MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Ag/Livestock, MTDOL & APHIS attack on MT Wildlife

katqanna

Yesterday I attended the 1st day of the Brucellosis in Yellowstone Bison, Science Review and Workshop, held at the Chico resort. This was sponsored by the YNP. The panelists involve 8 scientists, in various specialties involving brucellosis. Yesterday, there were "stakeholders" who presented their perspective and pitch for how to deal with brucellosis in bison, which also brought up elk.

Three of the presenters should concern hunters. Dr. Marty Zaluski presented the MTDOL position, "Brucellosis has been the handcuffs that have limited the conservation efforts of bison." Actually, the rabid anti bison stance and legislation against bison has been the handcuffs to restoring wild bison on Montana lands so that we can have a sustainable and huntable population here. In the last 5 years, there have only been 9 cases of brucellosis in cattle and one domestic bison, in 4 herds. In that time, 2009 bison were killed exiting the YNP. There are so few cases here in MT, that the MTDOL does not even have a web page dedicated to it, because it would show what a small issue it really is. You have to sift through their news releases section to find them. Marty kept hammering the IBMP Record of Decision stating that brucellosis, seroprevalence had to be managed, likened brucellosis to an invasive species that the YNP was mandated to destroy and remove (he forgot to mention that the European cattle invasive species brought brucellosis to the wild here in the first place).

The next presenter was Jack Rhyan of APHIS. He pushed GonaCon as the best way to erradicate brucellosis from the wild. GonaCon is a "vaccine" that suppresses fertility for 3-4 years, but often makes them permanently sterile, "the vaccine indirectly blocks the production of sex hormones (e.g., estrogen and testosterone)". Cited that it has been used in wild deer populations in the eastern US. He wants to sterilize a whole generation to wipe out brucellosis. APHIS papers are not limited to bison, they want the elk cleared of this as well. Which means drastically reducing their population by test, slaughter or sterilizing them.

The next presenter, David Pascual, was presenting on a regular brucellosis vaccine that would be administered to the general elk/bison population at large.

This is managing our wildlife like livestock, except they want to encourage the reproduction of their livestock, while slaughtering or sterilizing our wildlife.

Dont make the mistake of thinking this is limited to bison and what are your chances of ever getting to hunt one. This is the first meeting that I know of, where the brucellosis issue was dealing with both bison and elk as the targets, mentioning some deer and moose. While this was from the scientific aspect, our legislators are attacking on the political front.

This article cites 10 anti-bison bills, some of which also cover other wildlife, such as elk. One presenter at the conference mentioned there were 16. I did not have a chance to follow up on that yet, but 10 is an enormous amount for one species. 8 of those 10 sponsors are farmer/ranchers. This is clearly an ag/livestock industry attack.

I eat primarily wild game and the other is what I raise myself. I dont want our wild game population reduced, limiting who can get tags for game. I would love to see wild bison meat in my freezer as well and look forward to the day that wild bison are restored to the landscape of Montana.

The ag/livestock industry is attacking our public lands, our wildlife, in an effort to control both land, the hunt and what we eat.

Last edited:
Thanks for the very good info. You are correct, the R legislature is intent on using its majority to bully sportsmen. We are not being given a voice. One might ask why it is our responsibility....vaccination should be on their end.

The reason they are pushing vaccination, especially the GonaCon infertility drug, is because the real issue is not brucellosis, it is grazing rights. They fuss enough with the elk, but put bison on the landscape, and they are freaking at the very thought. Doesnt matter that wildlife come with the landscape in MT, doesnt matter that they have priority to public lands, the majority of the ag/livestock community wants nearly free grazing for their stock or haying, not wildlife. And if they can make a case precedence with bison, they can say, they cleaned up (mostly through slaughter) the bison, now they have to go after the real problem - elk.

The ranchers don't want the bison on the CMR. They like the $2 a month grazing for there cows they have now. We need to get All the cattle off the CMR and put bison on it The cows brought the brucellosis to the wildlife. The bison were on the breaks long before the cows.

I hope that sportsmen can over turn this battle. I agree with you guys, there are cattle litterally EVERYWHERE in the US, but VERY few wild bison, and very few places where it would even be viable to have wild bison. Montana has both the access to bison and the landscape and area that has the potential for a wild herd outside of YNP.

We see a similar battle here in MN with our elk herd in NW MN. Because of the adjacency of the herd to row crops, it is held at a measly 50 head even though it would thrive otherwise. Sad knowing that we could otherwise have a decent elk population.

Last edited:
Back