Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

After the Shot

4oh6hunter

Just wanted to get some opinions from those who have experienced what my friends and I did this last weekend (apologizing now for the long story).

On Saturday evening (09/23) my buddy crawled up to 25 yards from a bedded 6 point bull, while two of us watched from a few hundred yards away. He made what we thought was a good, double lung shot, with a full pass through and a bloodied arrow. After the shot, the bull ran with his cows about 150 yards and bedded in a park, his cows continuing to run into timber. We got to a spot we could see him from a ways off and watched the bull for about a half hour, his head bobbing and blood streaming down his side. Right before dark the bull slowly got up and walked into the timber so we backed out and decided to give the bull the rest of the evening to expire, hoping to find him in his bed the next morning (highs for the night were in the mid to high 20's so we figured the meat would be fine). The next morning at first light the 3 of us went in and got right on the blood trail (which was bright red telling us he definitely got lungs) in the timber a few yards from where the bull was bedded the evening before. Unfortunately we followed blood (a very good amount) through the timber, down the mountain and a few miles to a river bank where we thought he crossed. It being late in the day by this point, we decided to head to the truck and drive to a different point to access the other side of the river. On our way to the truck, we got very lucky and noticed new blood, higher up the trail that we hadn't seen before, realizing that the bull had doubled back on his original trail to the river. We followed that until dark and then marked the last spot, unable to follow the blood in the dark, and went home. The next morning (09/25), my buddy who shot it and I went back in and started from the marked blood. The blood trail went from streaks on grass and brush, to LARGE patches and pools where the bull had bedded and coughed up good amounts. We assumed we were close to walking up on a dead bull, but to our disbelief, we got within 15 yards of him bedded under a tree and he got up and trotted off. Had we assumed he was still alive, which we now know we always should, we would have had arrows knocked and been quiet, but we figured he was dead by the amounts of blood we were seeing and it being 2 days since he was shot, so we just weren't ready and we were talking to each other fairly loudly (our mistake, knowledge for the future). Since the bull didn't run away, but rather slowly got up and tried to trot away, stopping several times to cough up blood, we decided to give him an hour to find a new bed where we could hopefully get another arrow in him (is this the right thing to do here?). Following his trail from his bed, we actually caught up to the bull, where he was walking back down towards the river again about 100 yards in front of us. Seeing this, we knew he was very sick (typically a bumped injured bull will never be seen again from what I've heard) and we decided to mark his blood trail, go home and give him the rest of the day to bed down and bleed out, hopefully without being bumped again. After another sleepless night, we returned to the last blood (09/26) and tracked him back to the river where he bedded in some very thick buck brush. In his bed was another very large pool of blood, but to our amazement, no dead elk. From his bed the blood trail was almost impossible to follow since it had rained a bit the night before and we spent the rest of the day looking but with no luck. We are going to continue to return to the area we last found blood and just do a grid system and hopefully locate him but we are both sick and feel terrible. This would have been his first elk with a bow and a big one to top it off. He is about to punch his tag but without taping it to a set of antlers and carrying meat out on his back :(. I know elk are very tough but never did I think a lung-shot bull could bleed this much and still live.

Any advice or suggestions on what we could do differently in the future would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Doesn't sound like a double lung shot or even a single lung shot. Probably just missed it. By now the lungs would have filled up with blood and it would have basically drowned in blood if the lungs were hit. Might have nicked one lung barely but still doesn't sound like it to me. When tracking always make sure to have your bow with you and ready to knock an arrow in the future. If he is still alive and you spot him, spot and stalk, sneak in for another shot. Never assume the animal is down for the count. Signs definitely show that he is hurting and will die. Just not the best shot placement. I'd take two of you or more, set up a spot and stalk and cover potential exit strategies, it sounds like he is circling the same area. Also, another thought in my mind, if he's not dead after a couple days later after the shot, he'll survive or die of later unable to eat and it wasn't the arrow placement you thought. It's not a good situation to be in for anyone, and I feel bad for you guys. You are doing the proper thing by staying on him and not giving up knowing you put an arrow in him. That's the type of ethical hunter we like to hear about and appreciate. Don't give up yet and try and get another arrow in him.

Thanks for the advice. Definitely know to be ready while tracking in the future. He let us get to 15 yards from his bed with us talking and the wind at our back before he got up so spot and stalk to get another arrow in him should be doable if we can find him again. We assumed lungs because he was coughing up the blood but that's a good point, he shouldn't live for several days after a lung shot. Hopefully we can get it done.

Hunt Talk Podcast 035 Randy and Janis Putelis recall a story of an elk shot three times in the HEART with a .30 cal and a finishing shot still had to be taken to put him down. I call them bionic deer or elk. Some just refuse to die, others drop on the spot. As Ryan2782 said: "That's the type of ethical hunter we like to hear about and appreciate." Ill bet you guys are sick over it. Keep it up, you will find him...next one will be better!

All I meant by the comment was the effort that they are putting in to for this animal is a great effort and appreciated in trying to recover the animal. There are too many hunters out there that don't search for an animal after a day, let alone multiple days. No doubt in my mind they are sick over it, as would myself or anyone else. Not recovering an animal that has been shot is tough on anyone regardless of what type of shot placement was made. Granted, each animal is different in survival mode once wounded. The way they have been able to find this elk each day sounds like they will be able to get another arrow into it.

I haven't listened to the podcast, and will have to put it on my list to listen too. I was raised with the rule with rifle to do a follow up shot until the animal is guaranteed down and, and the same with a bow if the animal provides a second follow up shot by not running off.

Lung shots will have foam. Bright red is better than dark, but still not indicative of a fatal shot. it can be surprising just how much blood they have. I think you did everything right the first night by watching him and then backing out. I would never assume an animal that is down is in fact dead. You can youtube videos of guys being gored from approaching a "dead" animal just to have it jump up and ram them. As we teach in hunter safety, approach from the back end, and poke its butt. If it doesn't move, I poke the eye. If nothing then I asses it as dead. When approaching a downed animal, I would always be at the ready with an arrow or round. It is an expensive lesson to learn, but one you won't ever forget.

Keep searching! If you could track yourselves with GPS, or place the track on a paper map, there might be a sense of purpose to his movements, which could be predictive of where he has moved next (and is waiting for you to find him).

As to the notching of the tag, IIRC, in some states if you draw blood, the tag is to be deemed filled, whether the animal is recovered or not.

For myself, the situation seems to me that the tag should be notched, much in the same way if I hit a duck, see it fall, knowing that it has been hit, I count that as one of my limit of birds, whether returned to the strap or not.

Last edited:
If legal in MT, this might be one to put a tracking dog after. Bedded shot, going back to water, makes me think he may have been hit in the gut. You are absolutely doing the only right thing by searching for this "dead elk walking."

Last edited:
As for dog tracking, I think you can use a tracking dog in Colorado now as well. I also agree with using a GPS with the tracking program running. You can upload that on your computer at night, and verify where all you looked, and transfer it to Google Earth, where you can then evaluate where you haven't looked. Then you could establish way points of where you haven't looked, make a list of these and check them out. (This is assuming you think he stayed in a general area, as was suggested).

Not surprised he went to water, that's typical of many wounded animals. I'm guessing it was a liver shot and if so, he will most likely die just not quickly. I'm glad you are keeping after it and not giving up. Start watching for scavengers in the area. It is unfortunate but it does happen...
Good luck

I agree with Kansasdad on this. Whether the bull is found or not the tag should be notched and the animal reported as not recovered if your state requires that. It is most likely dead in some nasty blow down somewhere and the meat unusable. Tracking a wounded animal should always be done with your weapon in hand as you learned.

Agreed with most everything everyone is saying. At this point it would probably be too late to do anything but salvage the antlers, but find a high point and look for ravens, they'll tell you where their dinner table is

It's easy to be a Monday morning QB in this situation, but I think at this point you all probably should have stuck with him and tried to get another arrow in him:
Following his trail from his bed, we actually caught up to the bull, where he was walking back down towards the river again about 100 yards in front of us. Seeing this, we knew he was very sick (typically a bumped injured bull will never be seen again from what I've heard) and we decided to mark his blood trail, go home and give him the rest of the day to bed down and bleed out, hopefully without being bumped again.

Not surprised he went to water, that's typical of many wounded animals. I'm guessing it was a liver shot and if so, he will most likely die just not quickly. I'm glad you are keeping after it and not giving up. Start watching for scavengers in the area. It is unfortunate but it does happen...
Good luck

What he said^^^

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SubSpider
Back