Yeti GOBOX Collection

Advice on CO research

Okbow87

Looking for some advice on my unit research technique for CO. I am looking to start hunting elk in CO every couple of years, and do some what of a rotation of elk and mule deer tags. I have my deer unit picked out and have some local contacts there, but still looking for an elk unit.

Here are the things I know...

I want to hunt every couple of years. So units that take 0-4 points are what I am looking at.

Most of October is not really an option for me, so I am looking at 3rd and 4th rifle seasons.

Seeing tons of other people is not really a part of Western hunting I enjoy. So draw units are my main focus.

Trophy quality is not that important to me. Sure I would love to find a unit that I can shoot a 300+ in, but I really just want to go elk hunting between drawing other states.

Some of the units I am looking at have quite a bit of wilderness. So using a drop camp is not out of the question, or even pack in on foot and pay for a pack out if I am lucky enough to harvest a bull.

So far, I have compiled a list of units that fall in to this category. Then I went and separated them into groups based on success rates on bulls in the 3rd and 4th seasons for the last three years, 10%+, 20%+, 30%+, and 40% or higher. Then I started with the units with the highest success and started working my way down, consulting maps on mytopo of units to gauge the amount of public land and access in each unit. I now have a list of 6 or 7 units that have close to half the unit or more public access and 30% or higher success.

Now I am kind of stuck on my next move. Do I just pick one and go? Two of the units are the closest drive from home and have some of the highest success rates, but have the least amount of public access. I am slightly worried that a lot of this success is coming on private land or by hunting with an outfitter. Other than calling the biologist/game warden for those areas, which is my next step, is there any other way to find out how much of that is happening on private/with and outfitter?

Thanks for any advice!

Colin

I'm not much help but it seems the biologist call can help you narrow things down pretty well. I talked to one last week and told him where i was planning on going and what i think i figured out with my research, he turned me in a completely different direction altogether and threw a couple other units at me and listed specific public land that would fit my criteria. Extremely helpful guy that really helped me narrow some things down

Very few places in CO that hold elk on public land where you can draw the tag every couple of years and expect can harvest a bull every third hunt or so.

I would look into a drop camp.

A drop camp 3 to 5 miles from the trailhead where the outfitter will haul out your elk. Finding an outfitter may get tougher, though. I expect will see a decline in CO outfitters the next few years as the change in the minimum wage rule on Federal land impact hits home on outfitters with seasonal employees.

I am a fan of drop camps. I used to hike in "light" with camp on my back and to get a boned-out elk out was 3 roundtrips plus the camp was a 4th one-way hike out. No more. Always felt like was rushed to get the meat out and took 2 weeks to get my body back to normal.

You may or may not get more shot opportunities on elk using a drop camp, you may not see more bull elk and they may not be bigger. You will reduce the wear and tear on your body plus end up with a more comfortable, better-stocked camp.

I disagree with above post for sure.I would call biologists and ask them about the public area your looking at,and ask about the success from public/private.I'm doing basically the same type research your doing on units within 4-6 points.Right now I need to decide on a trophy unit in archery or an average 1st rifle hunt.Plenty of high success units in that point range,but I don't think quality is much better then otc hunts;just less hunters afield.So I think you'll easily find what your looking for in your point range.Definitely call the local biologist and tell him the spot your considering.I'm always pretty specific with my area when I talk to them,and almost always get a few more drainages to check out

On the right track. DWMs (game wardens) will answer unit-specific questions as well as biologists. Find out how to reach them by calling CPW Hunt Planners 303 297-1192. For what they are worth, harvest statistics averaged over last 5 years would be more accurate than the last 3 years. 3rd and 4th seasons have had inconsistent weather in recent years. Worse weather=higher harvest, generally speaking. Finally, follow the same instinct that got you this far. Search the web for GMU XYZ, you will find all kinds of BS, conventional wisdom, and some accurate info. I'll reply to a PM if the units you are researching are ones I'm familiar with.

When you all say call a biologist.....biologist working for who? DOW? How does someone find that contact information?

Thanks

Hunted a 3 different units in Colorado the last few years for elk and my buddy and I are trying to pick out a home unit.

When you call the DPW hunt planners line and tell them where you're thinking of hunting and they give you their information, you can ask to get in touch with the biologist or warden that works that unit or area. They are usually really cool and friendly about it. I've had awesome luck talking to wardens since they are usually boots to the ground in the areas. To contact a warden, find the DPW office for the region that covers the unit you want to hunt and call them. Last time I did that, I had a call back within a half hour. But, the biologists you can get ahold of through the hunt planner line and they will have a different twist on the information for you to look at it from a different angle. So, I would talk to both a biologist and a warden.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info gentlemen! I will be making some phone calls to see what I can find out. Since I should draw my 3rd season buck tag next year, hopefully I can tag out before the season is over and spend a couple of days checking out elk units on the way home.

Very few places in CO that hold elk on public land where you can draw the tag every couple of years and expect can harvest a bull every third hunt or so.

I don't agree with that. The elk are there, but you do have to find their spot. And that part can be hard!

To the OP, appears you are well on your way in terms of planning. In my limited experience, the biggest factor in your success will be thoroughly scouting the area you choose. If you can spend a week, or even a long weekend, over the summer burning some boot leather you have a greater chance of finding where the elk will be in the fall (rubs). Good luck!

Last edited:
OP I think you have a good system and just need to work it out to conclusion. When you get to the biologist/warden have specific questions and know a little about the country you are asking about. I think the more you know, ie specific drainages (very specific), even contours, the better info you get from the staff out there. They have helped me a ton, but don't discount your own research. On occasion I have found things I know about and they don't. Once you crunch all the numbers, all the internet snooping, all the staff info, then go with your gut. I think you are ahead of most.

Finally, get in shape, work hard and then do more. Coupled with good research your odds will increase well above the outcome data from the DOW.

Just remember something a friend told me. "Elk hunting is the hardest thing that do. I can try as hard as I can try and still come up empty."

Good luck, and again great work so far
HD

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back