Aftermarket bumper input

d-edward

Looking for some feedback (positive or negative) regarding aftermarket bumpers. I had a disagreement with an irrigation ditch during hunting season, which has provided a good opening for replacing the stock Ram bumper.

I've looked through previous threads, and it appears there Ranch Hand and Fab Four bumpers are well thought of. Looks like I can get into one of those for $1-2k. I like the idea of a full grill guard integrated with the bumper, but am not opposed to a standard steel bumper or single bar pre-runner. I did not see many ARB bumper options for Ram. While I realize some manufacturers I've researched are brand-specific, any other bumper options I should peruse?

There are some local vendors here in MT - TDK, Move, CK Fab, and others I'm sure. I'd like to support local, but am hesitant to go that route as those setups go the upcharge route for options such as light bar, fog light and winch mount cutouts that add up quickly. Of the retail options I've looked at, some setups like Ranch Hand allow me to retain my OEM fog lights (which are LED) and offer winch mounts as a standard option. If there are other local vendors who have better options, let me know.

Last edited:
I been eyeballing a steelcraft fortis for my ram but have heard changing these bumpers is a PIA with fog lamps, parking sensors and camera views. Good luck in your search

I had a full bumper/brush guard Ranch Hand on my '06 2500 HD after the stock bumper and a blowout had a meeting. Was very happy with it. Retained fog lights as mentioned and I believe the tow hooks as well. They are pretty common here.

new-bumper-y.jpg

Iron Cross are kinda in between in price and weight but ae very good and looks good.

The guy in Moore is very good and makes a bumper that will stop a train but very $$$ and very heave.

Looking for some feedback (positive or negative) regarding aftermarket bumpers. I had a disagreement with an irrigation ditch during hunting season, which has provided a good opening for replacing the stock Ram bumper.

I've looked through previous threads, and it appears there Ranch Hand and Fab Four bumpers are well thought of. Looks like I can get into one of those for $1-2k. I like the idea of a full grill guard integrated with the bumper, but am not opposed to a standard steel bumper or single bar pre-runner. I did not see many ARB bumper options for Ram. While I realize some manufacturers I've researched are brand-specific, any other bumper options I should peruse?

There are some local vendors here in MT - TDK, Move, CK Fab, and others I'm sure. I'd like to support local, but am hesitant to go that route as those setups go the upcharge route for options such as light bar, fog light and winch mount cutouts that add up quickly. Of the retail options I've looked at, some setups like Ranch Hand allow me to retain my OEM fog lights (which are LED) and and offer winch mounts as a standard option. If there are other local vendors who have better options, let me know.
I have been a big fan of the full front bumper replacements for a long time. They have saved me time and damage to the truck more times than I can count.

My experience had been limited to the Texas (Ranchhand) line until I put a Dakota (Luverne) on my latest work truck. I would rate either of these bumpers as "Excellent".

I'm not a Dodge guy but both mentioned companies built great bumpers for all breeds of rigs.

2004 Ranchhand: Hunting truck.

Ranchhand 2004 F350.JPG

2016 Luverne: Work truck.

Luverne 2016 F350.JPG

My latest save was a few days ago on Christmas eve. I was trying to get back home for Christmas day and hit a Wyoming muley on the interstate just after it had gotten dark. Hit the deer at 80mph on the passenger side as I tried to swerve. The only damage was cosmetic as the buck rolled down the side of the truck. If not for the replacement bumped, my Christmas would have been a whole lot different.

I have experience with Ranchhand brush guards and know of others that have used the "bumper only" models. Either of these can and will leave you stranded with a disabled rig when critters are hit. Full replacement as pictured above is the only way to go if you plan on spending the coin......at least it is for me.

I been eyeballing a steelcraft fortis for my ram but have heard changing these bumpers is a PIA with fog lamps, parking sensors and camera views. Good luck in your search
Yep - problem with the newer trucks with the bells and whistles. More to reconfigure when replacing the bumper.

I have been a big fan of the full front bumper replacements for a long time. They have saved me time and damage to the truck more times than I can count.

My experience had been limited to the Texas (Ranchhand) line until I put a Dakota (Luverne) on my latest work truck. I would rate either of these bumpers as "Excellent".

I'm not a Dodge guy but both mentioned companies built great bumpers for all breeds of rigs.

2004 Ranchhand: Hunting truck.

View attachment 168039

2016 Luverne: Work truck.

View attachment 168040

My latest save was a few days ago on Christmas eve. I was trying to get back home for Christmas day and hit a Wyoming muley on the interstate just after it had gotten dark. Hit the deer at 80mph on the passenger side as I tried to swerve. The only damage was cosmetic as the buck rolled down the side of the truck. If not for the replacement bumped, my Christmas would have been a whole lot different.

I have experience with Ranchhand brush guards and know of others that have used the "bumper only" models. Either of these can and will leave you stranded with a disabled rig when critters are hit. Full replacement as pictured above is the only way to go if you plan on spending the coin......at least it is for me.
Edit - looked at Luverne... nothing for my model year Ram available. Thanks though!

Last edited:
I've had good luck with TDK bumpers. Several friends have had them as well and they all like them. TDK bumpers are made in MT.

Have had two ARB's on 2009 and 2011 Toyota Tacomas and one Road Armor without light hoops on a 2007 Dodge 2500. All have held up well though and the ARB on the 2009 withstood getting hit twice at low speeds with nothing more than a scratch. The installation on the Road Armor was easier.

Last edited:
I was hit in the parking lot at Powell twice this year so I took my bumpers off the Tundra and put Smittybilt M1 front and back plus a front winch. 1/4" and 3/8" welded steel with LED lights. Try to hit me now. They did not effect the handling at all but they are heavy. Not hard to install.

I’ve run ARBs on Toyota’s definitely quality and worth the money. I thought AEV was the big aftermarket Dodge company. I don’t know more than a glance about them. Started here in Missoula then moved major office to Detroit to keep R&D cutting edge... I think. If you go with grill/headlight hoops, make sure they have good mass or they will be “damage multipliers” in an event. Full bumper is they way to go. Grille guards are definitely “damage multipliers” (cause more damage than protection).

I have been looking for one for my ram as well, I just have a hard time spending $1K+ on one. I will be going with a DIY one from movebumpers. I need more ground clearance for my approach angle.

Back