MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Alaska Elk Caliber?

TBinKodiak

OK First post in the elk section. I drew a bull elk tag for Raspberry Island (between Kodiak and Afognak Island) for October. I have a 338 with 225 gr partitions that I'm pretty confident with out to about 250 yards, it weighs 9lbs loaded. Also have a 300wsm with 180 gr power points that I'm confident with out to about 300 possibly 350 for a larger animal like an elk, it weighs 7lbs loaded. A little background:
I've read these bulls are the largest bodied elk in north america and can reach weights of 1400 pounds. About the size of a mid sized moose. I hunt deer all the time with the 300 and I'm confident in its capabilities with the local brown bears should it come to that. So that is not a determining factor. I have also tried 180 gr partitions with the short mag but the gun doesn't like them and I would have to limit myself to about 200-250 yards with it. Only two options for 300 short mag shells on the island are the 180 gr partitions or power points. The terrain is mountainous with spruce and thick alder patches, but enough open places to have to stretch the barrel.
My question is this. I love the 300 for its weight and accuracy but I am concerned with the light skinned bullet on an animal this size. Should I man up and haul the 338 or is the 300 enough gun for a bull Roosevelt?

TB

If you are limited to only those bullet choices, then I would definitely go with the 338. I sure wouldn't use a Power Point on an elk of that size, and personally I don't think the 180 Partition would be all that great either, especially if your gun doesn't shoot it well. Now that 338 with the 225 Partition would have quite a bit more thump to it, and that is what I would want in that type of terrain and with that size animal. If you could get a hold of 250 grain Partitions that would be even better.

I would go with the 338 too. The 300 would do the job, but the bigger piece of lead would be better for that situation.

Having used both calibers on Montana elk,wich were no where near the bodies size you are talking(600 lbs the biggest)I would go with the .338 win Mag.
Now my question to you is why is your effective range ower on the .338?
I know the .338 win Mag can strech out past 400 and handle elk well,Ive done it.
The other choice is 210's out of the .338 they work well on elk.

I have used the power points on elk out of my own 300 wsm and did not like the results,they worked but the penetration wasn't there either,but then again it was far stretch.
I like my 300 Win Mag with 200 gr Partions for elk to wich the 300 wsm don't have the neck lenght to get the same velocity.
So after my ramlings
again go with the .338 Win Mag.
BBJ

BBJ,

I basically know I could put one in the boiler room at 350 with the gun but I always knock 100 yards off just incase I pull the first shot, bump a branch, etc. That way I'm still within my effective range for the follow up should I wound it. I know its odd, but that's just me I'm a statistics man.
I don't flinch with the gun but if I shoot 10 rounds at the range my shoulder is black and blue the next day. Which basically means I don't shoot it as much as I shoot the short mag.
I am pretty sure I'm taking the 338, but just wanted to see if anyone thought the 300wsm was a heavy enough caliber.

Thanks for the feedback

TB,
Do you handload,if you do try the 180 gr barnes-X in the 300 wsm,they work realy well out of my 300 WSM.But some rifles are very touchy when shooting barnes bullets.

BBJ

The 300WSM will work fine...........just not with power points. If you really like the 300WSM that much better, you might try ordering some ammo from Cabelas or other mail-order place. Federal makes cartridges in 300WSM with Barnes 165gr TSX and 180 gr TSX.........(I'd be inclined to go w/165 TSX instead of the 180's). The TSX shine when pushed as fast as possible......and the 165 TSX would be fine for Roosevelt elk. The price for a box is close to $50 though.

TB what rifle are you MOST comfortable with??? Then shoot that one..Which ever round shoots best out of the rifle and that you are comfortable with,, than zero and hunt with that combo..Comfort, and confidence in your equipment will be the key to killing your bull..

We hunt Roosevelt elk down here on the Olympic coast just about any .30 cal. riflewere the shots are any place between point blank to out over 400 yards...

The elk might be bigger in Alaska,, but down here I have never seen a bull that would go close to 1400 pound,,and thats the including the park bulls too..

Hunterman(Tony)

Get some of Winchester's new XP3 bullets for the 300wsm (if possible). Sportsmans warehouse down the street has them-I would send them for you if you need. I don't like the power points either but the 300wsm is enough gun. The XP3 bullets are pretty impressive with penetration.

Big problem for me is I can't order ammo. Or legally have it shipped to me, because it would have to be flown in. I did have one of the sports shops order me 180gr accubonds a couple years ago, but it took 4 months to get them. By that time hunting season was over and they went out of business the following spring.
I was wrong on the weight. Fish and Game states that they can reach 1300lbs, not 1400. http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/notebook/biggame/elk.php
Although I saw a picture of one hoisted up on a fishing boat once that looked like an angus bull with a 6x6 rack. I hunted Afognak with my father a couple years back and we saw a 5x5 bull. He's been out west hunting elk about 16 times and when he saw that pig he said it looked like a horse with horns. BTW I took the 338 that time, just never got to use it.

TB you answered your own question in your post. Take your 338. Bigger bullet, better penetration and then there are the bears.
I am headed to Kodiak in in November. Would love to take my cutom 7mm08 as it weighs under 7 lbs loaded and shoots VERY small groups. Dropped a 250 pound plus muler deer last year with one shot at close to 300 yards.
But I'll take my 9 pound 300 wthby for "the just in case situations".
How is the outlook for your elk hunt? I heard the succes rates were really poor last year. Good luck and have fun . A mature bull elk is a pretty impressive animal!!.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back