Alaska Mental Health Trust?

JosiahJoiner

Came across this today while doing a little scouting around, can someone enlighten me? On ONX It just blended into the state land. Visited their website but not a whole lot of info there. Is it possible to get access or is it a waste of time? What is it exactly? I’m new to Alaska. D40DA4DC-8742-4037-A91A-1DF0C87BB107.png

If its posted its off limits. There isn't a lot of trust land, but I would say maybe half is open for use. The MHT lands are different from State lands which are open and have little to no restrictions.

If its posted its off limits. There isn't a lot of trust land, but I would say maybe half is open for use. The MHT lands are different from State lands which are open and have little to no restrictions.

Ok thanks, go figure the one place I had marked in onX to check out today would be posted. From what I’ve read they use revenue from the properties that they own or have leased for mines or timber sales etc... to benefit people with mental health issues? Sound about right? Also seen on their website where they plan on implementing a permit system for recreational use in the $250-$500 range.

The money they make offsets the costs of their program. Yes mining, timber, gravel pits (sell back to the DOT) etc all pay the bills, they also sell the lands occasionally. Part of Fort Knox is on MHT land and they own the mineral rights. The MHT land isn't really that much of the total State owned land, maybe 200,000 acres? Its quite small compared to the rest of the State owned land... The state owns about 105 million acres, which is about 2-5x as much public land as any state in the West. There is plenty of places to go outside MHT land, you have to actually work at finding it, hahaha.

I’m not afraid of working to find spots to go, I was just more or less curious about the program and if it was something people supported. I hadn’t ran into anything like this in the lower 48. Like you said Alaska is plenty big enough state to find other places to go. Thanks for the information. :cool:

The MHT is now wanting to charge a $500 fee for ATV's to access their land. I do know some popular atving sports are on MHT lands. I am all for paying my part, but $500 a year?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back