Alaska Moose AND Caribou 2018

Timberhawk

Well, I had a diy Alaska moose trip planned in 2018. My buddy (Alaska resident) who is organizing the trip recommended I put in for a caribou tag. I was all about potentially turning it into a multi-species hunt, but was hesitant to throw down the cost of a non-res hunting license ($165 if I remember right) for what I found out was a roughly 2% chance at a tag. I was apparently in the mood to throw some money out the window, so I went for it. I got the email today letting me know that I officially have to quit whining about never beating long odds. I can't win a game of scissors/rock/paper to save my life, but somehow beat the 2% chance at at tag. PUMPED!

It would be awesome to double up, but the primary species will be moose. I connected on a representative caribou on a north slope hunt with my dad back in 2014, despite very low caribou migration at the time. I'd love to up the caribou size a bit, but even a 50.1" bull moose would be higher on my list than a 375" caribou at the moment. Regardless of the number of tags filled, it will be an unforgettable experience.

Please hunt that bou tag... best one in the state for giant bulls, you will likely never get to hunt it again. There is a very real chance at a B&C class bull. You can shoot 375 bulls on OTC units. ;)

Congrats on the tag!

Last edited:
I'm counting on around 10+ days of hunting at the moment. Doubling up would be a push, but not out of the question. There are four other guys in camp and I'm the only one with a caribou tag. We'll see how many moose tags get filled and what time that leaves for the caribou.

Doubling up sounds like a lot of work.

Please hunt that bou tag... best one in the state for giant bulls, you will likely never get to hunt it again. There is a very real chance at a B&C class bull. You can shoot 375 bulls on OTC units. ;)

Congrats on the tag!
I’m in his camp. You will probably never hold that caribou tag again. Moose tags are not a dime a dozen but that is a primo caribou tag. With that many hunters in camp I would say you will probably get a caribou. Someone will see a monster and convince you to hunt it. Really, I hope you double up and take lots of pics. The hunt of a lifetime should be well documented.

I've gotten quite a few pm's and insight from a number of members - thank you. It sounds like I might want to focus on my "bonus" tag a bit more than I anticipated.

We're going to be flying in to our hunting spot, so weight is something we have to watch closely. I've switched over to havalon knives for midwest whitetail simply because they are so handy. I've broken down a caribou before with one and didn't feel the need for a stouter blade, but I have no experience with moose. Would a havalon do the job or am I asking too much with the thicker hide/tendons/etc?

Good luck on the hunt. Id suggest taking the advice on the 'bout tag. I've been surprised by the draws before on hard to draw tags. Those opportunities don't come along often so maximize it if possible. I wasn't able to as much last year on a good elk tag. Had a great time but left with too many what ifs dancing around in my feeble brain.

Nice! That is a great tag! I went 0-5 on Draws this yr. My BIL drew DC590 and I didn't, so I'll be flying in with him to the Talkeetnas as a sherpa and spending $1,500 on a grizz tag. I did Moose & Caribou successfully on the same hunt in 2014, but that was in the Brooks Range. We hunted 9 days and needed every single one of them. Our group Killed (6) bou and a moose on that hunt. Me being the lucky guy with the Moose/Bou combo:) We took along a battery sawzall for cutting rib-cages and leg bones. Invaluable. Rest was done with the Outdoor edge interchangeable blade knives.

Last edited:
Well, I haven’t kept this thread updated very well, but...I’m flying out tomorrow. Super pumped!

The first group that was out there (host’s family) said the moose rut is just kicking into gear. They had moose around them most days.

They also said the caribou were all over a week ago, but a recent cold front moved them out. I assume that pushes them to lower elevations?

Good luck! Soak it up for all of us behind the computer right now and take lots of notes and pictures to share! ;)

They also said the caribou were all over a week ago, but a recent cold front moved them out. I assume that pushes them to lower elevations?

Shedding their velvet, and starting to look for cows. Like deer, they will be on the move and can show up anywhere. The cows tend to be lower on the mountain, but the bulls can show up anywhere. A hard horned, white mained monster bull is one of the, if not the most striking trophy in NA, as far as I'm concerned. Good times to be in the woods with a bou tag for sure.

Good luck!

Back