Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Alaska Blackies - Act IV

I'm used to unfortunate mishaps equipment-wise sometime each year while hunting/fishing. Bummer about the inflatable --- sure glad you were able to get a replacement motor early-on to salvage your hunt!

Like other guys have already stated, this looks to be one of your all-time best outings --- can't wait for air time!

Love reading the story Randy! Can I ask what it means for a sow to be heavily rubbed? Thanks! --Nicole (from ZPZ)

Oh! Guessing it means she's in heat and marking by the rest of the post.

I read that you lost some of what you wrote once or twice--here's a tip: Write in Google docs--it'll save automatically as you're writing--then copy/paste into whatever place you were writing for. It's saved me worlds of angst for longer pieces and it keeps all your writing organized and in one place. Takes a bit to get used to but saves a lot of re-writing time.

Nicole - As to rubbed, it means the bear is transitioning from a winter hide to a summer hide, shedding the old shaggy/itchy stuff by rubbing it off. In the week(s) it takes them to rub, they have a sleek black hide down the top of their backs, but their rump, legs, and sides look like you took big batches of fur and pulled it off. It also has more of a reddish tinge of color, making them a very undesirable hide.

Add that to the idea that sows are off limits when we are hunting, and a heavily rubbed sow is even more off limits.

Yeah, I usually do my work in Word of Google, but my laptop was giving me fits about updating my Office 365, so I thought I could get it finished directly here on Hunt Talk. Oh well, just another reminder of how I should do it.

Oh shoot! Updates are a bugger, thanks for the clarification on the rubbed aspect, looks like I was off the mark on both counts :)

The story is fantastic, looking forward to reading more. Glad to hear that Alaska was fruitful for your group, that scar-faced bear is a dandy, and that blacktail skull is epic.

Just reviewed the draft of this episode. It is so much fun. I think you will like it. Reminds me of a couple things. First, no matter how many struggles you have, keep in mind that you are here to have fun. We did that and it shows. Second, if you have good hunting partners, no matter how challenging the conditions or the hurdles in front of you, you will enjoy the time. Bart is just that guy.

This episode will premier on September 30th, two weeks from today.

I'm not a bear hunter but I found myself consumed in this story. Very well written narrative, your really captured the adventure.

Tonight, 9:30 MST, Lawnboy's bear causes Fin to soil his britches. Adult language edited out to allow for family viewing.

12049563_1076849052325515_2664286406998939717_n.jpg

Thanks, Bart. Was a great time.

Spent a lot of time organizing gear for the upcoming May adventure for another Alaska black bear hunt. Decided to review this thread and take notes of what I might have overlooked from prior hunts.

For those of you who did not get to see this episode, it is now on YouTube at the link below.

IMG_0081.JPG

https://youtu.be/JUC-c0GUn5s?list=PLLdxutimd-JuTrZVtx0LAOtdC6hQvBNNJ

Thanks for watching.

Can't wait to be back up there in a few weeks. This time I drew the Kuiu tag. My first time back to that island since 2011. So many places to investigate on that big island, a week is not nearly enough time. I did buy my own boat motor for this trip to eliminate some of the outboard motor frustrations of past hunts.

Who's your guest hunter?

Solo, except for the camera guys. Seems everyone is too busy in December when it comes time to apply for the tag or they think they will be too busy in May when the season comes around. Oh well, too much fun to stay home on account of not having anyone to come with.

Have lots of fun and shoot a big one.

Didn't know possibly joining you was an option! Would have loved to gone up there for a big'un. Good luck!

Passed this bear the first morning. Wouldn't be much of an episode if I shot the first bear we saw. Can't believe I passed that thing. He came in to 54 yards and turned broadside to get a drink. Sheesh, when I saw the footage, I really felt stupid.

IMG_20160513_210657.jpg

I got to spend a month on Kuiu Island in college, working for the Forest Service. What a cool place. I have never seen so many black bears as what we saw there. I seem to recall some very tantalizing alpine that I never had time to venture into because we were too busy catching fish after work.

Good luck. Hope you shoot a big one.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back