Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Alaska Caribou - Non Resident Alien

Eprevost_tec

Hello all,

I have been dreaming of heading to Alaska for a DIY caribou hunt for some time. I am fully aware of the logistic challenges, tough country and cost for this type of trip. Despite all of the challenges, I cant shake the desire. The country is so beautiful and the opportunity to hunt caribou in Alaska is just a dream that I must fulfill before I cant.

Unfortunately, as a Canadian, I need to hire a guide for this type of trip. The cost for fully guided trips almost triple the DIY cost, and I dont need a full babysitter to cook and setup everything for me. Its a disappointing reality that I am coming to terms with. There are some great air charter services that I have researched, and talked too that would bring me to the trip of a lifetime, but non have guide recommendations. They suggest that if I am looking for a guide, to contact some of the full service guiding services, something that I dont want.

Are there any other Canadian on the forum that have suggestions, or does anyone have some guidance for me on what I could do to fulfill the guide requirement for non-resident alien hunters such as myself.

Thanks
Eric

Why not hunt unguided in Canada? What specifically are you looking for in an Alaska experience? I'm assuming it's not just to kill an animal.

As an alien, you have to be guided, period. The guide has to be in the field with you at all times, and has to be within 200 yard(?) at all times. What level of service, could be dependent on a lot of things. Do you know any guides in Alaska?

Your best bet, if you wanted to save some money, is to get in touch with some of the guides in the area you wish to hunt, and ask them to contact your for any cancelation hunts. Usually they will be discounted. If you have anything to offer in trade, the cost could be negotiated, etc. You might be able to get in on a Haul Road bowhunt for a lot less money, since the logistics are pretty easy, and an outfitter wouldn't need to supply much besides the guide.

If you are a resident of the Yukon, I believe you can purchase your hunting license at a discounted rate, but that's about the only perk that a Canadian gets in Alaska.

If you know where you want to hunt, look up the Guide Use Area Map, and corresponding registered guides in the area and contact them.

Thanks Gents. The issue in Canada is that non residents of Canadian provinces generally still need a guide. Its a revenue generating thing for the local economies. So for the Yukon and North West Terriroties, as a Canadian, I still need a guide.

More research to do on my end I guess. Thanks.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back