Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Afghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get told to shut up by a member, I politely tell him to mind his own business, he rants again and I tell him to piss off and I am the dick? How does that work? Please explain that to me.
Freedom to say something doesn't mean saying it is the right thing to do. Maybe you aren't a dick but you just play one on HT, I don't know. The story of your brother and his scars from war is a powerful reminder of the costs of the war we asked our youth to fight. Talk about what we should do to avoid more soldiers returning with PTSD, things like that.

Equating school shootings, Ie a lone gunman in most cases to the 9/11 attack is kind of dickish and comparing apples to Tuesday.

Freedom to say something doesn't mean saying it is the right thing to do. Maybe you aren't a dick but you just play one on HT, I don't know. The story of your brother and his scars from war is a powerful reminder of the costs of the war we asked our youth to fight. Talk about what we should do to avoid more soldiers returning with PTSD, things like that.

Equating school shootings, Ie a lone gunman in most cases to the 9/11 attack is kind of dickish and comparing apples to Tuesday.
So what you are saying is that it's "dickish" because I have a different opinion than you do about what I consider terrorism?

The problem with our western views is we only see things through our narrow lens. The fact the Western media call the Afganies is incorrect in their eyes. Every tribe to every village to every province to Afghanistan itself is different. The tribes have basically played the western powers in order to settle debates that are decades old.

In fairness, Jess made that comment after someone made a reference to terrorism. Unfortunately, our culture gives a higher priority of fear to foreign terrorism when domestic terrorism is far more likely for us to experience… and statistically a far larger and more present problem for the homeland.

In fairness, Jess made that comment after someone made a reference to terrorism. Unfortunately, our culture gives a higher priority of fear to foreign terrorism when domestic terrorism is far more likely for us to experience… and statistically a far larger and more present problem for the homeland.
Thank you. I appreciate the comment and I agree with you 100%

Sorry to hear about your brother @Jess.

The mental struggles are very real and unfortunately there isn’t much for help with them. War effects everyone differently. There are guys that have shot many people without having much thought about it and others that it has drastic effects on. The problem is we don’t know who it’s going to effect.

Sorry to hear about your brother @Jess.

The mental struggles are very real and unfortunately there isn’t much for help with them. War effects everyone differently. There are guys that have shot many people without having much thought about it and others that it has drastic effects on. The problem is we don’t know who it’s going to effect.
I appreciate the comment. I agree with you. The problem with mental illness in our country, including our soldiers, is beyond the resources that are available. I am thankful that our vets have places like the VA to use as resources but there is a part of me that is quite angry at the United States for putting my brother and other soldiers like him in this situation in the first place. And for what? My question is what does the United States do when the next act of terrorism happens on our home soil by a middle eastern country? Does the process start all over again?

Thank you. I appreciate the comment and I agree with you 100%
No worries.
Also sorry to hear about your brother. I know it can be tough on the family… and thankfully there’s some societal shifts in how we view and deal with mental illnesses. I think war changes everyone involved on some level. It has to just by the nature of it. Obviously some handle and compartmentalize things differently and many walk around with invisible wounds. Some self medicate and unfortunately some take their own lives. I have seven former friends/coworkers that did between 2008 and 2012 including a guy that went to basic with me. You just never REALLY know what’s going on between the ears of people.

I’m not sure how the VA’s are where you’re located but there is a concerted effort across the board to improve care over the last 10 years. A lot of the money and focus is going to wholistic mental health services. My wife was actually hired on about 5 years ago as a medical psychologist. I’d encourage your family to continue to push your brother towards continued care… even after things are going well for health maintenance. I don’t know that any of it ever really leaves you. I know a condition of one of my jobs when I worked in Special Operations was yearly Pyschological Evals to make sure we handled things well.

Nothing but the the upmost respect for the friends and family lost and changed forever in that place.

My thoughts on Afghanistan, Russia gave it a go, We tried, maybe china will be successful. They do have experience with the Uyghurs. Some re-education camps and slave labor along with not adhering to those pesky ROE’s might get em somewhere. China wouldn’t want those pesky terrorists destroying their interests in the USA either so they wouldn’t allow any of that crap.

Pray for the women and children and hold dear what we have here.

So what you are saying is that it's "dickish" because I have a different opinion than you do about what I consider terrorism?

in all "fairness" I don't really care how anyone defines terrorism. I will stand by what I posted, acting like a dick is still acting like a dick.

If anyone believes a school shooter has the same goals in committing an act of terror that Bin Laden had then good on you, I would suggest you do a deeper dive into it but that is for a different thread.

We owe our troops more than we can ever repay for their hidden wounds and lifetime of paying for what they went through.

Nemont

@Jess thank you for sharing that personal story.
Thanks for the post, I appreciate it. I think I am actually more emotional now about my brother's situation than he is to tell you the truth. I teach for a living and every morning when we stand for the pledge and some of my middle school students decide not to stand for the pledge (which I understand, it's their right) I really have to bite my tongue.

I think everyone remembers where they were the day of the 9/11 attacks, I do, and the subsequent 7/7 attacks.
It was a knee jerk (but totally understandable) reaction to hit back with Americas military might and ALL her allies having her back.
We are constantly reminded of the sacrifices our soldiers made where I live, just down the road from the Royal Marines training centre, many who trained there made their lives there after the training, so many can be seen heroically coping with the terrible injuries they sustained, and the associated PTSD hidden from view.
I feel for the families who lost a loved one, I can't begin to understand how painful that must be at this time.

As they say hind sight is a wonderful thing, but if Russia (who don't play by military rules) couldn't defeat them, how could we (who do largely play by the rules) defeat them.
Just look back in Afghanistan's previous history.

I fear for the females left behind, the Taliban are saying one thing now, but who for one minute believes them?

We need to get as many out of that country as soon as possible before the Taliban stop us.

Last edited:
You literally couldn't handle the exit this poorly if you tried. Embarrassing for our country.

I keep thinking that, are they that stupid? Or maybe they were trying? Never let a good crisis go to waste.

Last edited:
No worries.
Also sorry to hear about your brother. I know it can be tough on the family… and thankfully there’s some societal shifts in how we view and deal with mental illnesses. I think war changes everyone involved on some level. It has to just by the nature of it. Obviously some handle and compartmentalize things differently and many walk around with invisible wounds. Some self medicate and unfortunately some take their own lives. I have seven former friends/coworkers that did between 2008 and 2012 including a guy that went to basic with me. You just never REALLY know what’s going on between the ears of people.

I’m not sure how the VA’s are where you’re located but there is a concerted effort across the board to improve care over the last 10 years. A lot of the money and focus is going to wholistic mental health services. My wife was actually hired on about 5 years ago as a medical psychologist. I’d encourage your family to continue to push your brother towards continued care… even after things are going well for health maintenance. I don’t know that any of it ever really leaves you. I know a condition of one of my jobs when I worked in Special Operations was yearly Pyschological Evals to make sure we handled things well.
Aaron got diagnosed with skin cancer about a 2 years ago and started using the VA in La Crosse and Madison WI. He had his surgery in Madison along with his immune therapy that and now has appointments every two months for checkups. The cancer may have been a blessing in disguise because Aaron, up until then, would go on and off his anti-depressants when he would start feeling a little bit better. That would only send him spiraling out of control. With his constant check-ups and having a doctor that he trusts, he has been much better about following a strict plan for both his physical and mental well being.

in all "fairness" I don't really care how anyone defines terrorism. I will stand by what I posted, acting like a dick is still acting like a dick.

If anyone believes a school shooter has the same goals in committing an act of terror that Bin Laden had then good on you, I would suggest you do a deeper dive into it but that is for a different thread.

We owe our troops more than we can ever repay for their hidden wounds and lifetime of paying for what they went through.

Nemont
No offense, but I spent the last 21+ years dealing in counter terrorism and counter insurgency on 5 different continents at this point. I have family members in law enforcement on the federal, state, and city level.

I’m defining terrorism in the classical sense and yes the January 6th Capitol Attack and SOME domestic shootings (to include some school shootings, church shootings, attacks on protests, etc.) would technically qualify.

They did
I feel bad for all the "good" people in Afghanistan. I just wish the Afghan military would have put up a fight. I really don't know why they didn't.
In some instances they did. They were in isolated spots and had very little hope of support. What would you have done in that situation?

Oh, and here's a fun kernel to roll around. Do a little calendar math relative to evac operations. Guess which date will likely be Taliban Independence Day.
Had we somehow been victorious - say, kept it low key, CIA - surgical SOF strikes, take out terrorist defined leaders and finally Osama... THAT would be a good ring to our response of 9/11... (Warmongering private firm lobbyists would never take their pressure off congressmen to let this happen)

Though who, in their right mind, finds giving the enemies such a glorious day September 11th as the U.S. declared day U.S. finally withdrew from their country??? I fully agree. WTF? Taliban Independence Day, 9/11. wow!

And, "in their right mind" would have been used for ANY President.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back