Advice needed on Tikka T3 Rifle

stillkickin

I am looking at buying a new rifle and there is a SS Lite version in 7mm-08 at our local shop. I am impressed with the features and looks as well as a reasonable price tag. Do any of you Hunttalkers have any experience with Tikka's that you could pass on to me?

They shoot! I've been around a handful. I'd consider one if I could buy a aluminum trigger guard, shroud, and mag box to replace the plastic on the rifle. I don't think anybody is making aftermarket parts for them yet, with the exception of McMillan, who is inletting McM Edge stocks for them.

I have the SS Lite in .300 WSM and it is definately a shooter. The plastic magazine is a downfall (mainly due to replacement price ~$50), and just the off chance of losing it in the field. For that reason I do carry a loaded extra magazine just in case.

Being a "Lite" I was told to purchase a Limbsaver recoil pad...which I did. I never have shot it without the pad, but with it the recoil is definately tolerable.

I have heard complients about the supplied scope rings. I purchased different scopes rings when I bought the rifle...didn't want to chance it.

It has definately been my workhorse for the past couple seasons and filled the freezer--just isn't quite old enough to earn the title "Old Reliable" just yet.

I was wondering about the plastic, especially in the magazine. A friend of one of the sales guys has a friend who has hunted all around the world through dust, salt water, dirt...you name it and hasn't had an issue with any of the composite parts on the Tikka's he uses. I beat my rifles up a lot so would like input on the reliability, accuracy, etc. from anyone who would care to share their opinions on the T3 before I pull the trigger on this one.

Well I can tell you I got SS and black for a reason. It's been to 6 states and thrown in or strapped on every pack I own...its seen plenty of miles in a scabbard all over the AB Wilderness...and its seen its fair share of trips, stumbles, and falls; as well as, the occasional tree rub from an itchy horse. But I have yet to have any issues.

Sounds like they all have great out of the box accuracy, any knowledge on how easy it is to adjust the trigger? The one I am looking at seems to have a good one, but a tad heavy for my liking.

I have thought about these rifles, also. Seen quite a few of them out at our shooting range, but have not yet worked the courage to ask the owners if I could take a test drive.

Light weight and they come in a range of calibers that cause me to look for a gap in my inventory.

Interested in comments anyone else might have.

I have the T3 lite in a 270wsm, 25-06, and a 300wsm and I really like them. I have never shot the 300wsm, but the others are very fun to shoot. The action is very smooth and I have never had any problem with the rings that come with the gun. Being a light gun the kick is very mangeable and yes the plastic clip is cheesy but I have never had a problem with them. Having shot some much more expensive guns for a long time, I would have a hard time now getting a new gun that is not a Tikka. Of course according to my wife I don't need another gun!

CABugle

I have the T3 Lite .300 wsm and I love it. It is a great gun and I have never been let down by it. I have hunted Ak an Ut with it so it has been in wet and dry conditions. I am not excited about the plastic magazine, I assume they did that to cut weight, but I have never had a problem with it. My gun has always been a tack driver. I don't think the recoil is too bad.

DOWNSIDE: My trigger rusted, however, has not seemed to alter the performance.

Plastic mags don't get bent and you;d have to really work hard to break one of the Tikka mags. You guys must not like the Ruger 10/22 mag either, right? The only downside I see to the mags is the price for a spare.

I have 2 T-3 Lites, a .243 that shoots half-inchor under regularlhy and a .300 Win Mag that shoots under an inch - always. I did put a Limbsaver pad on the .300, along with Talley rings. My buddy also has a .243 that shoots about the same as mine, and my brother has a T-3 Tactical in .308 that shoots itty-bitty groups, too.

The triggers are pretty good right out of the box and are easily adjustable if you feel the need.

Thanks a bunch guys! Sounds like I can buy this rifle with confidence, but will buy an extra magazine just in case.

Just went to buy it and someone beat me to it, I guess that's what you get for taking too long to make a decision. Hopefully they will get another, I guess I still have a little time prior to September.

They have a Ruger Hawkeye in SS , do they even compare to a Tikka?

Different rifle entirely. It will work, obviously. CRF versus push feed. Trigger will probably need work. It will shoot plenty good enough, but probably not quite as tight as the Tikka. It will weigh more.

It is more "traditional" - fixed mag, no "plastic," etc. It is a matter of personal preference, so handle it and see if you like it.

I see this is a bit older thread, but I'll give my opinion.

I spend alot of time looking at a new rifle last summer, and eventually settled on a Tikka T3 stainless lite. I'm a lefty, so the fact that Tikka offers a left handed model helped as well. I purchased a .270 WIN, added a limbsaver pad, DNZ one piece base/rings, and 4-12 VX-1 scope. I am 100% satisfied with this gun. Been shooting Winchester Ballistic Silvertips with great results. The plastic mag doesn't bother me a bit and functions flawlessly. Highly recommend this gun. It is a cost friendly Sako. Perhaps look at the new A7 as well.

just bought one for the wife this weekend in 300 win mag lefty, she loves it. Put Warne rings on her lepould VX-4.5-14 CDS scope. Now we need to head to the gun smith for a muzzle break and a limb saver pad. She also wants to have the stock hydro diped for a pink camo ( will post pics when it done little worried how this could turn out)

I have a tikka t3 in 25-06 and love it! My wife shot her bull this year at 400 yards with a berger 115 vld droped in his tracks. The next day my cousin shot his bull at 360 yards with the same rifle. Both one shot kills, one accurate rifle!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back