Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Airline restrictions

Ridge Runner

Are all airlines restrictions the same regarding weight and what you can bring along?? I just got back from a trip from the west coast and what a run around I got from United.:mad:

When I was checking in I was charged $15 bucks for my first check in bag and when they weighed it I was 3 lbs over my 50lb limit. Wanted to charge me $125.00 extrahump Easy fix stuff rain gear and wool blanket in backpack carry on.

Next when Returning I was bringing some meat back so asked about the extra check in bag as you are only allowed 1 at 50lbs and charged $15.00.

Second bag or ice chest is $25.00 and up to 50lbs. Great. I tell them I am bringing back venison and want to put some dry ice in the cooler. They say no problem just tape it closed.

Well when I go to check it in they ask if I have dry ice on it. I say yes. She say's ohhh how much? I say 3lbs. she says that will be $150.00.

Well I am loosing my cool at this point and her supervisor comes over and I tell him the story that I had called and asked about it prior and did just what they said to do. Not told it would be 150.00 but $25.00 for an extra bag at 50 lbs.

He tells me that dry ice is considered a hazardous material?? I tell him I have always done it this way and never had any other problem ever with it.

I tell him I am not paying it and I will take the dry ice out. I unwrap the ice chest and hand him the bag of ice and pay the $25.00 and check it all in.

The bitch is that I called before and did just what they told me to do then when I get there they try to get me for more money. Is It like this on all domestic airlines now?? Last year and prior years I have never had any issues. Just wondering if it is because of the economy??

With tight restrictions like that it sure is going to hamper some hunters that travel by airlines to hunting destinations and getting game back.

Might have to look into the train lines in the future.:(

RR, now you know why I drive to all my hunts. never any BS, and all my stuff that I pack gets there.

I flew Alaska earlier in the month. I didn't take any dry ice, as the meat was already frozen solid. First bag was free, second bag was $25, third bag was $100. One interesting thing about AA that I didn't know: If it's your third bag AND it's overweight, they only charge you the higher of the two fees, not both. So I could have packed my third bag heavy for no extra charge. One agent told me that all additional bags, from 3 to 6, are $100 each.

I sent my lifesize goat cape overnight with Fed-Ex. It was around 50# and cost $214, but I trusted them more than the airline. They told me that if the plane is full, you might only get two of your bags on your flight and the others may be put on a later flight.

United is the worst of them all, used to be American. I will gladly pay extra to fly with someone else. The nickle and dime bullchit is rediculous. United has never been cheap. As far as I can remember before the current 'lube session' they used to charge $50 for a third bag+, and $25 for over weight.

Southwest is the best by far. 2 free bags, and 3-10 bags 50lbs or less is $25 each.

Makes ya wonder if they'll drop the baggage fee now that the price of fule has come down. I'd be surpised.

That's what I couldn't believe. With the fuel prices down lower than they have been in a long time I thought they might drop some of the restrictions. I will deffinatley be looking into other airlines. What a joke.

I'll never fly with United again. I had trouble with them when I flew to AK this spring. I bought my ticked before they inacted the new weight restricdtions. I was charged $100 for checking a second bag and my gun was free. When I returned home I shipped my bagage UPS and checked my gun. I was charged $100 for checking one small bag and my gun. The lady in Anchorage said it was their new firearm fee. I didn't have a choice but to pay it.

That's BS Kyhunter42.. I had a pistol in my check in and they didn't charge me any extra for that but tried to hit me on everything else. I asked them what the difference was if the same weight was going on the plane wether in my carry on or check in. They said it was the handlers handling the extra weight. Although everybody on the plane had there carry ons stuffed to the max and hardly could get it all fitted into the overheads! No more united for me.

try frontier airlines if possible. My favorite airline to travel with guns and extra bags.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back