million acres that the state owns. But I have as say in how the majority of the mineral rights in your state are managed.
Don't you think it should be an informed decision, though? If all you are going by is the propaganda being thrown around by the lawyers, it makes it difficult to make a rational decision. I'm not saying you, personally, Oak. You may have a very good grasp of the situation, in which case, I have to respect your opinion.

However, going back to my original point, the vast majority of Americans have never been to Alaska or have the slightest clue as to how things are up here. I just love when the environmental groups show a picture of a cute caribou by a lake standing in front of Denali. Too bad Denali and that lake are 500 miles from the coastal plain and it looks nothing like that. But most people just go along with what they are being shown and told. Just watch, all those fence-straddling "environmentalists" will be screaming to open it up once oil gets to $200/bbl.

Don't you think it should be an informed decision, though? If all you are going by is the propaganda being thrown around by the lawyers, it makes it difficult to make a rational decision. I'm not saying you, personally, Oak. You may have a very good grasp of the situation, in which case, I have to respect your opinion.
One of the perks of being an American citizen, even stupid people can participate in decision making process.:D

Yep, you don't have to be smart to participate, just smart enough TO participate. ;)

I understand how it might suck for Alaskans if they don't get their way in how the federal minerals are managed. The same thing happens here. Look at the Roan Plateau issue and how many of the local communities, hunting and fishing organizations, outfitters, county commissions, etc, have come out against drilling on top of the Roan. Guess what? It's still going to be drilled. It's in these peoples' back yards and they don't want it, but they will get it. That's just the way the system works.

Problem I see is that most of the lower 48er's think of Alaska as THE last wild place in the USA and don't want to see it developed. IMO they need to stick to business close to home and let Alaskan's take care of Alaska. We don't want to see this place ruined by development anymore than they do but we can develop it in a responsible way. Hopefully Sara will get her head out of her ass and get this oil issue solved and get the gas pipeline started.

Jose, I never said that Alaskans are guaranteed a job in the oil fields. We have many, many industries/resources up here. .......... You can't possibly think that states shouldn't encourage/develop industries/resources in their states, do you? By your logic, the farmers in the midwest are not allowed to have an opinion on farming issues because their judgement is clouded by their job. I never denied that Alaskans have a stake in oil/gas development. Of course there is some bias. That doesn't mean that we can't be reasonable and have a valid opinion. My opinion is no less valid because it is the opposite of yours.

I concede that I don't have any influence over what farmers in the mid-West do on their private, deeded land. But, I have helped fight the battles on MY PUBLIC LANDS where it relates to Welfare Ranchers over grazing cattle on MY PUBLIC LANDS. And I can assure you, it is because there are people out there that do not have a financial incentive to overgraze the land that we are now getting better range management and higher quality public lands, one allottment at a time.

What kind of range management would we have if we only listened to Welfare Ranchers and local rednecks???? Do you think that is how we should manage public lands?

Problem I see is that most of the lower 48er's think of Alaska as THE last wild place in the USA and don't want to see it developed.
Pretty broad brush you are painting with. Also seeing lots of bullshit about us vs. the lower-48. As long as we are discussing the managment of Federal public land, the public has a voice in the process. Doesn't matter if they are from the swamps of Florida or the Hi-Line of Montana. I am in support of the extraction of oil and gas if it can be done in a responsible way that doesn't fug up the environment. Looks like you and I are on the same page on this one and your opinion is no more significant than my Montana opinion.
IMO they need to stick to business close to home and let Alaskan's take care of Alaska.
I will agree to disagree. As long as it is public land, belonging to all citizens of the United States, it is my business and a political boundary won't change that.

Carry on.

So Jose, you think that all locals are rednecks and can't make reasonable or responsible decisions?? I'm glad that you got involved in range management. I'm assuming this was in an area you either lived near and/or had some knowledge of. I thank you for getting involved in a local issue that you had experience with. Like I have been saying, the problem lies with the uninformed and highly emotional responses to development in Alaska. I think that if people would become a little more informed, they would see that we are not trying to destroy Alaska so our PFD will be a few more dollars.

Pretty broad brush you are painting with. Also seeing lots of bullshit about us vs. the lower-48. As long as we are discussing the managment of Federal public land, the public has a voice in the process. Doesn't matter if they are from the swamps of Florida or the Hi-Line of Montana. I am in support of the extraction of oil and gas if it can be done in a responsible way that doesn't fug up the environment. Looks like you and I are on the same page on this one and your opinion is no more significant than my Montana opinion.

I will agree to disagree. As long as it is public land, belonging to all citizens of the United States, it is my business and a political boundary won't change that.

Carry on.
I'm not painting anything, that's my opinion and like you, I am entitled to it. It's not all public land belonging to all citizens of the USA, a good portion of it is state and thats what I am referring too so yes, my opinion is more significant than yours in that regard.

Problem I see is that most of the lower 48er's think of Alaska as THE last wild place in the USA and don't want to see it developed. IMO they need to stick to business close to home and let Alaskan's take care of Alaska.

Slow the bus down! Don't forget that you are one of those "48ers". Don't let that alaskan drivers license fool ya, you were born a "48er" and will die a "48'er".

So when you become a resident up there where do you buy the pedestal so that you can look down at everyone else? I heard all you have to do is live up there a year to get the pedestal. Hell down here in the "48" you have to do something more than just live in a place for a year to get a pedestal....

I'm not painting anything, that's my opinion and like you, I am entitled to it. It's not all public land belonging to all citizens of the USA, a good portion of it is state and thats what I am referring too so yes, my opinion is more significant than yours in that regard.

Sorry about that, I should have assumed you were referring to State land.:rolleyes: You are correct, I will keep my nose out of what you do on those 90 million acres. As for issues on the other 60% of Alaska, I will keep my options open.;)

As long as it is public land, belonging to all citizens of the United States, it is my business and a political boundary won't change that.
Yeppers, 'tis the way it is and it ain't changing. So, since that's a moot point to argue, why don't we try something that can be changed...like travel designations. ;)

Concerning the development (and use) of any state, territory, or lands there is much to be learned by looking to the past. EVERY state in the Union was once a frontier...if you want to have a hand in the future; learn all you can from the past.

"It is not what we have that will make us a great nation; it is the way in which we use it." - T.R. 1886

That's my story and I'm sticking to, OK I'll shut up now!

This has the makings of turning into a thread about whether or not head shots are acceptabe with archery equipment!!! What'd ya think JB (now there's a blast from a different time and a differnt life huh!!!?????!!!!)

Slow the bus down! Don't forget that you are one of those "48ers". Don't let that alaskan drivers license fool ya, you were born a "48er" and will die a "48'er".

So when you become a resident up there where do you buy the pedestal so that you can look down at everyone else? I heard all you have to do is live up there a year to get the pedestal. Hell down here in the "48" you have to do something more than just live in a place for a year to get a pedestal....
I had no control over where I was born but Alaska is my home, has been for 15 years and will be until I kick. Don't need a pedestal to look down on clueless twits like you, you do a good enough job on your own to make yourself look like an idiot. Please, continue to prove my point......;)

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuckyDraw
Back