Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Advice on cheek piece/pad for rifle stock

Wrong Burgundy

I have a Howa 6.5 Creedmoor Alpine Mountain Rifle, and even with the low Talley mounts/rings, I struggle to get a good cheek weld, especially in the prone position shooting relatively level or a bit uphill. I have a VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm Leupold scope on it, so nothing too crazy with regards to glass size.

I have two questions regarding cheek pieces/pads:
1. Fixed or removable pad (Karsten vs. Triad Tactical and the like)?
2. If fixed is the recommendation, which version of the Karsten would you go with (A, B or C Model)?

Thanks for any advice.

I looked into this last year with my rifle. I ended up doing my own in a very simple way after checking several sites and videos. It has worked really well and cost me about $5.

I got a sheet of craft foam and cut it into several one inch wide by maybe 5 inch long slits. The foam is only about 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick. I just kept stacking those up and checking my weld and sight picture, temporarily holding the foam in place with tape. Once I got the right sight picture with a great weld, I took vet wrap, which is basically a cohesive bandage, and wrapped it all in place. Then I slipped one of those Allen stretchy buttstock bullet holder things over it. I love it. Cost almost nothing, didn't do anything permanent to my gun, and man did it help improve my shooting. Might be worth looking into.

I looked into this last year with my rifle. I ended up doing my own in a very simple way after checking several sites and videos. It has worked really well and cost me about $5.

I got a sheet of craft foam and cut it into several one inch wide by maybe 5 inch long slits. The foam is only about 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick. I just kept stacking those up and checking my weld and sight picture, temporarily holding the foam in place with tape. Once I got the right sight picture with a great weld, I took vet wrap, which is basically a cohesive bandage, and wrapped it all in place. Then I slipped one of those Allen stretchy buttstock bullet holder things over it. I love it. Cost almost nothing, didn't do anything permanent to my gun, and man did it help improve my shooting. Might be worth looking into.

I did this same thing with my 1187 SuperMag which is my turkey gun. I could never get good sight picture with my red dot and the hard plastic on my jaw with those turkey loads sucked. This completely fixed my problem.

If building your own isn't your thing, I've used Triad Tactical stock packs on a few rifles with positive results. I prefer the removeable versions because they can be removed for cleaning the rifle. A friend has a fixed cheek riser and he can't get a cleaning rod through the barrel from the breech end.

Last edited:
I use a Bradley Adjustable Cheek Rest. The rest is held in place with Velcro strips and they work very well. The rest is open from front to rear so you can pass your cleaning rods through it without having to remove the rest (I did have to pay attention to the placement of the rest so that I could remove my bolt).

Thanks for the advice and different options - leaning towards the Triad Tactical, due to the removable feature. Not ready to drop the stock on the drill press just yet....

my favorite is the Blackhawk Urban Warfare cheekpad. It's got a raised pad, and both a zip pouch, and 5 cartridge loops. I've got 3 of them now.

Evidently you had your mind made up already, if you had checked out the Bradley you'd of seen that they don't require modification of the stock and you can clean your weapon without removing the rest.

Brad's Cheek rest, Portland............I have one on my Ruger Am Predator 6.5 Creed and really appreciate it.

Back