Advice on Broadheads

BiggWimm

I am looking to start bow-hunting elk. I am curious to see what people might recommend for broadhead gr. weights for elk. Is 125 gr. enough or do I need to go to 200 gr.? Any recs. would be great. Also any recs. on brands would be good too. Thanks!

Yes, 125gr are big enough. You can use 85gr if you want! I have killed elk with them but I prefer the 100gr broadheads. I shoot thunderheads, but thinking about switching to something else. I have two buddies that both shot muzzy. We have killed alot of elk with both brands. I would like to hear everybodies responses too! What is the best preformance at a good price?

I have had good results with Sonic 125gr heads the last three years, they are COC replaceable blade head. 2 elk, 3 deer, short blood trails. Hold together well and fly right with my field points. Not terrifically expensive.

I've shot some real cheapos and some more expensive. I now go with the middle of the road ones that fly good. That's going to be your biggest challenge. Finding ones that fly well with the setup you have. Unfortunately that requires buying different brands and trying them. They all fly a little different. Yours more than likely will be different than mine. Maybe find some friends that shoot different brands and borrow an older one.

As for your weight question I prefer 100-125grains. They fly fast and aren't too light in my opinion. I'm currently shooting Muzzy Mx3's 100grains with no complaints. The only complaint is my shooting:D that's a whole nother topic. Good Luck

Any sharp broadhead will blow through an elk especially if the bow is tuned, of course if the bow isn't tunes you will have a tough time getting consistant grouping with fixed broadheads. Make sure the bow shoots bullet holes through paper before you start, it doesn't always insure great flight but it gives you the best starting point. I have also found a stiffer spined arrow help with fixed head flight, all depends on the setup.

I have had good luck with wacems and wasp bullets. The wasp bullets are probably the best flighing head I have found out of fast bows (300+ actual speed not IBO rating). I have also had great luck with Snyper mechanicals, I've killed two elk with those.

BigWimm, you're going to find that opinions on broadheads are like opinions on what caliber is best for elk. Everybody has their favorites.

My advice. A good starting point (pun intended) is a broadhead that weighs between 100-125 grains. Get a good replaceable three or four blade head. By good I mean heads such as G5 Strykers, Rocky Mountain Ironhead, Slick Trick (Standards or Magnums), Magnus Stingers(lifetime guarentee on those) Trophy Taker's Shuttle T Loc, and as always the venerable old Muzzys. Some of my personal favorites are the G5 Montecs, Nap Hell Razor, Magnus Snuffer SS, and the Wensel Woodsman Elite. Those in the last list are all resharpenable and since I'm a cheap type of guy I like to be able to get more than one shot with a $10 broadhead.

My last piece of advice. Learn how to tune your bow and don't fall for the line of;" You need to get these mechanical heads. They fly just like your field points and it doesn't matter if your bow is tuned or not. Mechanical heads can work great, but I don't really like them for elk. There's a ton of guys that would dissagree with me but that's my personal opinion. I don't shoot enough kinetic energy with my current setup to make me feel like a mechanical head is my best choice. Good luck!

Regarding broadhead weight, the important thing is to use the weight that matches the spine your arrow. Go to the arrow makers web site, and most will have a chart. Using your draw weight and draw length, arrow length and type of cams, you can match a broadhead weight to your arrow. When in doubt, go with a stiffer arrow. Avoid arrow/broadhead combinations with an overall weight of under 400 grains.
As far as the broadheads themselves, I like Gerald Martins list above.

I am sold on the Slick Trick Standards. I fiddle with broadheads a lot to see how they all fly, and these fly as good as any I have tried. They also have 4 razor sharp blades, and tougher than any other head I have played with. They are also cheep compared to a lot of other heads. I have killed 2 bulls with them over the last 2 years. First bull was a perfect broadside double lung pass through at 40 yards. It was like throwing an ax through an animal : ) He ran about 20 yards and piled up (about 10 seconds). There was a pile of lung matter laying on the ground like it was a rifle shot. The second bull was quartering away, hit one lung and the arrow angled back into the body cavity and was poking out on the other side. I got too anxious and jumped him about 50 yards from where I shot him, and he went about another quarter mile with his one lung before he bled out. He left a blood trail that was very easy to follow.
I have been shooting the standard 100s, but only because it would be kind of a big investment to switch to the 125s now. I would like to try 125s as I feel the extra weight would give me better penetration, and probably fly better with my shafts which are borderline too stiff for my 100 grain tips. But for now, the 100s work great.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great advice! I appreciate all the help, hopefully i will have a good story to tell next season!

Have had a substantial amount of luck with the 100 grain Magnus stingers..........In fact, i've tried many, and now stick only to the Stingers. The last 4 bulls i have taken were with the Magnus stinger and most of the guys i hunt with swear by them as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back