Alaska Fishing

jzeck2

Looking at going to Alaska next summer on a fishing trip, mostly would like to do some Halibut, Rock Fish, and Salmon Fishing. Any advice such as time to go, where, and with whom (outfitter)?

I like Resurrection Bay (out of Seward) better than Cook Inlet (Homer, Deep Creek, etc) as Resurrection gives you the option to catch coho, rock fish, and ling cod in addition to halibut. Halibut limits are getting more restrictive up here, so if I were spending the money to go on such a trip I'd like the ability to catch other species if the halibut aren't biting or you catch your limit early.

Fish mid to late July. Ling cod will be in season then and the coho will be running.

The charter boat I always used out of Seward stopped chartering last year, so can't offer any recommendations there.

Good luck!

Kodiak...Gary Salter.

Seward: several hour boat ride, a few hours fishing

Kodiak: a few minute boat ride and several hours of fishing.

Kodiak...Gary Salter.

Seward: several hour boat ride, a few hours fishing

Kodiak: a few minute boat ride and several hours of fishing.

Definitely a downside of Seward, longer boat ride.

Kodiak is tough to beat, one spot I didn't make time to fish that I should have.

Great information thus far. Already started looking into to Seward, Kodiak and Ketchikan, even have some information on a do it yourself boat rental. Think I'm reserving that for a possible hunting trip.

Wondering now about going with a lodge (all inclusive) or just a charter and figure out lodging and food. Kind of like the looks and remoteness of some of the lodges but they do come at a bit of a price. Would like to take the wife and some friends so the ladies may be more willing to accept a little more luxury.

Any thoughts?

Adventure Alaska out of Thorne Bay, Prince of Wales Island. Jason runs a great operation and outfits you with all you need. There are even charters right near your lodging where you can head out for a day of halibut fishing. Hunting isn't bad there either.

Hope you don't mind Nick?

Here's a bear a friend of mine shot last September aslo.

Jason does run a great place, heck of a value for all you get. I did put her right back in, but the silver, we ate it!

Your one heck of a cook and sportsman buddy! Good huntin' & fishin'

Alaska Marine Guides out of Valdez,

Attachments

• Alaska Trip 2015 066.jpg
    Alaska Trip 2015 066.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 438
  • Alaska Trip 2015 048.jpg
    Alaska Trip 2015 048.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 442
  • Alaska Trip 2015 002.jpg
    Alaska Trip 2015 002.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 433
Valdez & Prince of Wales

Checked out the two recommendations for Valdez and Prince of Wales both went to the top of the list. Valdez because of really love Prince William Sound and Prince of Wales because I would love to make two trips one for fishing and another for either Sitka Black Tail or Bear or maybe both, understanding that the Bear Tag is now a draw.

Where ever we end up going I'm certainly going to be checking out hunting possibilities.

Kingfisher Lodge in Craig gets my vote. Great people and you get to watch some beautiful women clean your fish...

I fished Sitka for many years. The scenery is excellent and the fishing is great. The natives run the largest king and silver hatcheries in the state so always good for salmon. Halibut and ling cod are good. Plenty of deer but I have never hunted there.

Thanks, Big 28 , We all caught our limit of pink salmon the evening before the halibut charter,and upon our return to port we had limits of black rockfish, yelloweyes, and halibut, with several nice ling cod. Our biggest halibut was right at 100 lbs. After all of the fish was proccessed and frozen we ended up with 353 lbs of fish to bring home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back