Alaska Black bear. Locking Tag

LoveBirdDogs

Can anyone explain to me what a locking tag is? I was reading the regs on page 10 and it also seems to say you have to have a guide for black bear if your non resident is that true? Maybe I am confused about this. Maybe its the verbage that is confusing. "harvest ticket required only in units 1-7, 11-16, 19D, and 20" Either it is poorly written or it says any other units not listed you don't have to purchase a harvest tag. Or should it say only a harvest ticket is required for those units and a locking tag is not required. ??

Nonresidents do not need to have a guide for black bear. If you are hunting some of the draw areas, you don't need to draw the tag if you use an outfitter though.

Alaska Fish and Game does a better job explaining a locking tag than I can - http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting..terminology
That was the other thing I was looking at the adfg site and could not tell what zones were draws maybe I am missing something.

I have a tag in hand for 2021 but I do not have the locking tag. I wonder where/when that is coming?

I have a tag in hand for 2021 but I do not have the locking tag. I wonder where/when that is coming?

You have to buy it. You can order it online and they ship it to you for free. I would wait until closer to the hunt and buy it a couple weeks out. You can buy it once you get there as well at a vendor or a fish and game office. I've always done it online.

I'm seeing $450 for a black bear locking tag?

2020 Big Game Locking Tags

DescriptionPriceQuantity
Bison Tag $900.00

Brown/Grizzly Bear Tag $1,000.00

Black Bear Tag $450.00

Caribou Tag $650.00

Deer Tag $300.00

Elk Tag $600.00

Goat Tag $600.00

Moose Tag $800.00

Musk Ox Tag $2,200.00

Sheep Tag $850.00

Wolf Tag $60.00

Wolverine Tag $350.00

Alaska hunting license 101:

Step one: buy the annual hunting license that is valid for 365 days from purchase date.

Step two: get the required authorization to hunt the species and area. For non residents, this is in the form of either a draw hunt, registration hunt or harvest ticket. There are a few exceptions that don't require anything I believe still, haven't checked in awhile. These authorizations you are required to fill out upon a kill just like a typical tag.

Step three: purchase locking tags. These are required to phyically attach to an animal after killing it. The cool thing about Alaska is that a locking tag can go on any animal of equal or lesser value, ie a more expensive black bear locking tag can go on a deer.

I thought I paid that money when I put in for the drawing. I must be mistaken. Thanks for the note.

PS. I remember the days when you could hang a deer tag on a bear in Minnesota. Most bear kills were targets of opportunity to deer hunters (and deer were really scarce back then).

The way I read it, is in some units you have a harvest ticket and locking-tag you need both. Maybe I am reading it wrong. I miss spoke about the price I quoted the alien locking tag price.

1599004473542.png

Last edited:
The way I read it, is in some units you have a harvest ticket and locking-tag you need both. Maybe I am reading it wrong. I miss spoke about the price I quoted the alien locking tag price.

View attachment 152632
ALL nonresidents need the locking tag (with the exception of wolves in the noted units); it doesn't matter what unit you're hunting. Generally speaking, a harvest ticket is required in all units for both residents and nonresidents.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back