Caribou Gear

Africa lists,

B_F_E

Just got back from Africa & talk about hunters Mecca, We had a group of 5 that went down together, 3 of us for the first time & I think all this making lists for a first time hunter is somewhat misguided in the sence that other hunters I spoke with & the 2 that were with us, were going back to take animals that they had passed up on previous hunting trips because they didn't have them on thier lists. A prime example is the Red Duiker, this little elusive critter is so hard to shoot that if you don't shoot him when you see him, odds are you could be going back many times & never get a shot at one again. I think a better list should be a list of animals you have absolutly no interest in shooting, such as Zebra, which I ended up buying a rug while down thier already tanned cheeper than I could have hunted one. Anyway tell your PH what your after, but if you see a trophy of another species thats not on your (not interested list) go shoot it, bushbuck is another prime example of this, if you see a good one of these suckers change gears & go harvest it. Make another list of the hardest to harvest animals(blesbuck is definatly not on this list) & be an opportunist hunter, not the hunter ancored to my list hunter. After all one of the best things about Africa is the variety, so get em when you see them because the animals are'nt aware that they have to present themselve in the order you have them listed.

B_F_E, Thanx for the Report man !! I've been thinknig about you. I couldn't remember when you were coming back. Would love to see some pictures and hear more about were ya went. WHat outfitter did you use, what city (Any location) was it in. What were some of the Prices, How were the local ladies.. Errr I meant "wildlife"
wink.gif

Welcome home bud !! Keep up the good stories and info, Guys like me that never went want to hear from First timers !!! It shows us more like what we would be thinking.

Any pics ? Need help hosting them ? Lemme know !!

Moosie I E-mailed you some pictures from this hunt when you get them post them here & I'll tell some storys.

BFE, You have an interesting view on the "list" what you say makes sense to a degree as some animals will make themselves available or be spectacular trophies that you may not have considered. I see this often with Nyala and waterbuck.

As far as Red Duiker goes it's available (naturally) in a very limited region and not many other species are indiginous there. It's not found in the more usual hunting areas of South Africa. I suspect anyone hunting in that area will be specific for Nyala, and small red and blue Duikers. Zululand is a difficult area to hunt with much more rain and a very lush habitat when compared to the more typically arid hunting locations in RSA.

As far as buying a Zebra rug instead of shooting one, well that is an interesting theory. This past season we had a hunter in camp who said he could buy all his trophies off of Ebay already mounted for less then the pack and dip costs to get them home. He caught a lot of "flack" over his plan because they were not actually his trophies but somebody elses.

I would feel the same if I were to buy a zebra rather then have hunted it myself. If it's the cost of the skin from a store VS the cost of a head mount of my own animal for me at least I don't see the difference in that. If it's not the one I shot I would not want it in my collection.

About 1/2 my hunters bring no trophies home now. They bring video equipment and good camera stuff and leave the trophies behind opting for a set of excellent photo's which are cheap, and make a nice display without the enormous amount of space that Taxidermy takes up. They also come hunting about twice as often as the hunters who mount everything.

Pack and dip will be 120.00 bucks for the paperwork plus 50 bucks an animal. For 7 animals you have 470.00

Then on average the cost to ship them to the USA and go through the broker will be 125.00 per animal( on average). There you have another 875.00

Taxidermy will likely average 600 bucks for each shoulder mount with tanning costs For African game done in the USA.

This total for 7 animals being shoulder mounted of 5500.00 bucks or around there will exceed the cost of the hunting trip without airfare! Those folks choosing to have the top of the line photography of their trip can hunt the following year for another two weeks and shoot plenty more game for less then the cost of the original trips taxidermy bill alone!

Now I have a load of taxidermy in my house so you know I feel. The mounts I have are nice and I do like my taxidermy. I'm just pointing out a very popular and growing trend right now among the hunters who come to my lodge, and who are hunting Africa in General.

Those pics of warthogs just put them on my list! AWESOME! I also dig the red hartebeast (I think that's what it is). Congrats!

What town in So. UT do you hail from BFE?

1 pointer, I'm from grass valley.
Jhack, I guess when I couldn't tell the differance between a male & female Zebra I lost interest in shooting one myself, I like your idea concerning taxidermy, I found a taxidermist while I was there that did skull mounts dirt cheep.
Moosie, thanks for posting the picts.
I did have a wonderfull time, my problem was that I had grandiose unrealistic expectation, I think I expected to be magically emersed into another world, simular to the movie "Out of Africa" however the skys were hazy because of the burning going on, the Jo-burg airport was like flying into a typical 1st world airport, & much of the terrain was reminicent of the chaparrel grasses & the rolling hills of So. California. haveing said that, my hunt could not have been matched for opportunities in variety & quanitity of animals anywhere else in the world. the people were friendly & attentive. The facilitys were 1st class & everyone went out of thier way to give us superb opportunities to harvest trophy class animals. The towns & cities were very peacefull & villagers waved & smiled everywhere we went(even though the natives were treated somewhat like untouchables.) And like my hartebeest pictures show, Oh my God are there some funky critters over there. When I walked up to mine I thought it could have easily came from some science fiction bar sceene. Anyway those are my novice impresions & I would recomend going there to anyone. "whack em & stack em"

BFE who did you hunt with? Do they have a web site? Went in May to SA had the time of my life. Great pictures.

I went down there with Ally Robins allyrobins.co.za/and was very pleased with them. kind of funny story (not at the time)we stalked another kudu & were getting ready for a shot, they carry shooting sticks & they set them up as a rest & when I set up to shot, one of the sticks snapped & before I could regroup for a shot the bull had excaped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back